• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mature content

would you buy a new Mature Content D&D book?

• No, are you a freak?

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • No, I am not comfortable with these things in my games

Votes: 33 17.3%
  • No, think of the children

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Maybe, if it was well written

Votes: 115 60.2%
  • Yes, I really want to add these things to my game.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Yes, I like to be a perv.

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Can I subscribe to playtroll?

Votes: 12 6.3%

• Poll closed .

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Maybe, if it was well-written. Note that I do not consider locker room humor to be "mature," nor does obscenity or sexual content for the sake of shock value strike me as being "mature." I will spring for books that have serious discussions about things like sexuality and violent crime in the context of certain genres but, off the top of my head, I can only think of one such RPG book ever being written (and the content in question was confined primarily to the GM's advice section).

Raven Crowking

First Post
The BoED and BoVD didn't flop because they had mature content. They flopped because they were poorly-written and poorly-balanced.

Nah.

Ignore everything that was directly related to sex, and BoEF has a lot of material that is actually useful in an ordinary, every-day 3e campaign. Certainly things that I have used.

RC

Dausuul

Legend
The problem with labelling something as "mature" is that, often times, it's not mature. It's incredibly immature. Big head explosions and :):):):) popping out of everywhere isn't mature, it's something you talk about in junior high.

My distaste for "mature" books stems from this. Vile Darkness wasn't mature, it was moustache twisty and cartoonish. BoEF wasn't mature, it was hilariously bad at trying to say "LOOK AT HOW KINKY WE ARE!"

White Wolf in nWoD, I think, has mature down. Slasher is mature. Promethean is mature. Mature, in my terms, means the opposite of what mature seems to mean in ratings.

Yeah, this sums up my attitude pretty well. The BoVD wasn't mature content at all, it was extremely immature (for instance, the persistent "BDSM = Evil" theme drove me up the wall). I haven't read the BoEF, but I'm willing to bet it was similar.

I guess my answer would be "It depends." I would be interested in books dealing with mature themes in a mature way. Nipple Clamps of Exquisite Pain, however... hell no.

Last edited:

roguerouge

First Post
But I do think people who introduce such elements into their group need to be very careful.

We agree on that.

I will admit there are times when it is appropriate, even required by the story to address it in some way. But this is very rare.

This is one place where our experience varies.

1) By your own example, you are reducing sex to rolls. You have players make rolls for things like contraception/pregnancy.

Actually, my player sought out that text for rolls on contraception and pregnancy. She didn't want me or herself deciding such things, for some reason. But if you think that because my player made rolls for pregnancy that I'm reducing sex to rolls, well, you're conflating two very different things.

Basically, I see nothing wrong with replacing DM fiat for pregnancy, as DM fiat comes awfully close to the DM punishing the player for their character having sex. If the player knows the rules and has access to medicinal herbs and other contraceptives, that's vastly superior to DM fiat.

Think of it this way, by analogy: In DnD, the player decides whether to enter combat, under what circumstances they will do so, and uses that narrative event to further role play the character and advance the story. But the dice add the spice of randomness and risk to that decision.

Similarly, my players decide on whether and how to enter into mature adult relationships and use that narrative event to further flesh out the character and advance the story. Dice add the spice of risk to that decision.

Just because I use dice to partially determine the consequences of combat, doesn't mean I have reduced combat to die-rolling, any more than using dice reduces social interactions to die-rolling.

If you use bluff, diplomacy, intimidate, and sense motive skill checks to determine the success or failure of a player's RP decisions, then there really should not be any problem with having sex be another social interaction skill check. Having a diplomacy score does not eliminate role playing from the table.

Unless you do diceless skill checks, the problem is with talking about sex at all, not the use of a mechanic.

Personally, by the example you have sighted, I would be uncomfrotable playing at the table with your group. For a few reasons. I do not want to listen to other people at the table describe sexual encounters with NPCs. ... And too often (and again i am not assuming your group does this), it hits either the extreme of being a source of humor or arousal for people. Both are problematic. If people are giggling over pregnancy rolls or midnight trysts, well, that isn't a mature way to handle mature content. On the other end, I have had DMs and Players who dwell on the sensual. This really makes me uncomfortable. I cannot say this enough. It is not the kind of role playing I want to engage in. Others might and that is fine. But too often people at the table, assume silence means I don't object. The default assumption by DMS should be no one at the table is comfortable with mature content, unless they ask them privately.

So long as you're not saying that I'm engaging in badwrongfun, I have no problem with your admission that you don't want that at your table.

Of course, you're engaging in binary thinking. It can be in the game without being at the table. It's very easy to make this easy on other players. For example, you could role play it out via email or instant messaging, telling the player at the table that you're going to cut away from that scene and restart other action while you're together. Solo adventures, ahem, are very rarely entertaining to the other players at the table, whether it's scouting, shopping, drinking, politicking or carnal pursuits. Alternatively, you could just have the player write a journal entry about it after making the relevant skill checks. (One game I'm in rewards character journals with action points.)

