• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MCDM Update: The Power Roll

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
If by ‘for their own sake’ you mean ‘to have a design that meets the specific ‘requirements’ of a certain module like spellcasting vs melee combat’ then yes.
I mean more broadly about his design philosophy. When discussing Flee, Mortals, he has specifically said they wanted to come up with more areas that they could create new rules systems around. He's a guy who likes rules systems.

I really like the idea.

It does make me think they could forgo hit points and numeric damage altogether. Have the results in those tables be status effects or imposed conditions.
Exaclty where I'm thinking. I think hit points only really need to exist for things like Challenges/Skill Checks at this point, where you have a Countdown and successes decrease it to 0. Enemies and combat could be a game of conditions and wounds.

darkbard

Legend
Millions contributed and STILL not even close to a finished product. I know exactly how this will end. Hint: it starts with an apology 😂
You've been told in other threads already that the Kickstarter campaign was (1) very open with the fact that funding would be for development of the game (ie, actually making it, then playtesting, revising, and so on) and (2) this is how Kickstarters work, generally. At this point, one must assume your posts like this are trolling, intended merely to stir up ill will.

Theory of Games

Disaffected Game Warrior
You've been told in other threads already that the Kickstarter campaign was (1) very open with the fact that funding would be for development of the game (ie, actually making it, then playtesting, revising, and so on) and (2) this is how Kickstarters work, generally. At this point, one must assume your posts like this are trolling, intended merely to stir up ill will.
I'm not the one doing the trolling here. Most professional rpg designers provide a clear deadline for the finished product. The MCDM rpg people?

"We think we can get these two PDFs finished by June of 2025, but we don’t think you’ll have to wait that long to play it.
If things go well, we intend to get you, our backers, a playtest packet sometime next year, hopefully by Q2 2024...."

All Matt & Co. want to do is DnD 4.5 edition. Shouldn't take that long. Plus MCDM's getting lapped by completed games in the same genre (Mercer's eating Coville's lunch at the moment). By the time MCDM MAYBE gets done no one will be remotely interested in playing it.

But that's just my experience.

Remove ads