James Introcaso talks about the Power Roll, a change to the MCDM resolution system.

darjr

I crit!
James Introcaso: Check out We're talking about the power roll! A changed to the MCDM RPG mechanic. #mcdm #ttrpg

Still 2d6 but like PBTA you compare it to a reference. Above a 7 you do some damage and some minor effect, 8-10 is more damage and a bigger effect, 11-12 and a lot of damage and a big effect.

Not everything will follow that exactly however.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Tests are more like the Power Roll too.

challenging test is 8+ and harder tests are 11+

And there is a pool of tokens that can be that “extra thing”. Fortune Tokens.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Over $4m in Kickstarter long over and these guys still don't have a complete game. Grifters gonna grift?
I'm not a huge fan of Kickstarter and I know very little about MCDM. Still however, your comment seems unnecessarily unkind. Kickstarter started out as a place where you get people who like your concept to back it (hence the term "backer" and not "shopper") so that you can bring it to fruition.

That companies like ENPublishing have their stuff ready to go as soon as the Kickstart ends is a tribute to THEM, not a condemnation on anyone else.

MCDM has been transparent about their playtest period throughout and have yet to miss their planned completion date, so I don't think we can count this one as a grift yet.

Last edited:

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Over $4m in Kickstarter long over and these guys still don't have a complete game. Grifters gonna grift?
Calling MCDM grifters seems absurd to me. They're folks with an established track record of publishing, and they made perfectly clear in the Kickstarter that it was for designing and creating* the game. Not just for printing something that had already been designed.

*(incidentally how Kickstarters were originally intended and expected to work, rather than as pre-orders)

Agreed. This is not a grift. Colville and MCDM are long termers who make their living on having a continuing reputation of delivering consistent content*. They are in it for the long term, not a flash-in-the-pan or fly-by-night grifting operation.
*that you may or may not like or think valuable, but is always high quality from a production standpoint.

Edit: note: future clarification on what was presented to potential backers as what they were getting has obviated some of this. Apparently getting to watch the building and testing of the basic resolution system was sold as part of the value of backing the project.
At the same time, it does concern me that they are making radical changes to (one of?) the basic resolution system(s). It seems to me that this has to be at least semi-solid (and tested) before you have something upon which to make your pitch. At the very least, it is something that could jeopardize the timeline.

I like Matt Colville. I'll have to check, but IIRC I Patreon him (thus giving him an effective blank check to 'just do something I will find valuable and entertaining'). If I were* to give him a funds towards a specific project with an honestly relatively tight timetable, I would want to have some of these foundational pillars of the project rather solid. That said, there is a reputation involved. So perhaps the pitch is (really, or contextually) a project-driven blank check (i.e. 'give Matt some extra money for this project he has in mind, he will produce something you will find valuable and entertaining').
*acknowledgement: I have been too busy this past year to figure out Kickstarters to back, so I missed this one.

Last edited:

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
At the same time, it does concern me that they are making radical changes to (one of?) the basic resolution system(s). It seems to me that this has to be at least semi-solid (and tested) before you have something upon which to make your pitch. At the very least, it is something that could jeopardize the timeline.
That's where I'm at.

I get that they were upfront with saying that they were still designing the game when they asked for money, but man, I would expect the basic one sentence resolution mechanic to not change. I can definitely see people who backed this not being super excited of this going into a PBTA direction if you're more of a trad person.

Retreater

Legend
That's where I'm at.

I get that they were upfront with saying that they were still designing the game when they asked for money, but man, I would expect the basic one sentence resolution mechanic to not change. I can definitely see people who backed this not being super excited of this going into a PBTA direction if you're more of a trad person.
Yeah, my excitement has decreased. Primarily because I already have Dungeon World and other PBTA games - and I think this resolution mechanic feels at odds with the other crunchy bits they were promoting for the system.
I'm not on the Patreon because I want to "set it and forget it" and not get wrapped up in the playtest. (Also, I've done nothing with the OneD&D, Startfinder, or 13th Age 2 playtests.)

Remove ads