• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[May] What are you reading?

Agamon

Adventurer
Just finished the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson. LOVED that.

I was about to post that I've just started that. While I prefer more personal autobiographies, this has been fascinating. And seeing as it's Steve Jobs, it needed to be a biography. To think Jobs originally asked Isaacson to not put anything in there that made him look bad...wouldn't have been much book there, lol (I joke, I joke).

Krug

Newshound
Finished Age of Legends. Some pretty good Warhammer stories in there, though Chaos seems to win a lot. :D

Started on Jo Nesbo's The Snowman. Reads much faster than Stieg Larsson and quite gripping.

Done with The Snowman. A bit too many fake-outs, and it was kind of obvious who the final potential victim would be. Still, was quite an engaging read.

Started on Ship Breaker by Pablo Bacigalupi and about 15% done. What an amazing job of world-building. Makes other dystopian novels look silly by comparison.

Last edited:

Nellisir

Hero
Dashiell Hammett, "The Big Knockover". The FotTCL Book Sale had nothing for Raymond Chandler this time around. I was not happy. The Continental Op. is a pretty good second place, though.

Jhaelen

First Post
After finishing 'Black Hills' by Dan Simmons (and being surprised to find the protagonist and much of his story is based on a real person!), I moved on to read Robert J. Sawyer's 'WWW: Watch', the second installment in his trilogy about an emergent AI on the internet.

Actually I'm almost finished reading it after two days; it's very hard to put down. Good thing I already bought the third installment :)

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
In preparation for the relaunch of PernMUSH, I started rereading, for the umpteenth time, the Dragonriders of Pern books by the late Anne McCaffrey. Just finished Dragonflight this past weekend. Should have Dragonquest and The White Dragon finished by the end of the month. :p Trying to decide if I want to continue on with the Dragonrider focused books after, or track down Dragonsong, Dragonsinger and Dragon Drums and read those, which is logical order...I forgot how darn slick Masterharper Robinton was :D

After that, I'll probably go on another Rex Stout binge and get another half-dozen Nero Wolfe novels.

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
Spent a couple of weeks poring over The Brinewall Legacy while I was laid up, post-back-operation in preparation for a game I just started running.

Finally finished Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel in the past week, and I've moved on to Ghost Story by Jim Butcher. Next up is Just a Geek by Wil Wheaton.

Agamon

Adventurer
Just started War of the Worldveiws: Science vs Spirituality by Deepak Chopra and Leonard Mlodinow, a series of essays debating the differing veiwpoints.

Chairman7w

First Post
I was about to post that I've just started that. While I prefer more personal autobiographies, this has been fascinating. And seeing as it's Steve Jobs, it needed to be a biography. To think Jobs originally asked Isaacson to not put anything in there that made him look bad...wouldn't have been much book there, lol (I joke, I joke).

(Not too much of a joke!)

Since reading the Steve Jobs biography, I've stumbled across another wonderful book called "Insanely Simple: The Secret to Apple's Success" and I enjoyed that even more than the Job's bio. It's awesome for anybody that runs a business. Great, great, great, great, stuff.

Hit it with the simple stick!

Krug

Newshound
The Mongoliad. Not bad so far, though
the notion of the Western side assembling a secret squad team of a dozen warriors to assassinate the Khan seems highly improbable.

Remove ads