Maxwell's Silver Hammer: On Spells, Design, and the feeling of Sameyness in 5e

Do you think the spellcasters and spells in 5e are too "same-y?"

• 1. Yes, they are too same-y.

Votes: 28 28.9%
  • 2. They're really same-y, but I'm okay with it.

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • 3. Maybe a little, but it's a good design choice.

Votes: 43 44.3%
  • 4 No. I don't know what you're talking about.

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • 5. I have VERY STRONG OPINIONS that cannot be captured in a poll.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 6. Smash the control images, smash the control machines.

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Poll closed .

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That seems like another agenda, entirely, from escaping the 'sameyness' of 5e's same spells, different structures approach to class differentiation.
Well, one of the OP's stated points was that he disliked the current version of "cantrips"; removing the damage cantrips only means that the existing class feature is still relevant, but still accomplishes most of the OP's needs. It's a targeted house rule for OP's concerns, which are broad enough that a relevant and interesting house rule would probably be of interest to other players with similar aesthetic concerns.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well, one of the OP's stated points was that he disliked the current version of "cantrips"; removing the damage cantrips only means that the existing class feature is still relevant, but still accomplishes most of the OP's needs. It's a targeted house rule for OP's concerns, which are broad enough that a relevant and interesting house rule would probably be of interest to other players with similar aesthetic concerns.
Whether it's a separate agenda from the same source or not, it's still separate. ;) Removing attack cantrips entirely doesn't reduce sameyness, at all, not anymore than removing spells entirely would. Shuffling them so that each class or Source has their signature cantrips and spells both, would.
And, if not all classes need have cantrips, then that's a possible differentiation, as well.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
I look at it this way. The reason things look the same is because duplicaton of effects is kind of silly. Especially on monsters. Why does monster need a special ability if there an ability that already does the same thing?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'd like to see the blasting spells get a boost in overall damage frankly. Shizz like fireball, outside of scaling, which is also an issue, just isn't that impressive. If you take away the damage cantrips I think it might be appropriate to embiggen the booms.

NotAYakk

Legend
A page they could have taken from ancient D&D is the idea that almost every spell takes time to cast. Back then it was segments; today, imagine 5e D&D where efficient spells take 2 actions to cast.

And as they have 2 actions of power budget, they have boombiggen.

Cantrips that also take 2 actions make them feel different than weapon attacks.

Remove ads