D&D 5E Meet Robin Hood, Outlaw of Sherwood Forest

Robin Hood, master bowman and infamous outlaw! Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters, coming soon to Kickstarter, compiles Mike Myler's fantastic column here on EN World, with brand new art in a gorgeous full-colour book. Sign up now to be notified when the Kickstarter launches! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/enworld/mythological-figures-and-maleficent-monsters

Robin Hood, master bowman and infamous outlaw! Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters, coming soon to Kickstarter, compiles Mike Myler's fantastic column here on EN World, with brand new art in a gorgeous full-colour book. Sign up now to be notified when the Kickstarter launches!

robinhood.jpg

noko

old hag of a DM
I'm actually a professor of medieval history, so yes, I've read the books... in the original Latin.

How many medieval Latin manuscripts have you consulted for your work, mate? From the fact that you characterize him as giving to the poor -- which the earliest ballads do not -- I am guessing very few.

Gutta cavat lapidem non bis, sed saepe cadendo; sic homo fit sapiens non bis, sed saepe legendo.
Come now, that wasn't Robin Hood.

"The drop digs the stone falling not twice, but continuously;
thus man becomes wise, reading not twice but often "

But, yes, Robin Hood was a bit of a jerk even in the old 1892 Howard Pyle edition.

Hurin70

Adventurer
Come now, that wasn't Robin Hood.

"The drop digs the stone falling not twice, but continuously;
thus man becomes wise, reading not twice but often "

But, yes, Robin Hood was a bit of a jerk even in the old 1892 Howard Pyle edition.

Yes, the Latin quote wasn't from Robin Hood; it was just a test. I had been challenged to 'read a book, mate'. So I wanted to show I had, indeed, read a book.

I also wanted to choose something in the language in which the earliest references to Robin Hood appear. I thought a nice little proverb from Bruno would make for better reading than an ungrammatical snippet from an English justice's roll.

10 points to Gryffindor for passing the test! :)

Last edited:

Hurin70

Adventurer
Like it or not, Robin Hood was one of the inspirations for the ranger class. The fact that the class has spells is a (misguided) attempt to duplicate Aragorn, who Also didn't have spells. IMHO, rangers should be spell-less, with a few class features to justify having a separate class. Or it can be a fighter subclass, as the scout started out.

+1!

And that's why the 4e Ranger is my favorite version of the class: no spells, just martial badass-ness.

noko

old hag of a DM
D&D says a lot of things it doesn't do.
This thread is about emulated the legendary Robin Hood

Robin Hood doesn't track, two weapon fight, handle animals via skils not magic, handle plants with skills nor magic, has no animal pets nor companions, or have a favored enemy that he specially trained to defeat.

I don't what he inspired in the D&D ranger outside 4e.

Heck, he's barely a D&D scout. He is a classic fighter/thief archer.
He's supposed to be an amazing tracker and spends time with his ear pressed to the ground discerning amazing amounts of information by napping. Actually, I'm re-reading the books for some reason now and he comes across by and large as indecisive with a penchant for making unlucky choices when left on his own. And the entire thing in Bree was just weird, another foot-stabbing choice.

noko

old hag of a DM
Robin Hood, master bowman and infamous outlaw! Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters, coming soon to Kickstarter, compiles Mike Myler's fantastic column here on EN World, with brand new art in a gorgeous full-colour book. Sign up now to be notified when the Kickstarter launches!

View attachment 121515
Nice, I'm surprised he's so weak though. He can't out-wrestle Little John but Little John was supposed to be extraordinarily strong.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nice, I'm surprised he's so weak though. He can't out-wrestle Little John but Little John was supposed to be extraordinarily strong.
12 is above average. I mean, it's a standard point buy. I can't see anything else you could lower.

noko

old hag of a DM
12 is above average. I mean, it's a standard point buy. I can't see anything else you could lower.
Fair enough. I just would have plunked his strength at 14. Bows are great for developing upper body strength, ya know! But I don't mean to knock your work, it is excellent.

Remove ads

Remove ads