MCDM monster book “Flee Mortals!” KS is live!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Although I don't have it and have just seen previews, I'll plug @Morrus and the Level Up Monster Book, it is in some ways a similar concept to Flee Mortals, and those previews looked excellent. I loved the design of the Green Dragon, and even thought the art of it was superb (like a dragon that actually sits in a pond of poison!)
Yeah. I love the monsters I've seen and used in the PDF. I'm just waiting for my hardcopy to arrive. I think @Morrus said some time in April, but I can't remember for certain.

He has been asked about Pathfinder 1/2 over and over. He has said he has no thoughts about it because he has never played them, and is not interested as he has enough hobbies in his life to fill his spare time.

When he was just making youtube videos in his spare time it didn't seem weird to me that he only really talked about 5e and some aspects of earlier editions. But as he has become head of a game company and now talks so much more about design, it's weird that he's not at least aware if not curious as to what is going on in the rest of the space. That's also true of the OSR; I think in a video he attributed the phrase "rulings not rules" to 4e of all things. Recently he seems to have been using his channel to spotlight other games by bringing other people in to talk about them, which is nice.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
But as he has become head of a game company and now talks so much more about design, it's weird that he's not at least aware if not curious as to what is going on in the rest of the space.
Personal disinterest in Pathfinder is not the same as being incurious about what is going on in TTRPGs. He has expressed interest in others (desire to try Numenera has come up in recent Twitch chat streams), often times describing exact mechanics like the dice pool systems.

He has also mentioned that he has learned the lesson that if you describe your influences enough then people are constantly poring over stuff looking for what you’ve ripped off, and he’s not interested in fueling that in the community. His silence on rpg design influences should not be seen as unawareness, imo.

darjr

I crit!
When he was just making youtube videos in his spare time it didn't seem weird to me that he only really talked about 5e and some aspects of earlier editions. But as he has become head of a game company and now talks so much more about design, it's weird that he's not at least aware if not curious as to what is going on in the rest of the space. That's also true of the OSR; I think in a video he attributed the phrase "rulings not rules" to 4e of all things. Recently he seems to have been using his channel to spotlight other games by bringing other people in to talk about them, which is nice.
Yea, that rulings not rules attributed to 4e was a record scratch to me. But that thing he started having guest on to talk about other games? He mentioned it very early on as far as I can remember.

I think they played Paranoia, he talked about Morhership before I ever heard of it and I think helped lift it to where it is now, at least in awareness. I’m almost certain there are other instances, a lot of them on his twitch. Oh and he wrote the first Dune RPG.

I mean if you want to say he talked a lot about D&D on a D&D YouTube channel, well yea.

Yea, that rulings not rules attributed to 4e was a record scratch to me. But that thing he started having guest on to talk about other games? He mentioned it very early on as far as I can remember.

I think they played Paranoia, he talked about Morhership before I ever heard of it and I think helped lift it to where it is now, at least in awareness. I’m almost certain there are other instances, a lot of them on his twitch. Oh and he wrote the first Dune RPG.

I mean if you want to say he talked a lot about D&D on a D&D YouTube channel, well yea.
I haven't watched 100% of his streams, though I've watched most of running the game and enjoy those videos. It's just odd because if his fans are asking him again and again about pathfinder, you would think a person would take a look just out of curiosity? Not that he has to do a bunch of videos or provide content

He has also mentioned that he has learned the lesson that if you describe your influences enough then people are constantly poring over stuff looking for what you’ve ripped off, and he’s not interested in fueling that in the community. His silence on rpg design influences should not be seen as unawareness, imo.
So, in this case saying that he is unaware is the more charitable interpretation. If he aware, for example, that something like "rulings not rules" comes from Matt Finch and the osr before making its way into 5e, and just decides to not attribute that idea to him, that's kind of shady. I don't think that citing your influences means that you are ripping anyone off. There's so much crossover and cross-polination in ttrpgs that that's kind of the norm. Imagine if someone made a pbta game but just didn't mention that they were using Apocalypse World as a base--that would be ripping someone off.

Remove ads