I can understand your visceral reaction. Fan service in Paizo's gaming materials--and the reaction at Paizo's boards to said fan service--annoys the holy crap out of me. It drives me up the wall, especially when some posters start fantasizing about swimsuit calendars. (Actual thread, I kid you not.) It feels adolescent, leering, predatory and incredibly sad. Trust me when I say that I try to avoid that kind of thing at my tables.

I feel obligated to ask a rhetorical question, however. You say that people getting excited by or giggling over sex at the table would be off-putting. But don't people typically laugh or get pumped at hard core violence at DnD tables fairly regularly? Don't we design righteous quests and save-the-world narratives to justify that kind of behavior?

Why do we choose not to make the same effort to justify including sex at the game table? Is it inherently off-putting, or are we just not as practiced at telling those kinds of tales?

After all, the sex instinct is just as powerful as the death instinct. One would think that stories that included both would be more satisfying than those that include one or the other.

roguerouge

First Post
The BoVD wasn't mature content at all, it was extremely immature (for instance, the persistent "BDSM = Evil" theme drove me up the wall). I haven't read the BoEF, but I'm willing to bet it was similar.

Oh, then you need to go read the Book of Erotic Fantasy, then. Because it definitely does not equate BDSM with evil. Not in the slightest.

ProfessorPain

First Post
I feel obligated to ask a rhetorical question, however. You say that people getting excited by or giggling over sex at the table would be off-putting. But don't people typically laugh or get pumped at hard core violence at DnD tables fairly regularly? Don't we design righteous quests and save-the-world narratives to justify that kind of behavior?

Why do we choose not to make the same effort to justify including sex at the game table? Is it inherently off-putting, or are we just not as practiced at telling those kinds of tales?

After all, the sex instinct is just as powerful as the death instinct. One would think that stories that included both would be more satisfying than those that include one or the other.

Because sex is more private than violence. And it is a subject many find embarrassing. Something about getting pumped up with my friends over sex at the table, is much more uncomfortable than getting pumped up over violence. Simply put, I don't enjoy watching my friends get aroused.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I will spring for books that have serious discussions about things like sexuality and violent crime in the context of certain genres but, off the top of my head, I can only think of one such RPG book ever being written (and the content in question was confined primarily to the GM's advice section).
Ah, y' tease. :)

Or, what book was that?

Vaalingrade

Legend
Yeah, this sums up my attitude pretty well. The BoVD wasn't mature content at all, it was extremely immature (for instance, the persistent "BDSM = Evil" theme drove me up the wall). I haven't read the BoEF, but I'm willing to bet it was similar.

I guess my answer would be "It depends." I would be interested in books dealing with mature themes in a mature way. Nipple Clamps of Exquisite Pain, however... hell no.
While by and large, the crunch was pretty dumb and th epictures were the most bizzare thing seen outside the far realms, the BoEF actually had some rather frank and intelligent discussion on attitudes about sex amid races and religions.

It's failing was in that most of the spells were mostly 'play' spells, that no one in a serious game would every, ever take. Ironically, the BoEF would do a lot better in 4e due to rituals.

Katemare

First Post
It's failing was in that most of the spells were mostly 'play' spells, that no one in a serious game would every, ever take.
Actually, "Animate Image" bard cantrip (or was it 1st level spell?) frequented charsheets of my group. It's very useful and creative spell for low-level adventures, fits bard and clever hero concepts very well (and isn't related to sex, unless you want it to). Really, it's so hard to find decent cantrips, everyone go for high magic %)
(Can't say for others spells, though).

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Ah, y' tease. :)

Or, what book was that?

Principia Malefex. It discusses at length a couple of items that aren't typically covered in RPGs — notably rape and other violent crime, as well as the psychological ipact of such crimes upon victims and those committing them, the investigation and prosecution of those crimes in modern London, etc. Frex, until the publication of the NWoD core book, it was the only modern RPG that addressed the trauma of taking another human life (both thematically and mechanically) to the best of my knowledge.

For players who are only familiar with the approach of Hollywood law enforcement so prevalent in RPGs, it's quite a change of pace. Suddenly "I draw my gun!" isn't an option for everybody, killing other people has actual psychological consequences, and a bunch of other stuff is going on that simply. . . er. . . doesn't go on in many investigative horror RPGs. It really throws a wrench in the best plans of some players ;)

I'll readily admit that the system isn't for everybody (in fact, it's particularly clumsy in places) and the organization of the book itself is lacking, but anybody who considers himself (or herself) to be a Horror GM should read the book at least once for all of the non-standard advice and the very different approach to investigative Horror via English law.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads