• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maure Castle OOC (Full)

Voadam

Legend
Insight said:
OK here's the idea (this one also gives the group a bit of backstory).

A Tiefling Rogue who has always been the black sheep of the party. A while back, he was captured and held by the Scarlet Brotherhood. He returned to the party a few years later a completely changed man. While he still makes use of his skills at stealth and intrusion, he is equally proficient with deception and unarmed combat. And no one quite knows what he's thinking. All they can see is a strange ritual tattoo on his chest, a white mask...

Odd as he may seem, and not at all the same happy go lucky scoundrel who was captured all those years ago, he has a renewed sense of purpose, and can still be quite a useful member of the party when he wants to. Note that he has never done anything to harm anyone in the group, though his methods are sometimes ruthlessly efficient and occasionally self serving.

Did we rescue you from the brotherhood?

Just make sure he does not detect as evil because it would be the first thing I'd check. And if you showed as evil I would work to rescue you from the changes they inflicted upon you. I plan on using detect evil as a detect enemies type of power at doors, having you trip it would spoil that (in addition to the paladin stuff).

JimAde

First Post
Hey, characters are looking great. I'm still working on back-story for mine, but here's what I'm thinking mechanically:

Human Sorcerer 8/Elemental Savant 4

I don't want to take any more levels of Elemental Savant because the 5th level doesn't advance spellcasting, and I want that 6th level spell (whatever I decide it should be).

This character will have 6 feats, which will be Energy Substitution, Empower Spell plus as many draconic feats as I can get. These will include:

Draconic Heritage - the prerequisite for all the others. You choose which type of dragon you are descended from and that gives you one skill as a class skill.
Draconic Breath - Minor breath weapon
Another feat (the name escapes me) that gives resistance to the type of energy your dragon uses

So both Elemental Savant and the draconic feats require you to choose an energy type. Obviously I want this to be the same, but I can't decide which energy type would be best. My choices are:

Acid (Earth element, Black or Copper Dragon)
Fire (Fire element, Red or Gold Dragon)
Cold (Water element, White or Silver Dragon)
Electricity (Air element, Blue or Bronze Dragon)

Any opinion from the group on which element rawks the most? :) I'm leaning toward Electricity and making my 6th-level spell Chain Lightning.

Insight

Adventurer
Voadam said:
Did we rescue you from the brotherhood?

Just make sure he does not detect as evil because it would be the first thing I'd check. And if you showed as evil I would work to rescue you from the changes they inflicted upon you. I plan on using detect evil as a detect enemies type of power at doors, having you trip it would spoil that (in addition to the paladin stuff).

He came back on his own. Just wandered into your midst as if he had never been gone. He doesn't like to talk about what happened while a captive of the Scarlet Brotherhood, though he is obviously changed for the experience.

He does not detect as evil. Likewise, he seems very resistant to magical attempts to determine his alignment, read his mind, etc. If you guys would try any of those, anyway.

I need to come up with a name. 'He' is getting kind of old LOL.

I'll post 'him' soon. Still need to make some final decisions on equipment and such.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
JimAde said:
So both Elemental Savant and the draconic feats require you to choose an energy type. Obviously I want this to be the same, but I can't decide which energy type would be best. My choices are:

Any opinion from the group on which element rawks the most? :) I'm leaning toward Electricity and making my 6th-level spell Chain Lightning.
I like electricity. Storms are cool. They go BOOM! :D

Voadam

Legend
Insight said:
He came back on his own. Just wandered into your midst as if he had never been gone. He doesn't like to talk about what happened while a captive of the Scarlet Brotherhood, though he is obviously changed for the experience.

He does not detect as evil. Likewise, he seems very resistant to magical attempts to determine his alignment, read his mind, etc. If you guys would try any of those, anyway.

I need to come up with a name. 'He' is getting kind of old LOL.

I'll post 'him' soon. Still need to make some final decisions on equipment and such.

