MCDM Update: The Power Roll

I mean the other thing than just silently not supporting something is to publicly shame it. And I think its a business model that deserves to be publicly shamed which I am doing here. I think normalizing it is a serious issue of the trends of anti consumer and anti worker righters we have had over the last 5 decades.

So I am not okay with just don't back it.
Terrible, terrible, terrible take. People use Kickstarter because they don't have the means to generate capital in our contemporary society to get the project off the ground themselves. Kickstarter was originally for projects that had nothing, absolutely nothing, other then maybe a proof of concept. This disgusting entitlement that Kickstarter instead be a platform purely for Quirkstarts and pre-sales is antiethical to the reason crowdfunding exists in the first place.

mamba

Legend
I'm not sure where tables is coming from. Its literally PbtA ranges. He even says they'll be using the same three ranges for everything. A lot of criticisms so far aren't paying close attention to the video.
the tables are the effects that the three ranges give you based on whatever you were doing

the tables are the effects that the three ranges give you based on whatever you were doing
Yes but its just like PbtA where each Move gives you the effects for the three ranges seen throughout the game. And its three ranges in this game. There isn't a substantial difference because both games even use 2d6. The only difference is the actual ranges themselves.

mamba

Legend
Yes but its just like PbtA where each Move gives you the effects for the three ranges seen throughout the game.
whether you call it a table or a range makes no real difference imo, maybe I misunderstood your question, I thought you were wondering that people meant when talking about tables and I explained that, it is that depending on your action, you have a different triplet (table) of outcomes, depending on what you roll

This is a solid decision, but also, like, really obvious - PbtA moves are just a good design base (though using them just to say you do 3/4/5 damage is not exactly thrilling). Actual Rolemaster/HARP-like tables? Now that would be exciting!

It's very possible their follow-up video on this topic will be 'we found out that having 20+ separate move tables was a hassle and people couldn't remember more than a few', necessitating another step towards PbtA 7-ish core moves that your features then modify.

Staffan

Legend
This is a solid decision, but also, like, really obvious - PbtA moves are just a good design base (though using them just to say you do 3/4/5 damage is not exactly thrilling). Actual Rolemaster/HARP-like tables? Now that would be exciting!
My impression from the video was that they were very much in the exploratory stages of messing around with the mechanic to see what kind of thing it works well for. Matt mentioned the possibility of having different classes themed around having different ways of interacting with it. For example, maybe a fire mage does marginally different damage at different results, but with bigger AOEs, while a rogue-type power might always inflict a particular debuff but get much more damage from a good result.

I'm not an expert in PBtA games, but it does seem to me that the Power Roll has one major difference, and that's the tone of the results. In PBtA, the results are Bad, Meh, and Good, while in MCDM they are Meh, Good, and Great.

Epizarwin

Explorer

It's very possible their follow-up video on this topic will be 'we found out that having 20+ separate move tables was a hassle and people couldn't remember more than a few', necessitating another step towards PbtA 7-ish core moves that your features then modify.
They control more than just damage and no one other than the dm gets even close to 20. I think in the tests it's 4 to 6 for the level one-ish characters.

darjr

I crit!

It sounds like they will be in the section for classes and in your sheet, no need to know them all.

Remove ads