D&D 5E MCDM to revisit the Illrigger.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
There is an issue with the release, from the last thing I saw, though that is short term (some kind of thing where it isn't updating, I think).

There is an issue with the release, from the last thing I saw, though that is short term (some kind of thing where it isn't updating, I think).
Was able to download it just fine on my end - got my email ~1 hour ago.

For those of us who bought the original, they seemingly bundled the revised version in with your original purchase. The email link pointed me to my original order on the web store, but the download link contained a zip file with both the original and the revised Illrigger PDFs.

May just be a matter of needing to manually add it to your order on their end first.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
well, I have a PDF version....but I have no idea where/how I bought/got it. I thought I bought it, but....

MCDM says I don't have an account on their shop site, so, hmmmmm. And no, I didn't pirate it.

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
well, I have a PDF version....but I have no idea where/how I bought/got it. I thought I bought it, but....

MCDM says I don't have an account on their shop site, so, hmmmmm. And no, I didn't pirate it.
Were you a patron at the time and aren’t any longer? I got mine that way and similarly haven’t gotten the update, that’s gonna be my guess.

EDIT: I can confirm that at least for me, this was the case. Discord mod helped me out by letting me know that those who got the original PDF through Patreon can get the update by resubscribing.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Were you a patron at the time and aren’t any longer? I got mine that way and similarly haven’t gotten the update, that’s gonna be my guess.
I was a patreon. thanks, saw your edit: I don't need to re-up for this......MCDM has A LOT of my money already....and I doubt anyone will ever use this PDF in my games.

Reynard

Legend

EDIT: I can confirm that at least for me, this was the case. Discord mod helped me out by letting me know that those who got the original PDF through Patreon can get the update by resubscribing.

Ah ha! I had the same question but that explains it.

I get a bazillion ads for McDM. What is it? Why do they think I’m going to buy it?
MCDM Productions. It's a smaller TTRPG publisher that grew out of a YouTube channel run by Matt Colville, who created a hefty playlist of videos of advice on DMing, in addition to having worked in TTRPGs and video games professionally.

They've put out a handful of third party books and character classes for 5e, but after the OGL fiasco earlier this year, they decided to begin developing their own game system, which just recently began a crowdfunding campaign (already funded) within the past couple of weeks. That is presumably the cause for the ads - having a marketing campaign prepared to help get the word out is only sensible, since they had no way of knowing that they would smash their funding goal in advance.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
I get a bazillion ads for McDM. What is it? Why do they think I’m going to buy it?
The videos that Matt Colville made over the years are phenomenal guidance for DMs. I agree with 95% of them - as does he. He contradicts his guidance here or there and is critical of earlier statements at times. But it is all worth a listen. It is something I listen to on the drive to work on occasion.

The new game is one of several that will be fighting with D&D in 2024. My biggest fear is that we will fracture the community with all of these new competitors to D&D coming out. Unlike board games, people tend to stick with one game they like to run ... and if people in a community disagree on which rule set to run, they may find gathering players harder, or finding rule knowledgeable players harder. As people struggle through unweaving the rule issues that come with new editions, we could see attrition. I liken the issue to a company that decides to use several different programing language when building the same product. It could be done if you can partition the elements correctly, but you lose out on cross expertise and often on the ability for people to support each other.

For example, imagine that we split the D&D5E forums here into 5 different forums and you were only going to be a member of 1 or 2 of them. That would have a lot of impacts, right?

Remove ads