Well, detect evil is going to be part of my dungeon checking SOP before going into new rooms to see if I can detect enemies. And as a hero concept if my guy (I need to come up with name as well) knew you were captured by the evil manipulative assassin evil monk SB, he would want to rescue him. And then if he just showed up, seeming changed in aspect with a new tattoo, new martial arts, and "not want to talk about it" that would seem very suspicious and detect evil would probably be the first thing I'd do to see if they had converted you through brainwashing and an atonement spell to turn evil and join their cult faith.

And anytime we adventured together after you came back the DE SOP for enemy sweeping would be in action under appropriate circumstances.

Insight

Adventurer
Voadam said:
Well, detect evil is going to be part of my dungeon checking SOP before going into new rooms to see if I can detect enemies. And as a hero concept if my guy (I need to come up with name as well) knew you were captured by the evil manipulative assassin evil monk SB, he would want to rescue him. And then if he just showed up, seeming changed in aspect with a new tattoo, new martial arts, and "not want to talk about it" that would seem very suspicious and detect evil would probably be the first thing I'd do to see if they had converted you through brainwashing and an atonement spell to turn evil and join their cult faith.

And anytime we adventured together after you came back the DE SOP for enemy sweeping would be in action under appropriate circumstances.

That's fine. Detect Evil all you want. I promise my character will not show up. You don't need to worry about that :lol:

All he will tell you about his newly acquired abilities is that yes, the Scarlet Brotherhood began to train him to be one of their assassins. The training was not completed. It turns out he had a very good reason for sticking around, and got what he needed out of them. The SB may actually be looking for him, in case anyone is wondering.

Remember one thing as well. Tieflings are inherently evil. Now there's no reason they can't 'grow out of it' and take on another alignment, but the demonic blood in their veins is always tempting them to do evil. In our past experiences (especially prior to being captured), my char (still needs a name darnit) did not do anything overtly evil. I don't know if that means he would have shown up on Detect Evil before. But in terms of his alignment (OOC of course) he would have been like Chaotic Neutral with Evil tendencies. He has obviously changed since he was gone, and he does not detect as evil right now.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
JimAde said:
Hey, characters are looking great. I'm still working on back-story for mine, but here's what I'm thinking mechanically:

Human Sorcerer 8/Elemental Savant 4

I don't want to take any more levels of Elemental Savant because the 5th level doesn't advance spellcasting, and I want that 6th level spell (whatever I decide it should be).

This character will have 6 feats, which will be Energy Substitution, Empower Spell plus as many draconic feats as I can get. These will include:

Draconic Heritage - the prerequisite for all the others. You choose which type of dragon you are descended from and that gives you one skill as a class skill.
Draconic Breath - Minor breath weapon
Another feat (the name escapes me) that gives resistance to the type of energy your dragon uses

Another vote for electricity! Also, if my character is in the way, go ahead and fire... I have Evasion and my Reflex save is absolutely disgusting!

JimAde

First Post
Insight said:
Another vote for electricity! Also, if my character is in the way, go ahead and fire... I have Evasion and my Reflex save is absolutely disgusting!
Cool. Electricity it is! A Bronze dragon got busy somewhere in my character's background. I should be able to post the character tonight.

Heinz: I will be taking a prestige class and possibly several spells from Complete Arcane along with the Draconic feats. I will include write-ups of any Complete Arcane material in my character, so it will be a pretty long post. I don't think I'll have room for that Leadership feat after all, so that's one less complication.

Voadam

Legend
Will you have haste? I'm trying to decide between boots that give haste for 10 rounds or winged boots. I'm leaning towards the haste ones.

Insight

Adventurer
Voadam said:
Will you have haste? I'm trying to decide between boots that give haste for 10 rounds or winged boots. I'm leaning towards the haste ones.

mmmm.... Haste.... :lol:

Yeah, I'd be interested in what buffing spells everyone can cast on, well, me specifically. Area buff spells are good too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads