Spelljammer Meet The Giff--Spelljammer's Space Pirate Hippos!

The Giff, a race of "gunslinging hippo-like pirates" will be appearing in Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, and D&D Beyond has a sneak preview of them. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1292-sneak-peek-meet-the-giff-a-race-of-gunslinging

The Giff, a race of "gunslinging hippo-like pirates" will be appearing in Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, and D&D Beyond has a sneak preview of them.

giff-line-up.jpg

Stormonu

Legend
It feels like every new line is increasingly gonzo high-magic. I’m pretty sure I’m in a tiny minority who would love to see the opposite.

(Saltmarsh was good, though.)
To be fair, Spelljammer as always been slightly off-kilter.

Still, I wouldn’t mind a Jakandor-like or Kaldheim-like campaign that’s more towards the Sword & Sorcery side of the fence.

Weiley31

Legend
I like the idea that Magic using Giff started becoming more prominent because they started to tap more and more into that "Astral Spark" that they seem to possess.

Also, the 5E idea of "Don't know who their god is"+ the older edition's "They can't even remember their home world anymore" seem like they would go very well together fluff wise.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
To be fair, Spelljammer as always been slightly off-kilter.

Still, I wouldn’t mind a Jakandor-like or Kaldheim-like campaign that’s more towards the Sword & Sorcery side of the fence.
Yeah, complaining about Spelljammer being "increasingly gonzo high-magic" is kind of weird to me. Because that's kind of the whole point of the setting. Especially when they ignore that Ravenloft and Netherdeep just came out recently, and definitely aren't "increasingly gonzo high-magic".

But, again, I would be fine with more low-magic, grittier books. Dark Sun would be awesome. But we also will probably get more "gonzo high-magic" books in the near future (Planescape, mainly).

It will probably become the updated version of Powerful Build for the 2024 updates, like how Astral Elves have the updated Trance and Kender have the updated version of Brave.
But Jeremy Crawford made a big deal about how astral elves can get skill proficiencies during their trance specifically because of their connection with the Astral Plane. Although I'm sure the PHB elves will have the updated Trance from Monsters of the Multiverse.

Weiley31

Legend
I also like the idea that when a Giff spellcaster is using magic, one can pick up on the faint smell of gunpowder that is in the air.

Not official, but something to add on to the idea of the Astral Spark they have.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
But Jeremy Crawford made a big deal about how astral elves can get skill proficiencies during their trance specifically because of their connection with the Astral Plane. Although I'm sure the PHB elves will have the updated Trance from Monsters of the Multiverse.
Oh yeah of course. The UA Astral Elves' Trance is pretty much an update that will probably make its way to ALL Elves in the 2024 edition.

Remove ads

Remove ads