May Your Character's R.I.P

Valicor

First Post
I was hoping maybe some people would be willing to share some of the stories of character deaths. So what are some of the stories you as a player have gone through leading up to character deaths. Was is glorious, meaningless, epic, etc, etc, etc

I'll start it off with some of my experience's.

My first PC death was with an elven fighter, who decided he had had enough from his captures. He taunted them repeadately and insulted them, and tried to escape a few times. In the end he got into a dual with one of the leaders and first I lost an arm, then a head.

Another death was with a cleric of mine. We were in a dragon's dungeon clearing it, well when it was all said and done, the dragon melted me with is acid.

Then there was the time, (another dragon story), I had just gotten into melee with the dragon, after the rest of the party had hit it hard. Well the big red dragon rolled 20/20/19 He swallowed my little gnome fighter hole. What made this story funny was the round before, another PC cracked a joke saying This gnome will give me the quick energy I need to get away. Then I got swallowed, and the dragon tried to run.

I'm starting to think dragons are a real problem for me.

EOL

First Post
My first few deaths were very tramatic, I was ten and my dad was the DM. He viewed the game as a more of a puzzle or a strategy game. In any event he was running us through Keep on the Borderlands, which is brutal in any event, and there were only two players with two characters so the minute we ran into the goblins they would call the Ogre and we kept dying. So I asked him what could I do differently. He said maybe get some help. So the next set of characters wandered through the keep trying to find someone to help them. Well, we find this powerful cleric, so we head back to the Caves of Chaos and once again the goblins show up, and the cleric hits us from behind with cause light wounds!!! So we die again. In any event it was so tramatic that I did nothing but DM for years after that.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Let's see....

Necromancer from Diablo 2 for D&D 3rd ed... running through the 2nd module in the D&D series and killed by Orcs...

Dwarf Barbarian, killed in same module by an acid trap...

2nd Edition bard killed by Delayed Blast Fireball. "No, let's wait and see what this does..."

2nd Edition Archer "Gee, I hate being in Planescape and being attacked by Githiankay with Silver Swords... Oh, you say he rolled a 20?"

That's about it off the top of my head. I usually GM... although back in the start of 2nd edition I had one poor Fire Elementalist get killed like four times and made his comrades vow that if he died again that they would not raise him.

KnowTheToe

First Post
My favorite character deaths were in Boot Hill. I used to play in a group of goody goodies and when my more reckless characters would do something less than honorabe, my brother would shoot me. Everytime, even when I cheated to create the best gunman ever, my brother's character would shoot me in the head for an instant kill. I bet I lost 3-4 characters that way. That bast-rd brother of mine must have great Karma from his previous lives.

I have on ocassion when DMing D&D, let his character have it. Revenge is like ice cream, it is a dish better served cold!

edit: stupid fat fingers can't type.mad:

Last edited:

Drayan

First Post
My FIRST PC death was 2nd ed Mechwarrior. My buddies and I were pinned down in this very small room, which, oddly ebough, was out in the middle of a factory. They managed to blow out the front wall, so we all went scrambling for cover. It was at this point that the GM miscalculated my speed. I was running for cover behind a shipping container which was 50 ft away. The GM didn't think it was possible for a human to run, and I mean all out runnin for my life, 50 ft in 5 seconds (which in 3rd Ed D&D is a light jog). Anyway, to make a long story short, I got 3/4 of my head blown off. Here's the real kicker, this happened not even 5 minutes into my first roleplaying game EVER. Not to mention my friends didn't stop giving me hell for it for nearly a year. Just thought i'd share.

Then, there was this moronic fighter a guy i know was playing. The scene: this moronic fighter and the rest of the party are hitching a ride across the plains with a trade caravan. A rather large storm strikes, complete with high winds, driving rain, and lightning. This fighter is riding in a different wagon than the rest of the party, and decides to join them, so the fighter grabs his stuff, including his trusty halberd, and hops off the wagons. He's got his halberd thrown over his shoulder, and is just strolling back to the other wagon. ZAP! What's so funny is that he cussed me out for killing him, even after everyone warned him not to leave the wagon, and for playing nature like it was supposed to. go figure.

Lord Ravinous

First Post
I was a first level necromancer with 3 hp, and I was leading my horse, but little did I know he was a biter. The ^&*$ horse bit me and I bled to death. I wasn't a happy camper.

My first deadlands character was a thick blooded, southern baptist preacher with marital problems. After a day at the bar and helping the nice saloon girl repent in a nice "private confession", I decide to go home where I was greeted by changed locks, so I pound on the door until my wife comes to the door with my beloved Winchester, she called me a piece of trash and said that her momma warned her of guys like me, and something to the effect of me sleeping with every whore in town. I told her to shut her mouth and let me in my house before I got impatient, she put the rifle to my head and told me to "git"(fellow southerners know what this word means), I called her a few obsenities and told her she didn't have the guts...needless to say I got in the house, and on the front porch, and a little in the front yard.

Last edited:

JESawyer

First Post
One of the PCs in my halted 3E FR game recently died because an undead peacock in the Plains of Purple Dust lured him off of a cliff. He blew his save against massive damage. Way to go, tough guy.

Jamdin

Explorer
My most traumatic death was when my first level gnome thief tried to disarm a trap. Needless to say, I was poisoned & dead within ten minutes of the game...

Remove ads