MCU Phase 4 news

Ryujin

Legend
Moon Knight would be a much better candidate for a TV show. The multiple identity issue would be hard to do justice to in a movie format compared to series.

I agree. He'd need a lot more character development than a 2 hour movie could give.

I love Moon Knight.

I also think his "multiple personalities" make him a problematic candidate for modern mass-market media. We have such trouble with misrepresentation of mental health issues already, that this would probably not be a positive move for Marvel to make.

Mental illness was handled pretty well in "Legion."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mental illness was handled pretty well in "Legion."

I only watched a couple of episodes. The common critique of it I see is that his mental illness is used as a substitute for character development. And, from what I saw, it isn't clear *what* illnesses the character has, and what is merely his superpower, and what's an outside force impinging on him.

We might more point at Tony Stark and Jessica Jones, in their treatment of PTSD, as better examples, where the mental health problem does not define the character entirely. But that's only one illness they've dealt with, though.

Moon Knight... is defined by his illness. And the illness Moon Knight has isn't much like the real-world illness it is supposed to model.

And again, I love Moon Knight.

I am curious what the over-arching theme of Phase 4 is. The previous Marvel phases all led up to the Infinity Stones and Thanos...so where is this one going to lead?

Mercurius

Legend
I am curious what the over-arching theme of Phase 4 is. The previous Marvel phases all led up to the Infinity Stones and Thanos...so where is this one going to lead?

It seems transitional. At most they'll plant the seeds for the next big meta-arc in phases 5-6.

Mercurius

Legend
Yet. I mean, really, in terms of development time, they only just got control of those licenses. I'd vastly prefer they make sure they have really good ideas for those before taking off with them. Especially the FF. They're some of the hardest do to right, but are probably among the best properties if they can do it.

Yes, agreed. I suppose I'm not as much disappointed that they're not coming out in the next two years, but I was under the impression we'd get a longer range plan. If Phase 4 is somewhat transitional, with the new status quo established and a bunch of anthology type stories, Phase 5 will probably be the set-up for the next big story in Phase 6. So I would expect Phase 5 to bring in the Fantastic Four (and thus of course Doctor Doom), and maybe hint at Galactus and the Silver Surfer, who I would guess might show up in Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (maybe a Mantis - Surfer romance, like in the 80s-90s comic run).

Or maybe Phase 5 establishes the FF and X-Men in their own separate arcs, and they--along with the Avengers--are brought together in a Secret Wars story.

As for the X-Men, I agree that we're probably years out. I wouldn't even be surprised if they focus on bringing in FF first, have a big meta-arc (e.g. Galactus), and only then introduce mutants as the "third wave" of stories, after phase 6...so that could be 5+ years. But I'm just speculating.

Now if I were Kevin Feige what I'd do is start a TV series focused on Professor Xavier establishing the School for Gifted Youngsters. A back to basics approach. Maybe this takes place in a parallel Earth, or maybe several years back - at least five, after the Snap. Then you do a few seasons of developing the core X-Men to young adults, then introduce them to the MCU in a big event, possibly Secret Wars (this works well if they want to develop parallel Earths, with mutants existing in their own).

Ryujin

Legend
I only watched a couple of episodes. The common critique of it I see is that his mental illness is used as a substitute for character development. And, from what I saw, it isn't clear *what* illnesses the character has, and what is merely his superpower, and what's an outside force impinging on him.

We might more point at Tony Stark and Jessica Jones, in their treatment of PTSD, as better examples, where the mental health problem does not define the character entirely. But that's only one illness they've dealt with, though.

Moon Knight... is defined by his illness. And the illness Moon Knight has isn't much like the real-world illness it is supposed to model.

And again, I love Moon Knight.

Oddly enough your initial comments are exactly because David Haller and his powers are defined by his mental illness, as with Moon Knight. It's just more..... more.

Richards

Legend
Just be glad it's Phase 4 and not Phase IV...

MV5BYWJjYzBkMGYtMzRhZi00YWM5LWJmYjUtYzFlNmVmMzU1M2IwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxMTY0OTQ@._V1_UY268_CR1,0.jpg

...especially since there's no talk of Ant-Man's presence.

Johnathan

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Part of the conditions surrounding Disney's purchase of Fox's IP was that there could no development of anything Fox-owned until the ink was dry and the deal had been finalized.

That... doesn't sound unreasonable, actually. I'm okay with that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases