medieval architecture in tropical climates

jasper

Rotten DM
Get your head of the Caribbean . The Tropics are 0 to 23 degrees north & South of the equator. Spin globe to Africa or Asia. The do research Pre1600 or Pre1500 back to where ever you think the Medieval Period begins.

Forts in Florida and the Caribbean (think St. Augustine, Havana's Spanish forts, and San Juan's fort (actually the entire layout of the old city is pretty common but still neat) are what pops to my mind.

I think to get earlier medieval architecture you would have to go somewhere else. Maybe India, although I am not too familiar with it. You could definitely look at architecture in Southern Italy. The ecosystem, while not exactly Caribbean, is close. Northern Africa might have a few gems too.

Great question. I am curious to read what everyone else comes up with. (y)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Actuallt Ive just remembered that Belize is a Caribean country too - which means that the Mayan architecture of Belize is Caribean, SO if you want Medieval Caribean go Maya

A62E8DA7-9073-48D3-B53F-F3300DFBF2B1.jpeg

Does the OP want specifically Roman and Gothic in a tropical clime?

If that is the case, then scratch my examples and some others here.
I think the OP is looking for medieval European culture/architecture in warmer climes, like the subtropics. That's why I suggested the crusader states, rather than medieval India. Norman Sicily is also a good example. Both are going to give you a mix of occidental and oriental influences.

Last edited:

GlassJaw

Hero
Does the OP want specifically Roman and Gothic in a tropical clime?

If that is the case, then scratch my examples and some others here.

Sort of, although I would replace Roman/Gothic with "traditional D&D fantasy."

I think the OP is looking for medieval European culture/architecture in warmer climes, like the subtropics. That's why I suggested the crusader states, rather than medieval India. Norman Sicily is also a good example. Both are going to give you a mix of occidental and oriental influences.

I probably could have posed my question more clearly. Basically what would a medieval European (or traditional fantasy) culture look like if it originated in or migrated to a tropical climate?

I'm certainly aware of other tropical cultures around the globe but they are clearly not European. I may incorporate other cultures into the campaign but they will be somewhat unknown at the start.

The quick overview of the setting is a country with an ocean to the south. The southern coast is tropical savanna (like the Florida Keys) and the innumerable islands are tropical (like the Caribbean). It's loosely based on Keoland but I'm altering the map and not adhering to Greyhawk canon per se.

Architecture is based on need, available materials, and skill base.

Is defense from organized enemy a priority? Medieval fortifications are pretty standard across cultures.

What is your labor force? If the answer is 'plentiful slaves' for example, you can afford to build on a lavish scale (and will likely have a need for strong defenses). If it is 'hired freemen', then your budget is going to be a lot more restricted.

Look at the historical cultures in that climate: the Aztecs and Incas built with stone which exists to this day; they didn't have the wheel, but they had a vast pool of expendable labor, so they built on a lavish scale.

Every building project, past or present, boils down to budget.

Remove ads