D&D 5E Mechanics you don't want to see, ever

Hussar

Legend
For me, it comes to one basic point -

You want to do something. Another player at the table says, "Please don't do that, you would make the game unfun for me if you do that". If you then proceed to do that, then you, sir, are an asshat. If someone asks you not to do something because doing that thing would make the session/game unfun for that person, that's the end of the conversation. I, frankly, wouldn't want to play with anyone who thinks otherwise.

Heck, there's a REASON that you get abilities like the Evoker Wizard's ability to shape spells to not hit allies. It's precisely to avoid this kind of stuff.

--------------

But, to wrench things back to the original post of this thread:

Mechanics I Don't Want to See Again

1. Any sort of "quest" mechanic built into a class. Paladin's warhorse, fighting for levels, that sort of thing. That should absolutely be left at the level of campaign building and not class.

2. XP/Level drain - I dropped this, more or less in 2e (allowed level drain to be healed over time) and never looked back.

3. Area of Effect Save or Die effects. Because of the way the mechanics work, these aren't really save or die, but, rather, pick random PC to die because it's pretty much guaranteed that someone will.

4. Bajillion damage types. Yes, we need some, but, 4e let this get way, way out of hand.

That's all I can think of for now.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Mechanics I don't want
  • requirement that the player do something physical in order for the character to get a benefit (sing, silly voice, dance, etc).
  • anything that requires miniatures. I'm on a budget for both space and money. I don't have enough either to force me to play that kind of game.
  • alignment languages

Mechanics I don't want
  • requirement that the player do something physical in order for the character to get a benefit (sing, silly voice, dance, etc).
  • anything that requires miniatures. I'm on a budget for both space and money. I don't have enough either to force me to play that kind of game.
  • alignment languages
Alignment languages? Their technically are none. There are only languages which some alignments have a lean toward speaking and only by extension. Also this is one of the most realistic parts of the d&d languages. Languages and ideology in the real world tend to split from mutual causal factors at times but frequently do not bear a direct causal rlationship between eachother directly. Its cool. And you arent prevented from speaking them due to your alignment.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
it is kind of like playing with that guy that likes to pick pockets and steal from the party all the time.Most players would prefer to play without him and work in a group as a team. And that player always uses the excuse I am just role playing my character.
Yes, and it's down to the party to react to that situation in character. Turn the Thief upside down and shake until all the loot falls out. Send the Thief down the road. Kill it in its sleep.

But keep it in character.

We let things play out IC. If a player is stealing from the party and gets caught, the other PC's are free to react how they want based on their character's inclination.

One time a rogue PC ended up killing a well loved local NPC in a robbery gone wrong while the rest of the PC's were doing other things in downtime. We all left town and a day out we were run down by the local lord and his retinue who demanded the PC. When we heard what'd happened, we had no trouble believing it based on past actions IC and we handed him right over and continued on our way.

IC consequences for IC actions are fine by me.

Alignment languages? Their technically are none.

In 1e there were literally languages for each alignment. So you could speak Lawful Neutral or Chaotic Evil.

We let things play out IC. If a player is stealing from the party and gets caught, the other PC's are free to react how they want based on their character's inclination.

One time a rogue PC ended up killing a well loved local NPC in a robbery gone wrong while the rest of the PC's were doing other things in downtime. We all left town and a day out we were run down by the local lord and his retinue who demanded the PC. When we heard what'd happened, we had no trouble believing it based on past actions IC and we handed him right over and continued on our way.

IC consequences for IC actions are fine by me.

In 1e there were literally languages for each alignment. So you could speak Lawful Neutral or Chaotic Evil.
Ah. 1e. Truly it has been a while. I had forgotten.

In a world where physics itself is affected by cosmic good and evil (this is actually canon in all editions) though languages speakable only on the basis of alignment are plausible and neat though when you think about it.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Ah. 1e. Truly it has been a while. I had forgotten.

In a world where physics itself is affected by cosmic good and evil (this is actually canon in all editions) though languages speakable only on the basis of alignment are plausible and neat though when you think about it.
They aren't plausible at all. In no way does self interest create grammar, syntax, and meaning

Remove ads