May previews

Derren

Hero
Fallen Seraph said:
There is a difference from spotting it and recognizing it as a trap.

As jaelis said, recognizing what the gem does is a different check. The perception check is only for recognizing that(according to the picture) is a halfling sized pedestal in the middle of the room with a fist sized gem in it.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
jaelis said:
But it says it's a dc 29 perception check to notice the gem. You need another check to recognize it as a trap.
Yeah to notice there is something unusual about it, the Arcana check is if you wish to use Arcana instead of Perception to recognize it is a trap.

Its like, the group looks across the room with Perception but don't spot it being unusual. However, while it is harder to know exactly it is a Soul Gem the Wizard makes a Arcana check and does identify it as one, thus recognizes it that way as a trap.

Dausuul

Legend
mach1.9pants said:
FIFY :)

Edit: Ninja'd by FS. After a few of these there will be some paranoid about large gems and crystals adventuring groups out there :evil grin:

After a few of these? I've been paranoid about gems in statuary since the days of BECMI.

Derren

Hero
Fallen Seraph said:
Yeah to notice there is something unusual about it, the Arcana check is if you wish to use Arcana instead of Perception to recognize it is a trap.

Sure? Arcana is labeled as being an addition, not an alternative.

MaelStorm

First Post
Derren said:
As jaelis said, recognizing what the gem does is a different check. The perception check is only for recognizing that(according to the picture) is a halfling sized pedestal in the middle of the room with a fist sized gem in it.
To notice its not just a piece of glass or a mirror, but a gem.

Shado

Explorer
raven_dark64 said:
Did anyone notice that it is practically impossible to be hit by the flame jets once you know they are there?

It attacks as a reaction, not an interrupt. So you can move through the area and, unless you are really slow, it won't burst until after you have cleared the area. Even slow creatures could run through it (a 4-square speed creature can run 12 squares in a round, easily avoiding multiple flame jet traps). :rolleyes:

Reactions happen at the end of the action that triggered them. Not the end of the round. So our running 4 speeder, only covers 6 squares before the trap triggers. An elf would cover 9.

In the case of the basic trap, you can cover a 3 x 6 area. (Something our theoretical 4 speeder couldn't clear with a run.)

If you up the trap to Elite, you could cover a 3 x 18 area or a 5 x 15.

So, it's quite possible to catch your players with the trap, even if they're aware.

Dausuul said:
After a few of these? I've been paranoid about gems in statuary since the days of BECMI.
LOL you must have an evil DM, my players are always wary of totally empty rooms!

Have I got it right with the Warlord power
Commander's Strike
Warlord Attack 1
With a shout, you command an ally to attack.
At-Will Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: An ally of your choice makes a melee basic attack against the target
Hit: Ally's basic attack damage + your Intelligence modifier.
Does this mean that the warlord is in melee range or (I guess) there is no range on this power? Just line of effect? and the damage (e.g.) 1d8(wep) +3(allies STR) +4 (warlords INT)? or just 1d8+4?

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Derren said:
The perception check is only for recognizing that(according to the picture) is a halfling sized pedestal in the middle of the room with a fist sized gem in it.
Yes, because artwork has always been perfectly representative of the text.

Thasmodious

First Post
I wonder about skill usage during combat. Say one of the traps is activated during a fight and the thief heads across the room to disable it, starting the skill challenge. Is a skill check a standard, minor or move action? In other words, I wonder how long it would take to amass the successes. It should be tense and fun. I'm looking forward to blowing my players up on challenge failures. I discovered the fun of that when PCs in a preview game of mine were fighting undead, including a boneshard skeleton. When they bloodied it, it's boneshard burst killed the warlock outright and took down the cleric, leading to an eventual TPK. Good times.

Also, I like the range of use for skill challenges in general - from encounters that everyone is involved in to single player challenges, it looks like a large range. Its seems part of the mechanic is simply to require some time for success for some tasks.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
mach1.9pants said:
Have I got it right with the Warlord powerDoes this mean that the warlord is in melee range or (I guess) there is no range on this power? Just line of effect? and the damage (e.g.) 1d8(wep) +3(allies STR) +4 (warlords INT)? or just 1d8+4?
I think it is line of effect, and just the ally has to attack with melee and yeah I think it is ordinary ally attack as well as the Intelligence Modifier.

Remove ads