Medieval Tournament, recruiting [Pathfinder]

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
I am thinking of running a medieval tournament, based on various renaissance fairs I have attended, as well as the tournament from Paizo's Kingmaker AP, more specifically the fifth module, War of the River Kings

There will be three competitions in the Tournament:

Archery
Jousting
Gladiator-esque tournament

The PC's will be a team against five (I think) other teams, If you are interested, feel free to join, we can always create more teams to compete.

Characters will be 13th level, with 10,000 gp to spend on extra's, magic bracers etc. Weapons and any Armor to be worn will be given at the time of the competition, so buying that will not be necessary.

I will post more of the rules for the events and the tournament as a whole once I know how many players there will be.

Last edited:

Vertexx69

First Post
I'm always up for a tournament, count me in. So 13th lvl what sources are available to draw from for feat selection, items, etc.? I always love playing the martial classes. How will we be determining stats (Point buy, roliing)?

Last edited:

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
20 point buy, feats from D20PFSRD.com are fine, as are any from the pathfinder core rulebook that did not make it there. If you want to make the gladiator, jouster or archer those would be fine. If noone else joins you can do all of them or just one.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Never played Pathfinder. Just took a look at this link, it seems that it's an attempt at balancing 3.5. A poor one as even the core Wizard spells are still broken. I can probably make a Wizard that can take out the whole enemy team if they are only 5 lvl 13 Fighters/Rangers/Paladins/Barbarians. But I won't as I'm going to the beach! :D

BTW 20pb hurts the martial classes more than it does casters. A summoner would also be very strong, since at clvl 13 one can get a lot of summons.

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
An additional note: This will mostly be non-combat stuff, there will be a little off to the side most likely but the main focus will be the events, Jousting, Archery and hand to hand combat in the Arena :) So spellcasters may do OK with Buff Spells, they would most likely be wearing a suit of armor at the same time, depending on the event.

And now off I go, just got back from a long karate weekend. bleh.

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
I will put out the rules in fractions throughout the day, as well as the beginning part of the Adventure. Also we Can play through the whole adventure after the tournament, it goes through raising armies and stuff, Along with some exploration and stuff, you guys could use the kingdom I have made so far for that, as long as you don't wreck it, I could always just forget what you guys did... Actually, I have a better Idea, you guys could have been hired by my character to participate in the tournament, some of you ma have been from other kingdoms, then after seeing your performance in the tournament, my character hired you to explore the area for him, and lead the Armies that he has set up right now. However, this does not have to be done.

Here are the three rules governing the event:

Harm no spectators

Kill no Competitors

Don't get caught Cheating

Other rules: the events will earn points, which are added up, then used to determine the winner of the tournament. Also, if your character does not win an event, or the tournament, that's ok, it's most likely because of an unlucky die roll on your bow shot or something like that, the tournament is set up to not have a WHOLE lot of stuff like that. For example, in my own experience, at the archery tournament I was in, the arrow I shot in the second round went clear over the ten foot high haystack. This stuff happens.

Aaannd archery:

Competitors will each be given a Masterwork Longbow and two arrows for each stage. Competitors will have as much time as they want (within reason) to fire their shots. This means that they can take extra time to earn a +5 to hit.

Stage One: A target 30 feet away is set up (no range penalty, AC 5). The six competitors who score closest to the center move on to the next stage.

Stage Two: A target is set up 220 feet away (-4 range penalty, AC 7). the four competitors who score closest to the center of this target move on to the third and final stage.

Stage Three: A target is set up 550 feet away (-10 range penalty, AC 11). The competitor who places closest to the bulls eye wins the event, earning three points for his team, the competitor who is the second closest wins one point.

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
Jousting:

The jousters will be given a suit of full plate armor, a heavy warhorse, and a blunt lance.

If the rider does more than 10 points of damage and breaks his/her lance (I'll be Politically Correct) he/she earns 1 points. If a rider unseats his/her opponent, he/she earns 3 points and wins that joust this can occur with a bull rush or if the opposing rider fails the ride check necessary to avoid falling off his horse.

Remove ads