• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mearls Monster Makeover: Beholder

Glyfair

Explorer
Fishbone said:
Beholders must kick ass once again.

I'm sorry, beholders NEVER did that. They have always lacked the necessary appendage for that (barring some really odd variation that appeared once in an appendix of a poorly circulated supplement, and they probably didn't kick either).

Fishbone

First Post
You know what I mean. It used to be a real tough fight to get your XP and money from them. Now creatures of a "cooler" breed get lower CR and stronger abilities just because.
Mid level demons, angels, and dragons eat Beholders for breakfast and pick their teeth with Mind Flayer tentacles and its just not right.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
blargney the second said:
Kunimatyu, the point of reworking the Antimagic Eye was to get rid of the 15 minutes of recalculation required by suppressing magic. You just put that back in...

I solve this by getting rid of about 90% of the buff spells. The beholder (and antimagic in general) is not the problem. The buffs are.

happyelf

First Post
Generally I think buffs are the problem, not dispel rays. To see this in action, compare these two statements:

"AIEEE, my mighty magics cannot aid us against this abomination!"

"BOOYAH, my obsessive interlacing of enchantments have made us invincible!"

Wich of these lines are cooler? I'd vote number one.

Personally, i'd change the central eye to inflict the effects of the three power words (blind, stun, kill) all at once, with harsh save numbers and no SR allowed. This would allow for a suitably awesome effect, and has the added bonus of making beholder civl wars freakin' hilarious.

Last edited:

Thurbane

First Post
happyelf said:
Generally I think buffs are the problem, not dispel rays. To see this in action, compare these two statements:

"AIEEE, my mighty magics cannot aid us against this abomination!"

"BOOYAH, my obsessive interlacing of enchantments have made us invincible!"

Wich of these lines are cooler? I'd vote number one.
In the words of Hudson "Yo-frickin-ay man!". :)

I can't believe anyone would want to nerf the major ability of a D&D icon like the Beholder just because it would be "too hard" to recalculate combat abilties without all the buffs up...

Just out of curiosity, does that mean people think Antimagic Field should be dropped from the game as well?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I like the various thoughts on save-or-die spells, especially flesh to stone. I use a similar mechanic for basilisks in my campaign: they deal Dex damage, halved with a Fort save, and losing all your Dex turns you to stone.

glass

(he, him)
Thurbane said:
Just out of curiosity, does that mean people think Antimagic Field should be dropped from the game as well?
Some of the designers do, I think. It has been mentioned in the design columns before.

glass.

Glyfair

Explorer
glass said:
Some of the designers do, I think. It has been mentioned in the design columns before.

Indeed. There tend to be two types of spells that are questioned by the WotC designers and developers, it seems. The first is the "not fun" things, that are rarely fun except in certain limited situations. The second is the "not worth the complications they cause" things. Antimagic Field comes under the second qualifier.

I think you can find a major list of the things that go under the second category by going over the Dragon's Sage Advice column over the years and see which things regularly have questions about them.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
CRGreathouse said:
I like the various thoughts on save-or-die spells, especially flesh to stone. I use a similar mechanic for basilisks in my campaign: they deal Dex damage, halved with a Fort save, and losing all your Dex turns you to stone.
How much Dex damage? Is there a "racial bonus" to the save DC?

Remove ads