D&D 5E Mechanics you don't want to see, ever

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Haven't read the entire thread-apologies for dups. Heavy dose of opinion here.

Critical Threats/Hits ala 3.x

Cyclic Initiative and Abilities/Spells that are tied to "until the start/end of your next turn" and the like

Level Drain/Level Loss (though Undead need something to make them more frightening than they have been in recent editions ).

Balanced Encounter building. They can't get it right after 3 editions anyway because it's too difficult to judge individual players/groups/styles, so why bake in all the mechanics for DMs to worry/spend too much time on?

"Off" spell levels- Level 5 Wizards get 3rd level spells. Either go 4E (break out character levels) or 13th Age/DW (condense character levels-my pref).

Vancian/Quasi Vancian Casting, I love the books, love the fictional reasoning- in play it's just a resource management accounting game that takes all the magic out of magic, and encourages metagame thinking.

XP for monsters/gold

Spellcaster levels for Monsters (back to 4E style powers)
I really wouldn’t mind an adaptation of 13th age spell slots. It would need some tweaking. But, it’s a more pragmatic solution to casting a 1st level spell at 20th level that does 3d6 which is a joke at that level.

We actually arent logically equipped to say whether a chaotically alligned plane would be capable or incapable of language. However if we assume it is, then it stands ti reason that language capability's scope would indeed be subject ti the altered physics

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I do find it odd that people can deal with wizards, fairies, demons, magic potions, mystic wells, gods and pantheons, but alignment as a language is just too much. Especially when lawful good is a place and lawful evil is a place in the game. Literal places in the game.

I do find it odd that people can deal with wizards, fairies, demons, magic potions, mystic wells, gods and pantheons, but alignment as a language is just too much.
I know right? Weird when you consider that arcane magic is all about weird manipulations of a linguistic subtrata in the universe to an extent and that the formulae for spells involve approximating watered down versions of the more pure conceptd the universe already holds into miniaturized forms barely able to be expressed with you anatomy the bulk of which come in verbal form.

Remove ads