• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

medieval (fantasy) weddings

alsih2o

First Post
i was looking at http://www.medieval-weddings.net/index.htm and noticed the section on gifts.

wifes family - dowry
husbands family- home and income
gift to priest

then it said that husbands usually gave their wives a small, expensive piece of furniture the morning after, as payment for what was taken from her the night before.
(does grandma allow talk of the v word?)

i was wondering if anybody had any cool thoughts about what dowries and such might be like in the fantasy setting. or if anyone had used one in a plot.

i am trying to put together "brother of the bride has to aquire a dowry for his sister" plot :)

KitanaVorr

First Post
depends on the groom's family. what are they like? what do they want? Are they simple people? People with extravagant tastes? A wizard who wants magical items for example...etc...

Jaligard

First Post
I know that the newlyweds were often given a month's supply of ale or mead after the wedding.

This is where we get the terms bridal (birde ale) and honeymoon (enough mead--made from honey--to last one month).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads