D&D 5E Maybe D&D Should Branch?

Ichneumon

First Post
$ git checkout -b dnd_v2
Switched to a new branch "dnd_v2"

Done.

Though I can't see Wizards providing active, ongoing support for more than one D&D line. The occasional rerelease, a la the 3.5 set, will be as good as it gets, and that's better than it was before.

underfoot007ct

First Post
I was just reading through the thread about interpretation of rules, which wandered into a discussion of the marketing and reception of different editions.
mechanics for resolving social situations, both with the same dynamic and precise approach 4E combat offers. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the 4E crowd is also younger and prefers more elaborate, as opposed to traditional, fantasy, so this branch would offer more dragonmen and lasers.

That limb snapped, take 2d10 falling damage. This 4e fan gets AARP offers every few months, for several years. Many 4e players like myself, started with 1e. You also take an extra d10 for landing on your laser gun, since it is NOT mine.

Mallus

Legend
I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the 4E crowd is also younger and prefers more elaborate, as opposed to traditional, fantasy, so this branch would offer more dragonmen and lasers.
You are aware that a lot of OSR material features things like dragon-men and lasers, right?

In a deliberate attempt to recapture the feel of original D&D, and the products produced during that era.

Last edited:

It's been... well, we're closing on 40 years now, and HOW MANY editions, half-editions, and sweeping supplemental alterations?

Fact #1 : not everyone wants to play D&D the same way.
Fact #2 : different game versions don't all work the same for every gamer given fact #1 .

Really it isn't a question of branching D&D intentionally. The players are already doing that. We're playing 4E, 3E/3.5E, Pathfinder/3E to be sure, but there are a lot of other official and unofficial takes on D&D also being played - 2E AD&D, 1E AD&D, OD&D, BECMI, OSRIC, Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry, E6... How many are playing which one? Gosh, if you knew that you'd certainly be making money in the RPG industry wouldn't you?

4E is NOT going to give me the same gaming experience as E6. OSRIC is not the same game experience as Pathfinder - Pathfinder isn't even the same game experience as the 3.5 rules upon which it is based. No new version of D&D will substantively change that (at least -I- have yet to be convinced of it) but will only ADD to the already-diversified rules for D&D.

I've said before that I've sort of put my Hat of Prognostication on a shelf. Too hard to see where things are headed. I guess what I DO see, however, is that one edition will never again rule them all. Also, I think looking at successful RPG kickstarters is an intriguing indicator of where gamer interests actually lie. But I'll leave others to sift through that and draw conclusions.

Emerikol

Adventurer
The real issue is -- are there really just two camps. I for one do not think so. And while if forced to vote I vote 3e over 4e, I would definitely steal ideas from all versions.

I think one good idea they have stated is that going forward all the old stuff will be available via pdf. I suspect the core books will perhaps be available hardcover. So now you can buy the 2e Forgotten Realms and trash everything after that if thats your take. It would be mine likely if I chose a setting.

So I'm willing to let 5e target everyone and see how they do. I do think though that WOTC needs to learn who it's potential customers are. There is a large market for what is derisively called process simulation gaming. Pathfinder and 3.5 together form the largest group of gamers using the D&D model. 4e is a close second with a more narrative model. WOTC can't just produce mechanics that walk all over the former group without some repercussions. And they need to fulfill the needs 4e players have for their style of game too.

So what is the best aproach? Obviously choose to publish the right modules. Pay attention to what people care about. I swing back and forth between thinking they get it and thinking they don't. It depends on the L&L article just put out and my own state of mind at the time.

So the needs of both camps need to be seriously considered. They need people on their staffs who really get those camps. Right now all they have on staff are 4e players. They need someone who is playing 3.5e even right now. They had Monte but who else is there? Someone needs to speak for all sides.

Tony Vargas

Legend
While I'm another over-40 4e fan, I do find myself gaming with a younger and less homogeneously-longtime-D&Der crowd under 4e than I did under 3e. So, I can see where the impression comes from. 3.5/Pathfinder games I see happening at the FLGS (one each) have a more uniformly 30+ crowd (even a couple over 60), while the 4e games have a lot more 20-somethings and a sprinkling of actual kids (but still are about half gamers who, like me, started playing in the previous millennium).

One phenomenon I find heartening is that you see families gaming. You'll have a dad who gamed back in the day, and he brings his kids to play.

Emerikol

Adventurer
While I'm another over-40 4e fan, I do find myself gaming with a younger and less homogeneously-longtime-D&Der crowd under 4e than I did under 3e. So, I can see where the impression comes from. 3.5/Pathfinder games I see happening at the FLGS (one each) have a more uniformly 30+ crowd (even a couple over 60), while the 4e games have a lot more 20-somethings and a sprinkling of actual kids (but still are about half gamers who, like me, started playing in the previous millennium).

One phenomenon I find heartening is that you see families gaming. You'll have a dad who gamed back in the day, and he brings his kids to play.

Yeah I don't see the editions as a young old thing but more a playstyle thing. Since 4e is the current edition people who are just starting are going to try that game. I've heard stories of people starting with one edition and then being amazed how good some alternate edition is after they try it. And that goes both ways. (3e --> 4e and 4e --> 3e). In both cases, the people were new.

I too love to see kids and families playing. I think D&D has broad appeal to all ages and sexes. So it actually makes sense. I like to have a kid in my campaigns. They bring a fresh enthusiasm that ignites the older crowd. I'll admit as a DM that I work harder to involve the kid perhaps than I do the others. I rarely play a "chosen" one campaign where one character is part of a prophecy or something but if you have a kid he's the easy choice. Most of the adults seem less offended to give that role to the kid.

Emerikol

Adventurer
Another thought. WOTC has announced that they are going to have the entire catalog from the past available as pdf files. Perhaps this means they have already branched? I mean if the main books are available in hardback and all the support stuff is available in pdf then I'd call that a supported edition.

So the branch has begun in a way. 1e,2e,3e, and 4e are all soon to be "supported". This I think will make the 4e people happier as I think they are feeling most threatened by 5e eliminating access to their game.

Remove ads