• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[MEG] The Deep Map: Wow!!

Aeolius

Adventurer
Steverooo said:
YMMV. Many people seem to find my point of view silly, in a fantasy game.

Not at all. It's all part of the "willing suspension of disbelief" / "Go with what you know" package. At one point, the BPAA PCs used "armor" fashioned of decomposing seaweed, to keep warm (yes, that was a bit of a stretch), while ingesting "floatweed berries" to counter the pressures of the deep. Compared to a "no magic" scenario, both options would seem quite ludicrous. Still, the PCs had to adventure to find both items, so it worked out nicely.

Drylanders, aka "Those Above" would have quite a bit of difficulty in my campaign, as it is geared for those at home beneath the waves.

Offline, I am fascinated by marine life. I have 750 gallons in saltwater aquariums and got Discovery HD solely on the hopes that Shark Week would be available in HDTV ("Sharks Under Glass" on Discovery HD this month!). I try to work common sea creatures and topography into the campaign, for added realism. Granted, the players wouldn't know an imperator angel from a majestic angel, but I feel better for being able to envision the setting myself.

Then, when things seem almost normal, I throw in the sea hags and aquatic demons. :D

In the end, I'm just happy to see other DMs consider undersea adventures, whether they are no magic, low magic, or Monty Hall.

Last edited:

d4

First Post
Steverooo said:
The problems aren't caused by SCUBA gear. They're caused by the chemistry and physics of AIR!
i have a question.

do dolphins (and other air-breathing sea mammals) suffer from the bends and nitrogen narcosis? what about fish (and other "water"-breathing creatures)?

i wonder what kind of biology merfolk, sahuagin, locathah, and other aquatic races have.

MerakSpielman

First Post
You know, I wish I had more money... I'd love to pick up all these suppliments, but without actual need, I just can't... I'd start an underwater campaign to create need, but I just boiled off the oceans on my campaign world, so it'll have to wait.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Steverooo said:
I'm sure you've heard of certain deep-sea species who decompress, explosively, when brought to the surface?
I MUST use that as a weapon, now ;)

The coelacanth comes to mind. While they do not explode when brought to the surface, the change in pressure nevertheless is detrimental. I designed my kolocanth (sea bugbears) after them, much as my blinogo (sea goblins) were inspired by goblin-sharks.

I introduced a new skill called "birding" in my campaign. Simply put, an aquatic race floats a baited lasso to the surface to catch seagulls and the like. Yes, even sahuagin like to vary their diet from time to time. ;)

Last edited:

Aeolius

Adventurer
MerakSpielman said:
I'd start an underwater campaign to create need, but I just boiled off the oceans on my campaign world, so it'll have to wait.

The oceans are thriving, in my undersea campaign...and I am recruiting :D

Aeolius

Adventurer
Steverooo said:
Heh! How would a normal Human (and not a Druid) survive, down there? Pearls of the Sirines just lying around, waiting to be picked up?

Just one...which the party has yet to find ;)

There is a human in the party, though. Granted, he's 3,000 years old (spent most of that in stasis) and was altered with grafts from a pseudonatural fish hag.

If someone did want to play a human in my undersea campaign, and didn't want to rely on magic items for survival, there are other means to that end. One could use templates, to create a half-elemental human or perhaps a half-merrow or half-scrag. I added the garibaldi, a half-locathah, as well. There are a few PrCs that grant water-breathing at higher levels, albeit without mentioning how well the recipient would move or resist the effects of the deep.

Or there is a more drastic manner that a human could become comfortable in the depths; being slain by a spawn-producing undead and returning as an emancipated spawn.

Speaking of...what do you call a gathering of lacedon?

A flock of sea ghouls ;)

d4

First Post
thanks for the responses, Steverooo. something to ponder if/when i get around to designing my own undersea campaign.

A flock of sea ghouls
i've heard that one before, but it never fails to elicit a groan... :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads