Memoirs of a Lawyer turned Dungeoncrawler (Updated May 13, 2008)

Altalazar

First Post
Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Forty – Additional Help Arrives

When my eyes opened, my valkries had not yet arrived, but more ogre magi certainly had. Three came through the window, being mostly sliced and diced by Marcus’ whirring blades. Three more came from each wall, magically passing through the formerly much more solid barriers between the rooms. And then at least a half dozen more came from each side of the hallway outside of the room.
A moment later, my valkries did appear, flanking an ogre magi in the corner who had just run up to Higgins from the opposite wall. Their blades of good and law sliced into the ogre magi again and again. His claws slashed into Higgins, though they failed to penetrate his now stony skin. Higgins, not wishing to risk the next claw, quickly sheathed himself in a displacing enchantment, making his visage hard to pin down for another strike.
I closed my eyes again and summoned more help, this time calling forth a huge ectoplasmic form on the other side of the passwall behind Higgins, to take care of the three ogre magi threatening my noble butler. My huge ectoplasmic friend made short work of them, ripping the ogre magi to shreds one by one and tossing them aside like rag dolls. None of them threatened Higgins again. My two valkries slowly took down the ogre magi they flanked before turning their attention across the room, to where Nin and Larch were holding back the ogre magi horders. From the sounds of battle in the hall, I knew Morwen and Ee had their hands full there as well.
Several times, the ogre magi would stop and bellow forth cones of the purest cold. Were it not for Higgins’s protections, my companions would have been in deep freeze. Instead, they barely felt the cold at all. Which was fortunate, as these ogre magi seemed to be at least twice as tough as they ordinarly are, both in stamina and in thickness of hide. They started to line up for multiple blasts of cold on almost everyone in the room. Thinking quickly, I ran forward, standing in the middle, at the nexus of their cones, then reached out my mind to grab the cones mid-flight and minimize their strength down to almost nothing. The next instant, two more summoned friends appeared, of a type I’d never before called. Cerebriliths, they are called, and they are foul and hideous beasts. They are the yin to the Valkries’ yang. Given our situation, I decided the time was ripe to call them to help us. Evil to fight evil. Unfortunately, they were not very effective. Apparently evil isn’t all that great at killing itself.
Despite their large numbers, we whittled down the ogre magi one by one, until nearly 20 were taken off the field of battle, likely a full one third of their numbers. We had nary a scratch, for the most part. So the ogre magi, brave beasts that they were, began to flee. Valaria took off after one of them, but soon lost track of him as he vanished from sight. What cowards.
The battle thus concluded, we searched their lair and discovered magical trinkets of various sorts and nearly 30,000 gold coins. We freed nearly 200 slaves and returned them all to Cauldron, where Morwen began to make arrangements for their well being (and lessons in our form of common).
Our last act in the valley was to seal off the “fountain of youth” and to burn the ogre magi fortress to the ground. Let the cowards live in the smoking rubble and let them tend their own scorched crops. My two agents among them will let me know where they resettle so we can deal with the rest of them later. For now, we have a dragon to slay.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Forty-One – Ee’s mad, Nin’s bad, and Morwen’s sad

The old man was none too pleased to find out that the “fountain of youth” was a sick joke ogre magi used to torture and murder slaves. He also did not pay us, as he had specified he wanted an elixir of youth before he would part with his gem. Ee was none too pleased with this.
“You pay us. Now.”
I tried to explain to Ee the clear terms of the contract as Morwen stood between Ee and the old man, her hand on Ee’s huge axe, still dripping with ogre magi blood.
Then Nin stepped forward, also seeking payment, and Morwen stepped to cover him as well. Ee’s hackles raised up and he became enraged, his mouth frothing, staring the old man down. The old man seemed unmoved by Ee’s efforts. Either the old man is too far into senility to respond to such displays (or too close to death already to care) or else he harbours a deeper inner power. In any case, we dissuaded Ee and Nin from killing the man.
I took him aside and offered to help him recover the 150,000 gold coins he had paid for the information leading to the “fountain of youth” as he had obviously been had. The old man agreed to this for a 50% commission on our part. Ee seemed to want no part of it. I assumed Ee would come around later, after we dealt with the dragon. I asked the old man to stay at my home while we went underneath the waves to deal with the dragon problem.
As we left, Ee shouted out to the old man, “Watch your back!”

Book XIX

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Forty-Two – Shopping for Dragon Slaying

For the day and a half we had left, we shopped for things we needed for the dragon slaying task. Higgins picked up a few magical trinkets and charms he thought would be useful. We all picked up crystals to add to our armor (or bracers) that would allow us the freedom to swim freely underwater and to breathe freely as well.
Thus equipped, we transported to Coral City, a city of at least 20,000 souls beneath the surface of the ocean many leagues to the south.
The city itself was wonderfully exotic, though I suppose it was no more exotic than the city of the Earth Elementals. At least this time we did not wander into any sacred places. As it turned out, the colors were actually less interesting than those in the plane of elemental earth. The water must have sucked the color out of things.
Many merchants carried about great barrels of freshwater, apparently a drink for the well-off, as the more meager residents obtained moisture through the eating of whole fish.
I decided that it would be helpful to try one last time to estimate the size and age of this dragon we were to face. I sought out someone who had actually seen the dragon, then asked to probe his mind to see for myself. The man, like most, was squeamish about the idea of being probed, but then when I asked him to name his price, he said he would allow it for two pearls. I figured pearls were easy to come by in this city. Four pearls later, the merman let me into his mind (not that he could have resisted me had he tried).
I saw his vivid memory of a gargantuan black beast moving quickly past him in the water. The scales glistened in the faint light beneath the water. There was no doubt. It was a black dragon. And it was about as large as they come. It was at least a Wyrm, if not a Great Wyrm. Our investment in magic to help fight this beast was well-spent. I only hope that it does not have a mate. Though if it does, we can perhaps have a mate of our own to help deal with it.
Thus equipped, we headed out of the city and toward the forbidden zone, seeking the dragon’s lair. To satisfy Ee, it was made clear that we only got paid if the dragon never bothers them again. This meant that we did not necessarily need to kill it. But somehow I doubted negotiations were likely to get us very far. One thing that was interesting to note was that our employer mentioned that the dragon may have been there for quite some time, but only started molesting the city denizens recently. I wonder what had changed its habits. Perhaps it was to impress a new mate?
Also made clear was that we were to return their egg-gem intact or else we would not get half of the promised reward. This was also made very clear to Ee, though I somehow doubt a raging barbarian makes such contractual distinctions.
We soon found the entrance to the cave and, after a brief casting of magic by Higgins and others, we headed forth into the depths of the dragon’s lair.

Altalazar

First Post
Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Forty-Three – Into the Dragons’ Lair

Our group numbered nine as we ventured in. Morwen and Nimue brought up the front, along with Ee. Nin, Larch, and his Dire Bear companion brought up the middle. And Higgins and myself brought up the rear. And then, behind both of us, was another friend, one summoned at great cost by Higgins. A little surprise for the dragons.
Higgins cloaked all of us in an enchantment making us undetectable to dragons. It supposedly covered every means a dragon could have to detect us. And apparently it was utterly useless. We did not venture very far into the cave before a dragon appeared and began sending forth magic against us. Higgins quickly determined it was a projected image, though one that was still deadly from its magic. I could also see that it was but a phantom, using my true sight, but that did not tell me where the dragon’s meat body lay.
The cavern narrowed and branched, and so we split up, still within sight of each other, and very quickly we found the second dragon. Yes, there were two black dragons, both ancient, thankfully neither wyrms. I could feel the dragon fear emanating from both of them, washing over me and beyond me, to little effect. My companions were equally unaffected. Except for one of us.
“Oh darnit, me sick of dragon’s fear!” I heard Ee exclaim with a barbarian sigh.
The image of the dragon then cast a spell against Nin, attempting to possess his body. Nin shrugged it off, the spell ineffective. The other dragon similarly tried to possess Ee. Ee, in a rare showing of mental fortitude, totally shrugged it off as well.
“Me shrug off him spell!” Ee yelled, triumphant. “Him just scare me!”
Not wishing to further test our luck with the image, Higgins dispelled it. And our ninth companion, taking up the rear, sent forth dancing lights ahead of us, to illuminate the cavern. (We had not brought light sources, hoping to surprise the dragon while sneaking in under the extremely powerful, though apparently utterly useless, enchantment).
I bided my time, mentally enhancing my own protections, hardening my body to iron, and preparing for the epic combat that was about to unfold.
The image’s real body was found down another tunnel. Nin and Ee chased it down. The dragon there sent forth a line of acid against Nin. The acid washed over him, totally ineffective, our earlier preparations bearing fruit. Nin did his best to appear hurt, but the dragon apparently did not buy it. For some reason thereafter, neither dragon ever tried to use its breath weapon against any of us again. Perhaps they just assumed we were all immune. Such draconic assumptions can prove very handy in the future.
Ee gave chase to the dragon, but it vanished, only to reappear behind Morwen, placing her between both of the huge beasts. The dragons then proceeded to rip the flesh from Morwen’s body, nearly killing her not once, but twice, as Larch intervened in between, restoring health to her nearly dead body.
We were soon locked in an epic melee, the dragons in the middle, Morwen tumbling out to the rear. Higgins hasted us all, and the dragons were apparently also moving more quickly than normal. I concentrated and unraveled the enchantments protecting one of them while Larch unraveled the other’s protections. Higgins sent spells to weaken one in both muscle and scales, to make him easier to fight. Yet the dragon still proved almost impossible to harm. Weapons glanced off harmlessly. Then I brought up our ninth companion.
Swimming right up to the second dragon, he struck. Our ninth companion was none other than a dragon himself. A blue. Large, but not nearly as huge as the blacks we faced, it was still a formidable companion. He sent his lightning breath again and again into the flesh of the dragon. But his claws never found purchase. For one brief moment, one of the dragons turned its attention to my blue, severely wounding him, but then they turned their attention to the barbarian, who became more and more able to pierce the thick hide of the first dragon as his scales were weakened and his reflexes slowed by magic from Higgins.
For one brief moment, we had a scare as one dragon put up a dispelling wall for the other to swim through, in an attempt to end all of Higgins’s enchantments. It worked for only one before Higgins brought down the wall with some magic of his own. For good measure, I then penetrated the dragon’s mind, smashing his ego down to a pulp, ending any further enchantments from him. Then I did the same to the other dragon, ending any threat that their sorcerous ways posed and also cutting off any spells of escape. This would be a fight to the death.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Forty-Four – Fight to the Death

Surrounded, and with no means of easy escape, we wore down the first dragon until, in a vain attempt to flee, it tried to swim away, over us, and beyond us. Larch quickly followed, as did his Bear, and they tore the remaining flesh from the draconic bones, leaving a floating corpse in the water. We then turned our attention to the other dragon.
This dragon was barely scratched, and perhaps seeing its companion killed, it decided it would rather live than risk our combined wrath. Unfortunately, any enchantments that could have seriously slowed it were all used up. Then Higgins remembered that he had one spell left that might slow the dragon down, if only a little. Higgins pointed his finger at the dragon and a ray of green light sailed forth, striking the dragon’s huge hide. The dragon was barely shaken, but it was noticeably slower. That gave us all the lead time we needed. We quickly swarmed around it and ahead of it as it made a bee-line for the entrance to the cave.
Briefly, Higgins sought to wall it in, but then the entrance was so vast that no single spell could cover it. Higgins started to lower its defenses little by little, giving the others a chance to scratch it through its thick hide. But it looked like it was sure to escape the cave, if not our grasp, despite its near total collapse into clumsiness from Higgins’s last spell.
Not wishing to risk losing the dragon, and despite the long odds on it working, I summoned forth all of my mental energy and then brought to mind an image of the dragon’s death. Then I forced that into the dragon’s mind, in an attempt to get the dragon to recall it as if it were fact, ending his life. Given the huge mental prowess shown by this dragon, no doubt enhanced by magic (as we discovered later it was), there seemed little hope of affecting it. And yet, the dragon, perhaps in its haste to escape, had a momentary lapse of its mental defenses. A distraction, perhaps, a tinge of worry at its own mortality after so many decades of dominance. And that tiny little opening was all it took. I slammed the image of its death through that little crack and into its psyche. Moments later, the dragon’s barely scratched, lifeless body lay floating near the entrance to the cave.
We found well over 100,000 coins worth of gold, platinum, and art within the dragons’ lair. The dragon’s themselves had matching sets of enchanted items to protect themselves, including rings, bracers, and a vest. With any luck, such items will fetch over twice that of the coinage we had already found. We also found the jeweled egg and returned it to the Merfolk. It was a good day. Perhaps our moniker is an apt one, after all.
And thus we “Dragonslayers” returned to Cauldron, laden with loot and further tales to enhance our legend.

===============================================

Metagaming note - yes, that bit at the end was Cordozo trying a 'Recall Death' attack on the dragon. Given the dragon's saves (enhanced by a +5 vest of resistance) the only chance the dragon could possibly have failed that will save was on a '1' - and sure enough, right there in the open, the DM rolled and the roll was a '1' - Of course, we probably could have chased the dragon down and eventually killed it (though it had like 500 hit points left), that just was too sweet not to savor, particularly since we managed to get it before it got out of the cave (which it would have in another round). That was a nice capstone to go with the beginning of the combat, when both dragons tried to Magic Jar from afar both Ee and Nin, and both of them rolled natural '20's on the save. (Ee usually fails will saves - he failed his save against dragon fear...)

I just wanted to share - sometimes the metagame is apparent from the text, but I thought it would be fun to elaborate.

Altalazar

First Post
Book XX – Interlude

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Forty-Five – Mayor Lives, Captain of the Guard Dies

I awoke in the morning, in my oversided bed next to my steaming hot tub to the news that the Mayor was attacked and the Captain of her Guard was killed. The story was this: The attacker was the Captain of the Guard himself, Terseon Skellerang, and he killed all of her bodyguards. The Mayor herself managed to wound him and escape, apparently killing him in the process because when Yukiko summoned her students and arrived at the Mayor’s home, she found Skellerang dead of his wounds, along with all of the guards.
Yukiko felt it was her duty to protect the Mayor, and so she summoned her students and doubled the Mayor’s former guards, taking the post of Captain of the Guard on a temporary basis (based on the Mayor’s appointment). Yukiko now feels it is her duty to investigate the matter. First Skellerang was questioned, with the Mayor’s magic. The Mayor herself, Jenya, has retired to her home and will work there until the investigation is complete.
Quickly, I deduced that the Mayor must be an imposter, perhaps first impersonating the Guard Captain, killing the guard, then impersonating the Mayor, leaving the real Captain’s body behind when the imposter was done. And was Yukiko the real Yukiko? It is certainly convenient that there are no witnesses besides the Mayor and that none of her former guards were raised and that she questioned the Captain’s body.
Why is this my business? I wondered that myself, until Yukiko summoned us all to her to investigate the situation. Yukiko apparently discovered some strange alchemical substance on Skellerang’s body that has only one source – a place within the Demonskar. The substance makes you both strong and very weak-willed. Fortunately, Ee cannot read minds, because at that moment I wondered if it was made from Ee’s blood. (I would later find out how ironic such a thought was, given what happened when we found the substance).
We had a map of the Demonskar from our last outing. Morwen had the notion that we ought to teleport near our destination and walk in as opposed to teleporting directly there. Remind me never to let Morwen lead again. After we arrived, and then spent fruitless minutes thrashing around the jungle and then flying down a deep and winding shaft in the ground, we finally gave up and I just teleported us straight to the chamber.
The chamber contained a strange apparatus that drained into a pit, full of the foul substance. There were two doors on opposite walls and then there was a hallway leading west to what looked like a large circular room. We were about to investigate when a figure appeared in the hallway. It appeared to be a man. He took a quick look into Ee’s eyes, and then Ee’s normally monosyllabic thought processes became even more so. I could hear in Ee’s mind the words “Kill them All!” fed in. I knew we were in for some trouble.
The tight spaces left little room to move, so Higgins quickly vanished from sight and then stood behind me. Morwen charged forward, trying to flank the man. And Ee turned and tried to slice up Nimue. I quickly grabbed Ee’s brain back from the brink, took control, and then ordered him to attack our attacker. Ee happily complied, the order not even necessarily contradicting his earlier one.
Unfortunately, Ee’s axe struck only air, and then the man vanished before I could draw a bead on him. Not wishing to let him escape, I shifted my perception true, and then I saw him again, standing in the hallway, not far from where he was before. There was something familiar about him. At least, that was the sense I got from both Ee and Morwen as they flanked him. I decided to move in for a closer look. Grabbing Higgins’s arm, I transported us both to the circular room ahead. It was then that I saw the man’s face clearly. I DID know him. He was the vampire that terrorized Twin Oaks those many moons ago. He had escaped into the crevice in the earth after Cauldron split open miles to the north.
I then turned my attention to the room I was in and I saw someone else familiar. Sitting in a cage was the Mayor, still in her night clothes. “Higgins.” I said, and nodded toward the cage. Higgins pulled out one of his many parchments scrawled with the words of magic and began to read. I watched, fascinated as always, as the words slowly burned away the parchment into dust. When the last syllable was complete, the door to the locked cage popped open, freeing her. “The real Mayor, I presume.”

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Forty-Six – We verify the Mayor’s Identity

The Vampire quickly retreated, running down the hall and around the corner. I asked the Mayor, “Would you like us to get him?” But the Mayor had other priorities. Getting home, for instance. First, we needed to verify that she was, in fact, she.
Ee said he would do it. “Me verify if you you,” he said. Then Ee ran up to the Mayor and pinched her butt. She immediately slapped him in the face. “That Mayor!” he said.
“Well, I think we have at least verified Ee’s identity, in any case.”
Ee then looked to me. I was still controlling his mind, but I had not actively done so since I turned his axe away from us earlier. Ee then said to the Mayor, as she rubbed her sore butt, “Me can’t help it. Cordozo? Why you want me to pinch her again?”
Very clever, Ee. Maybe that Vampire’s brain rubbed off on him. Fortunately, it did not take much explaining for me to convince the Mayor that the pinch was not my idea. I asked her about the Vampire.
“He’s working for someone. I don’t know who. Now please, get me out of here.” She replied.
I happily obliged, returning us to my own stronghold. I was not sure whom we could trust, so I figured we would start from here and see. I supplied some luxurious clothes (finer than she was used to) for her to wear and then we summoned Yukiko to see us.
“Yukiko,” I said in her head. “Come see us. We have information.” I could tell she was busy teaching her students. She said she would come later. “No, now,” I said.
“Is it an emergency?”
“YES!”
“Ok, I come now,”
It did not take long for us to figure out that Yukiko was Yukiko, and that the Mayor was the Mayor and that the Mayor’s home was now being occupied by an imposter. (In fact, we already knew this before we ever left, but now Yukiko knew this too).
Our next plan was to sneak up on the “Mayor” with the real Mayor and see what was really going on. I asked the Mayor where in her home would someone who was impersonating her most be interested in investigating. The Mayor thought for a moment, and then said, “I know where!”
Moments later, we were standing in a room just outside a shaft leading down to a very strange room. Politicians. Such strange creatures. What the hell was this thing doing in her residence? In any case, the guards there were quickly informed of the situation and then we teleported down into the room below.
There, we found the “Mayor” standing before a large circular door, in the midst of an attempt to open it. Apparently the Mayor herself has never opened this door. I was tempted to let the “Mayor” finish “her” work so we could see what was beyond it. But we had not the time. My true vision showed me who the “Mayor” really was. It was a Rakshasa. I’ve heard of such beasts from the outer planes, but had never met one before. I can’t say I want to repeat the experience.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Forty-Seven – By the Skin of its Teeth

Having surprised the creature, we sprang into action. Higgins weaved an enchantment around it, to little effect. The beast was strongly resistant to magic. So Higgins took a different approach. He weaved a spell to dissipate the beast’s resistances, draining them away in a flash of green light. If only it had been as effective on the Dragons.
I tried to disintegrate the beast, but I moved a moment too fast, and my ray struck him just before Higgins completed his spell, so it had no effect. Then, just as we were about to surround him, he vanished. Or rather, he moved extremely fast, stopping time, and leaving behind for us three sets of overlapping, flying teeth. Just before they cut into my flesh, I weaved protections of my own, rendering the teeth blunt against me. Higgins fared a lot worse, though he managed to dodge being completely cut to ribbons. Not wishing to stay there any longer, I quickly grabbed Higgins and Ee and transported us back up to the room above, followed closely by Nimue and Morwen. Yet again, our adversary got away.
It was unclear what the beast was after, beyond entering that room. The Mayor thanked us and sent us on our way. Which was fine by me. I have a tournament to prepare for. Those mysteries can wait for another day.

Book XXI – The Tournament

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Forty-Eight – Champion Revealed

My information network finally paid off. Or rather, rescuing a certain damsel paid off. The King’s Niece contacted me and told me that the King’s Champion for the tournament was none other than Posiedon. Wonderful. I suspected as much. I had the advantage of fully understanding all of his capabilities, since I shared many of them. I also knew that to win would require luck more than skill. Unless I used a rather unorthodox strategy.
There were to be 13 tests before the final combat. The tests were just a warm up. A chance to score points and see how good one can problem solve alone. The battle will be the real test. We must last for one full minute against the champion. For the first 18 seconds, the champion will do nothing offensive, but may prepare as much defensively as he can. We will get 100 points if we can kill the champion in the first six seconds, then 66, then 33, dropping each six seconds after that. If the champion kills us in his first attack, we get no points at all. Then after that, we get more and more points simply for surivivng. If we survive the entire minute, we get 90 points. So it seems the best way to score points is to either kill him immediately or to survive until the end.
We will all fight him one on one, one at a time. And as noted, it is to the death. So we need to make our own arrangements should that happen. Apparently healers will be standing by (for a price). I have my own healer, Higgins, standing by for me, but my own personal insurance should suffice. The tournament is in two weeks. Time to prepare. I have already purchased a number of interesting items that may prove useful. Now I just need a winning strategy. I may have one. Time will tell. The last thing to be revealed is what, exactly, all of the points really mean. More on that soon.

Altalazar

First Post
Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Forty-Nine – Tournament Day One Begins

Day one of the tournament was today. There are sixteen tests, with points scored for each one. We were to take the tests singly and no one who takes them is allowed to see anyone else take them, presumably to keep any novel ideas from spreading about how to beat a given test. The audience, such as it is, is able to watch us all. I wondered if it would count as cheating to read the minds of the audience to get ideas. Then again, most of the tests were rather self-explanatory.
Well-rested and prepared, I stepped forth into the arena, set into a terrace deep in the cracks of Cauldron’s crater. The competition had begun.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Fifty – The Test of Boxes

The first four tests were all variations on a theme. Unfortuantely, that theme involved being locked in a steel cylinder rather unfortunately shaped like a coffin. The first test was a simple cylinder, locked, made of one inch thick steel. After I was securely locked in, the “host” of the test stood by, watching for signs of distress. Apparently after five minutes, we start to suffocate, so he stands by to unlock the cylinder and let a testee out. Obviously, this test was not much of a challenge for me. As soon as the timer started, and the overseer was in place, I was standing behind him, tapping him on the shoulder, asking him what it was he was watching.
The second, third, and fourth tests were harder. All involved suppression of all magic and all psionics. For the second test, I was in a cylinder of steel eight inches thick. I tried to talk through it, but to no avail. So after five minutes, I was released.
The third test was like the first, only there were metal bands over the door, and, like the second test, there was no lock to pick. However, the one inch thick steel allowed me to converse with the overseer. Using the best rhetoric I have ever done, expressing the pros and cons of the situation, and pointing out that the rules say we can get out by ANY means, I talked the overseer into letting me out, thus passing the test.
The fourth test was like the second, and so I could do nothing but wait. At the end of this round, I had gained ten points and twenty points for the first and third tests. I also was given an everfull mug and a bag of boulders, whatever those are, for getting the maximum points for those tests I passed.
I later found out that Ee did not do so well with these tests. Morwen was able to pick the lock for the first, but for the others, she had to slowly bash her way out, and this was only successful with some of the tests. After a short intermission, the next set of tests began.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Fifty-One – The Test of Cages

The next two tests involved being trapped in a cage that could be lifted by pushing a lever some one hundred feet distant. The catch was that the lever had to be pushed while we were still in the cage. I summoned Moira to pull the lever for the first test, bu the second test again prevented such means, so I had to shoot at the lever with my almost-rusty-from-disuse crossbow. Eventually one good shot did the trick, and so I advanced onwards with five points and then twenty points added to my total. A hammersphere and an infinite scrollcase were also added to my “prizes” though again, I know not what these things are.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Fifty-Two – The Test of Distance

The two tests of distance were messy ones for my companions but simple for me. A glowing stone was placed atop a platform on a 100 foot tall pole covered with barbs and spikes. We started at the top of the platform and had to get the stone down to the moderator below. One quick thought later, I was at the bottom of the platform, stone in hand. The second test had a platform with no pole and we started at the ground. Two quick thoughts later, I had the stone in hand and to the moderator. I later learned that my companions took the quick way to the ground. Yes, they jumped off of the platform and fell to the ground. What it lacked in grace it made up for in speed and simplicity. My companions are fortunate for their fortitude and skill at surviving such a fall. The next series of tests would test them all even further, particularly Ee, who had a different sort of test after a brush with death.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Fifty-Three – The elemental tests

The next series of tests involved the elements, ranging from fire, to earth, to water, to air. The first was a test of fire and air (smoke, really). There was a platform exactly 100 feet in radius which contained barriers making almost a maze of it. Tar covered the floor, tar that was flaming hot, filling the air with fire and smoke. To cap it off was another platform of equal size that served as a roof on the first. Both slowly rotated, making things even more confusing. At the exact center was a glowing stone we had to retrieve and give to the moderator.
It was two thoughts again to completion for me. I knew the stone was at the center, and so I went exactly 100 feet in from the edge to retrieve it, getting slightly burned in the process, before returning the stone to the moderator.
Ee tried to protect himself when he did it with his cube of force. Unfortunately, it slowed him down and did not provide any protection against the flames, so Ee was near death by the time he retrieved the stone. He called out for help from me before activiating the cube’s full protective force. After a few minutes, he called out again, this time leaving the barrier down long enough for me to reply and ask him to keep out for at least eighteen seconds so I would have time to find him.
I quickly protected myself against the flames and then teleported in to search for him, starting at the center. I soon found him and retrieved him from his firey doom. Ee was not happy.
“Me quit,” he said, with finality. “It not worth it. Me not risk life for King’s favor.”
“But what if there was money involved, Ee?” I asked him.
“No money offered. Me not risk it. Me not stupid. King stupid.”
And I realized that Ee had a point. Ee really did not have anything to gain by this. Well, he did, but not anything Ee particularly cared about. But I do care. I MUST have the King’s favor. And there were great benefits for belonging to the King’s personal adventuring party. I needed to explain all of the nuances of the advantages, all the reasons that it would be good, particularly for me, to win this with Ee on board, in great and subtle arguments. So I said to Ee, “I’ll pay you 20,000 gold coins.”
“Me want 50,000 coins.”
“30,000 coins.”
“Done.”
Though Ee was reluctant to take my money. I told him I would pay him the difference between what the King actually paid us for this and 30,000 gold coins, so I would only have to pay the full amount if we were paid nothing. But I think it was worth it. What is mere money compared to the King’s favor. I have plans. I could feel I was one step closer to true noble title. Now I just had to finish the remaining tests and beat the Champion.

The next test involved getting the same glowing stone out from the center of a ten foot by ten foot block of solid ice. This test was timed, and so the faster it was done, the more points one could obtain. I concentrated all of my mental energy into balls of flame striking it over and over, digging a tunnel through the ice to the stone. Within seconds, I had a hole big enough for my arm to reach in and pull out the stone. I obtained full points, along with the usual small prize.
The following test was also of water. One thousand feet of it, to be exact. A chest was placed at the bottom of the water, containing the stone. We were to retrieve the stone, yet again. This test was not timed. I decided to take the more leisurely route. I transformed my body into solid metal and then dropped down into the water, sinking like an iron golem. When I reached the bottom, I discovered not one, but three chests. Not wanting to disrupt my theme, I proceeded to bash the chests into splinters using my adamantine fists. This did not take long, though it was fortunate that my metal body no longer required air to sustain itself. I then retrieved the stone and brought it to the surface with a thought (I did not try to swim upwards with my extra weight).
The remaining two elemental tests involved large rocks. The first required stopping a twelve foot diameter boulder from rolling down a steep track and destroying a glass of water. We were not allowed to move the glass. One quick thought and the rolling boulder was but a mote of dust.
The last elemental test involved getting ten thousand pounds worth of rock onto a platform. This was a timed test. We had a choice. There were 100 stones weighing 100 pounds each, 10 stones weighing 1000 pounds each, and one stone weighing 10,000 pounds. I opted for the latter. I summoned forth an ectoplasmic friend, rippling with ectoplasmic muscles, and had him lift the stone onto the platform within three seconds. I had to strain my brain, sending blood pouring out of my nose and mouth, in order to summon my friend in under a second, but this proved well worth it to get maximum points.

The third to last test involved walking down a long hall filled with traps. I fell down a hole and was assailed by darts, but the traps did little to me and I exited by walking over the dusty remains of the exit door.
The second to last test involved finding a needle in a haystack. I summoned forth six friends to help me look, but even so, it took nearly eight minutes of searching to find it.
The last test was a riddle, which I may not repeat here, but which was ultimately an easy one to solve.

The tests thus completed, my points totaled 197 out of what was probably a possible 235 or so. That just left the competition with the Champion. That final competition could net me as much as 100 points if I could fell the Champion with one blow, be it by steel or sorcery. But knowing Posiedon’s strengths, I knew this was unlikely. My best bet was to gain points by lasting for the full minute without dying, which would net me 60 points. And I had the perfect plan to do so. My only worry was his dark power, the one that could drain away the experiences of ones life and leave one a hollow shelll. So preparations were made. The battle was the day after the tests. I would be ready.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Fifty-Four – I Face the Champion

I walked into the arena, and stood on my starting point. I knew that on the other side of the arena, some 130 feet distant, behind a barrier similar to the one in front of me stood Posiedon. Both he and I were starting fresh, with no active protections of any sort going. I would have a full eighteen seconds to prepare myself or to attack him, or do both, while he could do nothing but defend himself (and presumably hide from my attacks). Then the remaining forty two seconds would be a fight between us, with points scored for lasting and additional points for killing him. In the end, though, it would be far more advantageous to last than to attempt to kill.
My strategy was simple. I stepped out onto the platform wearing a large cloak, covering all of me, even my head. I held four bundles in my hands. As soon as the whistle was blown, I sprang into action.
I dropped the bundles to the ground. I split my mind into two and quickly called forth not two, but four, valkries to assist me. Knowing that I would be taxing my body to its limit in these first few seconds, I quickly envigorated myself against the damage my body would otherwise take from pressing so far above my normal mental limits.
By the time the valkeries appeared, an ectoplasmic form had appeared next to me on the platform. Posiedon was keeping an eye on me. But that was fine. I had expected he would see me. The valkeries picked up the bundles, then promptly sprinkled some dust on themselves and vanished. I soon followed suit, my preparations complete.
What then happened unseen was that the Valkeries donned the cloaks I gave them, all similar to my own. They covered their faces with covers similar to my own. And I let open my cloak, the cloak which covered my form, and which hid the clothing I wore. Clothing which to the eye (and to other senses as well) matched exactly the attire of my valkeries. I donned my wig, matching their long, flowing hair, and I took my place in the air above the floor of the arena, as did they, spread out in a random pattern, one which shifted every few seconds as we all teleported to a new location. As a final touch, I had in my hand a collapsible great-sword, previously hidden beneath my cloak. I knew not how to use such a great weapon, but by holding it, my disguise was complete. I mentally thanked Morwen for her help with the final touches. Just let him find me now!
Posiedon, for his part, transformed himself into a sand dragon and, after emerging from the ground, he took to the air, looking for me with his touch-vision, as I knew he would. His astral construct scoured the ground for me as well. I figured he would not be able to easily tell me apart from my valkeries, particularly at a distance, particularly when he could not see me with his eyes, but could only feel with his power. I was right. In fact, even when it was clear he had detected my valkeries, he ignored them entirely, ordering his construct to do the same. Fortunately for me, his construct, like all temporary ectoplasmic beings, was of very limited intelligence and perception. I doubt it could have told us apart even had I stood visible, directly in front of it.
As the seconds wore away, and Posiedon fruitlessly searched the arena for something OTHER than a valkerie, his patience eventually wore thin. He decided to target a valkerie after all, perhaps thinking I was hiding behind one (or in a pocket of one as a fly). As luck would have it, the valkerie he targeted was me. As further luck would have it, he used the one power on me I both dreaded and also prepared for. Stygian Conflagration. As expected, I great column of blackness descended over me. And it would have drained away my lifeforce considerably, had my protections against powers not thwarted it. But even had that failed (as it was likely to most of the time given Posiedon’s power), it would still have done nothing. For in preparation for this bout, I had purchased a ring making me immune to the powers of the negative material plane. This would prove very handy later, when he targeted me again with his power, this time penetrating my resistance, and covering me completely.
He later targeted and drained two of my valkeries. One was so far down I dismissed her, hoping that this would further confuse Posiedon, because now there were only four of us total in here, though this never mattered, since he was never able to see more than four of us at a time even when we numbered five (we were spaced well apart and kept shifting in response to his movements across the arena).
In the end, the time ran out, and so I revealed myself. My final tally of points was 257. I hoped that was enough. I later learned Nin had scored 271. That also boded well. Even more astonishing, Nin had killed Posiedon in single combat! All within six seconds! Nin had asked me for advice and I had given it to him. He transported himself right next to Posiedon within the first second of the bout and then activiated a magical and psionic suppression field around himself to prevent Posiedon from escaping and to prevent his defenses from functioning. It helped that Nin moved first, before Posiedon could react. When Posiedon tried to run, Nin tripped him with his chain, and then beat him to a bloody pulp. Poor Posiedon. At least I never put a scratch on him.
I am now waiting to see how Ee and Morwen do in their matches. It should be very interesting to see what happens. And then after that, we will see if we have done well enough to reach my goal of attaining the King’s favor and the status attendant to being his personal adventuring company.

Altalazar

First Post
Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Fifty-Five – Final Results

In the end, we were all triumphant in the games. We four became the King’s Own Adventuring Party, though we need to come up with a name beyond that simple fact. Apparently the King, King Vermos Antos VIII thinks that “Dragonslayers” is too specific and narrow a descriptor for the adventuring party that represents his interests. We shall have to put some thought into that. Which means Ee won’t be shouting out our name this time.
There was no overall cash prize for winning, but we did come away with quite a few other benefits. None of these will directly pay me back for the 30,000 gold piece outlay to Ee, but then I consider it money well spent. And I’m sure Ee will spend it well. Something we did all obtain for our victory was a golem warhorse to carry us in our travels, not only across the land, but across water, and through the very ether itself, though only once a day. Unlike most constructions of magic, they are intelligent, though only as intelligent as an ordinary warhorse.
For the King’s service, we also have braclets of friendship that allow us to be summoned to the King’s presence at his command, presumably for emergencies. One hopes that Ee is not summoned while he’s off in the woods taking care of his barbarian needs.
The King has offered each of us a dozen of his best troops to guard each of our own strongholds, whatever they may be. I happily accepted this offer, and placed them under my command at my home in Cauldron. The King also will finance the construction of a fortress for us all to gather. Posiedon has volunteered a location for its construction deep in the bowels of Cauldron’s magically inert volcano. Plans will have to be drawn up soon!
But before any plans could be made, and before we could even collect on our consignments from two months before, disaster struck Cauldron yet again.

Book XXII – Souless Pillars

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Fifty-Six – I lose a cook and gain a farmer

It started with a cook. Rather, it started for me with MY cook. Shari. She was one of my promising cook’s assistants in my primary kitchen in my home. She woke up one night screaming, bringing in the other kitchen staff and then eventually, myself. I probed her mind and tried to get her to calm down, but she was literally insane with terror. I quickly linked with her mind and soothed away her insanity, setting her right. And I discovered that she was not insane at all. Someone else was. Someone who was inhabiting her body, suppressing her soul deep beneath him. This possessor did not know where he was or how he got “there.”
He said his name was Nadir. From what he told me, he must have lived in the reign of King Antos I, nearly six hundred years ago, though it was hard to tell specifics from his peasant brain. Mostly I got images of toiling away on a farm for decades before being sucked into some horrible prison for the soul, where he festered for centuries, unable to die, not really alive. Sort of like some of the more fossilized judges I used to deal with in my lawerly days.
Not wanting to sacrifice a cook (good ones are so hard to find), I took him to the temple of Pelor to see if they could help him there. I could say the idea just popped into my head, and that would be true, but it was Morwen that put it there. She contacted him and asked for help and she was already at the temple. Apparently there were many others similarly afflicted.
Unfortunately, there was nothing the clerics could do beyond transforming the insane possessors into sane possessors. Posiedon soon joined us and we worked over as many minds as we could. Before the night was over, we had cured almost eighty of the afflicted of their insanity. But none of their possession. Pelor cautioined against banishing them. He said it would not be a good thing. But then, good for who? Shari might perhaps disagree about that. While I said nothing out loud, I vowed to myself and to Shari that if this could not be cured in a “good” way, I would still have Higgins banish the spirit possessing her. It was her body first, after all.
As we often do when perplexed by a strange problem, we consulted Tuvstarr. She and Posiedon had the answer, this time from personal experience. Apparently there were “soul pillars” as part of some evil scheme they had derailed some time ago. They were supposed to be indestructible, but apparently being buried in lava for several years changed that, at least for one of them. Now it was broken and was “leaking” souls into Cauldron at the rate of 80 a day. Soon everyone in Cauldron of weak mind or spirit would be replaced if we did not act soon.
Posiedon also gave us the means to act. He had a cylindrical vessel capable of navigating the lava. And we had a certain box liberated from a white dragon many moons ago that, by its presence, could greatly cool a large area. We decided then we would delve down into the lava with the box and let it cool the lava over two days until we could then tunnel into it and “rescue” the pillars.
Nin thought we should take different action. “I think it is just wrong to possess someone for so long. We should destroy all of the pillars and the possessors!”
It sounded good to me, but I was out voted. Instead, we would drag the pillars to the surface, one by one, and then take them to the plane of Limbo where three powerful clerics, of three different orders would banish and destroy each pillar. Similarly we could free on Limbo each of the possessed, though their numbers will be greatly swelled by the time we get the last pillar free.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Fifty-Seven – Deep Delving

It did not take long to find the five largest pillars. After two days of cooling, I disintegrated my way into the rock around them and freed them, freezing the entire area further with blasts of cold emanating from my mind. We then attached the pillar to the back of Posiedon’s cylinder with large, thick chains and slowly towed them to the surface, making it up the 800 feet long before the chains melted.
The sixth pillar was smaller, but also easy to find and restore. It was the seventh that gave us real trouble. It was lodged some five miles deep in the magma. We only found it with the aid of Tuvstarrs powerful divination magic. And then after we arrived at its location, we determined that the trip back up would likely melt any chains we could use to bind it. We seemed to be stuck until Tuvstarr finally sighed and rolled up her sleeves, whispering soft words of magic. “I wish…” was all that I heard before I saw the pillar glow and then vanish. Talk about an expensive way to move a little slab of rock.
Higgins told me later that it was a more of a limited wish than a full wish, but it still taxed Tuvstarr greatly. On the surface again, we surveyed the pillar from down deep and saw that it was clearly damaged. Its surface was scarred and blistered and arcs of energy sputtered forth from it every few minutes, releasing a soul in a shower of colorful light. It was very beautiful to behold. I wondered how many more sparks would issue forth before I would have to do all of my own cooking.
It took us over five days to free the seven pillars. In that time, nearly four hundred souls had taken residence in residents of Cauldron. So it took us nearly a week to take the pillars to Limbo and then each of the possessed citizens there as well to be freed from their unwanted travelers.
Our task complete, we finally were able to rest and bask in our victory. Four weeks later, we finally collected our spoils from the possessions of the twin dragons we defeated below the sea. We each collected the princely sum of 57,188 pieces of gold. I then promptly handed over 30,000 of that to Ee, payment in full for our victory. I wondered what he would do with all of that coin. My coin was already dedicated to a project of my own. I returned to my laboratory and sat down with a small pile of smooth, soft stones. I picked one up and held it in my palm as I began to concentrate. I felt my mind flow into it, making it feel warm to the touch. I had much work to do.

Altalazar

First Post
Book XXIII

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Fifty-Eight – We Are All Doomed

My plans for enoblement were once again rudely interrupted, this time by a rather sniveling little creature who came to my door and bothered me (after an appropriate ten minute wait). The creature turned out to be a Kobold who claimed to be named Meepos. He was almost pathetic in stature, probably from a great deal of practice at having to deal with being one of the weaker and less-regarded of the sentient races. He bore a message.
The message stated, in ornate script, “Doomed. You are all Doomed Doomed DOOMED! Muwahahahahaha!”
Apparently I was not the only one to get this message. Tuvstarr, Posiedon, and Morwen also received an identical message from an identical Kobold.
Tuvstarr and Posiedon had already started on tracking down the mysterious author of our notes. Tuvstarr determined through various divinations and scrying that the kobold received the notes from a black cloaked figure in a cavern with red glowing walls. It was very familiar. It was the area we cleared out for the soul pillars. The figure was also familiar, but no one could quite place him.
Next to him was a watermelon sized sphere of many colors that appeared to contain something else. We had to get in to look for ourselves to determine what it was. Apparently, it was why we were “doomed.” (As we later found out). Posiedon, always cautious, decided that we should teleport down in his cylinder as opposed to on our own, so we’d have refuge from the lava. We made our preparations and then transported 800 feet down below the streets of Cauldron.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Fifty-Nine – We Meet Our Doom-Maker

Posiedon tried to have his vessel appear such that the “watermelon” would be inside of it, but it ended up on the outside, not that it ultimately mattered. He opened the door so we could listen to the black cloaked figure give a rather long-winded speech.
“So, at last, the ‘mighty’ Posiedon and his ilk have come to challenge me! You who were so arrogant you would not let me challenge you in your so-called games, and whose rules kept my ‘pets’ from participating, effectively banning me from my rightful place as victor, by the King’s side! You are all pathetic. You, Tuvstarr, your synchophantic ‘winners’ who lowered themselves to play your ‘games’ are all beneath me! And now, you are beneath everyone in Cauldron, where you will meet your doom! Minions! Ready the attack!”
Tuvstarr by now had studied the “watermelon” carefully and determined that the eight colored spheres surrounding it were linked to like-colored pendants around the necks of various creatures we now saw surrounding us. Two white dragons, gargantuan in size, flanked us, along with a mindflayer, a vampire, a beholder, a drow, a lich-queen, and an orc. Posiedon was about to strike at the cloaked figure, who despite our close proximity, we still could not identify, when suddenly the white dragon standing behind him lowered her head and swallowed the black cloaked figure whole, snuffing out his life in an instant. Anger flared in the dragon’s eyes, and some resignation as well. Despite her snack, she still was going to attack us.
Any thought of escape (which was not present with Posiedon in any case) vanished as Tuvstarr quickly told us that the magical artifact inside the spheres (which were immobile and impenetrable) was slowly unraveling the fabric of the epic spell that kept the volcano from erupting and erasing Cauldron. We had days, hours, or perhaps minutes before that happened. We needed to get to it as soon as we could or else we’d be risking the loss of some rather expensive (and hard won) real estate.
Morwen bravely jumped out into the fray, along with Tuvstarr. Magic flared, blades danced, and dead flesh fell from the lich queen, though she did not fall. The orc was spared by the anti-magic eye of the beholder. Unfortunately, the next instant found the beholder surrounded by not one but FIVE huge astral constructs, courtesy of Posiedon and two of his cohorts, apparently aided by a stoppage of time. They quickly cut down the eye tyrant, sparing us its eyes. It was disappointing to me, since I had never faced a beholder before, though I had conversed with a rather jovial one in a village that I was not supposed to remember (and now would never ever forget).
The two white dragons positioned themselves around the five constructs and quickly cut them down, first with their frosty breath, and then with their razor sharp claws, teeth, and tails. Butthey were quickly replaced by more. The drow dodged and weaved his way toward Posiedon’s craft and then inside, where he with a few quick slashes of his double blades, nearly killed one of Posiedon’s cohorts. Meanwhile, the lich queen sent off some dark magic of her own and dusted several more constructs.
Tuvstarr shed some light on the situation, casting a powerful magic that should have instantly blinded all creatures of evil within the cave, regardless of whatever protections they might have had. Unfortunately, not every foe was evil, though the mindflayer spent the remainder of the fight wandering around, feeling for the walls before it was struck down by Posiedon (who had changed his form to that of a huge mountain troll).
The lich queen and vampire were also quickly vanquished. As fate would have it, the orc was grappled by a giant hand of magic created by Tuvstarr, and he lasted to the bitter end.
The two dragons were mighty in size, but they simply could not stand up to the punishment of the constructs, Posiedon, and the combined magic of Tuvstarr, Nimue, and Higgins.
Late to the fray was our “friend” Meepos, who was not what he appeared. His real name we may never know. He fought with the speed of the most epic of martial arts masters, his open-handed blows having the force of a dragon’s tail. I took careful aim at his small form and threw the entire might of my brain into a disintegration ray. The kobold, untouched by anything to that point, vanished into a pile of dust.
The opponents vanquished, we freed the artifact from the spheres of force, but then were left with the problem of what to do about it. Tuvstarr quickly determined that the only way to destroy it was to use a magical disjunction on it, but she had not prepared that powerful enchantment. Unsure of the time we had left, she shifted to the astral plane and rested there a day to prepare before returning to our own plane a moment later. After a quick weaving (and subsequent unweaving) of magic, the artifact was no more. Cauldron was saved, yet again. Only one question remained one which will forever be left unanswered, even by the gods:
“Just who the heck was that guy?”

Altalazar

First Post
Book XXIV

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Sixty – Noble Largesse

One of the perks of our new station in the Kingdom is that we are often invited to dine with nobles throughout the realm. Over the past several months, I have taken up every noble who has offered an invitation, teleporting myself to many a banquet in many a fancy noble hall across the face of the Kingdom. Predictably, Ee was not much interested in such "fancy pants" gatherings as he called them, but Nin and Morwen showed an interest, so I brought them along. Strangely, Morwen would sometimes absent herself from the proceedings for a time, though I should say this is normal for her. I get the sense that she has a lot more going on than she would ever care to admit. That said, she did know how to use her "assets" as a woman to great effect at these parties, dressing in clothes that generously could be called a dress, if worn on a halfling. Nin seemed to mostly enjoy making people at these fancy gatherings uncomfortable with the fact that he was an orc, a noble one at that.
At the latest gathering, this time at a Castle in Aldeberon in one of the further provinces, I spied something that looked very familiar. A painting. It was not the artistry or the artist that caught my eye. It was the subject matter itself. It showed a map of a territory I know I have never been, but that I have seen before. When I pointed it out to Higgins, he said it looked familiar to him as well. I asked the hostess to tell me about the painting.
"Oh, that is just a map, nothing special. I bought it in town from an artist - he's dead now, so it is sure to be worth something. His name was Davinchee or something like that."
She walked away after giving that "helpful" information and then it hit me - The map was similar to one of my three treasure maps I bought many moons ago but still have yet to exploit (so many parties to attend and planes to save). This painting resembled the map that I had that I was unable to discern the location of and unable to teleport to, no matter how hard I tried. The artist's map, however, showed additional land to the east of my map, and perhaps that would be sufficient to teleport near the map's location.
I gathered my fellow noble partiers around me and we made ready to go back to Cauldron (to grab Ee) before heading out in search of what lies at the end of my treasure map. We spent the night at the castle, so as not to insult our hosts, and then left the next day. I found Ee still out in the woods. He had been very busy out there.
"Me building me own village. Population Ee."
Ee's attempts at construction were not very impressive. Mostly he had built a lot of survival shelters. I suggested to him that perhaps he ought to get some contractors to build the more permanent structures.
"Me here!" he said to my suggestion. I told him about the treasure map and so, hearing the mention of gold, he was ready to go. This despite his returning to me the 30,000 gold coins I had paid him for the tournament months before. I guess even Ee has his pride.
We made plans to depart in three days so we would be leaving on the day before our secret moon was at its fullest. We knew this would make us stronger for a day. We decided to take every advantage we could get going into the unknown.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Sixty-One – Wrongful Imprisonment

While I was waiting for the moon, my information network informed me that there was someone who was wrongfully imprisoned in the jails of Cauldron. Apparently a Bartender named Brup had a problem with this individual and falsely accused him of stealing ten gold from his bar. Not wanting injustice on my watch, I sent some of my best attorneys to rectify the situation. Soon, the man was free. The only unfortunate thing was that he had already been feeding me lots of information from inside the jail. But that can be rectified. I have guards there as well. Now the only loose end is seeing that Brup finds his way inside that jail. But that will have to wait.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Sixty-Two – The Moon is Almost Full

Once the day of departure arrived, we wasted no time in teleporting in. It turned out that the new map allowed me to teleport within 300 feet of the location that defied all attempts at scrying or magical transportation. Walking, however, was perfectly fine. We opted to go on foot instead of on our still new golem mounts simply because we did not know what we were getting into. I created a teleportation circle back for a quick exit, if need be.
It did not take long to find a cave entrance. Footprints in the dust looked to be over a year old. The cave itself led down a tunnel which dead-ended in a wall, one which the map clearly showed blocked the way into a large chamber. Nin and Ee started to bash the wall down, eventually allowing passage. Beyond, we found a huge ring on the far wall with a pedestal in the center of the chamber. Both were magical. Both were tied together. Both obviously formed some sort of transportation device. Looking them over, Morwen determined that the device, which was controlled by four colored stones, was functional but drained of all magical energy. It would take a fair amount of cold, electrical, fire, and acid magic to provide the charge for a single use of the ring. Summoning up my mental reserves, and aided by Nimue, Morwen, and Higgins, we were able to provide it enough energy for eight charges, though then we needed to rest. Which would then be perfect, for the next day was the full moon.
My companions, for reasons unclear, decided they wanted to rest in this chamber. I left for my warm bed in Cauldron, wondering what strange hold the hard rock of the cave held for them. The next morning, I found out that the rock apparently had strong feelings for them as well.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Sixty-Three - Morning Rockhug

When I returned the next morning, the cavern again ended in a solid face of rock. Apparently the rock slowly healed itself overnight, sealing in my companions. I decided to see if they were still alive by tapping on the rock with my specially enchanted silver dagger I acquired so many moons ago. There was no response. Then I heard a voice in my head.
"Why are you messing with Ee like this," asked Nin as I continued to tap.
Then I asked Ee, via the mindlink, "Ee, do you hear sounds on the other side of the wall?"
"How you know!" said Ee. "You omnishent!"
"Ee."
"Yes?"
"That's me."
"Ah!"
"Please stand back and open a hole for me."
I heard the sounds of shuffling as Larch started to intone magic to shape the rock and then was interrupted by Ee shouting, "No, me can!" and then the sounds of an axe striking the rock echoed down the hall. After about a minute of this, Larch again intoned magic and the way was clear.
"Obviously, rock retreated from me blows!" said Ee.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Sixty-Four – We Open the Iris

Morwen activated the pedestal, which caused the large ring to slowly fill with a misty fog that then solidified. Ee was volunteered to go first. He stepped up to it and put his axe into the mist. While he seemed to have no trouble putting it in, he was unable to pull it out. Finally, Ee being Ee, he just stepped all the way through and vanished.
I tried to contact Ee with my mindlink, but with no success. Either the plane he travelled to blocks it, he is on a plane again with a huge time differential, or Ee is no longer in any condition to talk (well, more-so than usual). Not wanting to think about it too much ourselves, we all stepped through the ring.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Sixty-Five – Dire Circumstances

On the other side of the ring, we found ourselves in a very sandy, windy place. I could hear mental gasps from my companions (their audible gasps drowned out by the driving wind around us and their pale faces obscurred by the sandstorm) as something rather awful happened to each of them. I felt fine, but both Higgins and I felt a warm glow from the rings we shared on our right index fingers that protected us against the ravages of the negative material plane. While this did not appear to be that plane, it seemed to have at least one similar effect. My companions felt a bit weaker.
On the plus side, I was able to contact Ee. Ee said, "Me here. On top of rock." He seemed to be referring to a rock outcropping that was behind us as we arrived (unfortunately a rock without any ring evident). Ee said that he heard a voice in his head to "climb the rock." I had a bad feeling about that. It wasn't any of us who told him that.
We all climbed the rock and found ourselves above the driving sand, on an oasis of rock. In the distance, we could see a few more rocks sticking up from the sand below us and then, in the far distance, we saw a huge rock oasis with a tall tower at its apex. Given that we had nowhere else to go, we made plans to head in that direction. Then the dread wraiths struck.
Two huge creatures made of mist came up from beneath the rock. The immediately began trying to drain the life from Ee. Fortunately for Ee, his life is hard-headed, so they did not succeed, but they did keep us occupied for several minutes. Or rather, they kept Ee, Nin, and Morwen occupied. Apparently another property of this plane prevents me from manifesting any powers. Those that were already active seem intact, but no new powers could come from my mind. Higgins found he also could not cast a single spell. Only those already active or those from items, such as scrolls, seemed to function. Wonderful. I thought about, right then and there, attempting to leave, but decided to let things play out a while.
Soon the dread wraiths were returned to the mists and we were again contemplating the tower. It was a long ways off. I did not feel like walking. I told Morwen and the others that I could get us there.
"How?" She asked.
"Watch," I replied. I then picked up a rock from the ground. A small, round rock that looked almost artificial in origin. In fact, it was. I know this because I dropped it there a moment earlier, when no one was paying any attention. I then held the rock and held everyone's hand and teleported us all to the base of the tower. I knew those power stones would come in handy when I made them months before. I imagined I might need them for a quick escape, so I made many to allow travel and transportation, both within and across the planes, at at time when my mental reserves were low or gone. I did not imagine I'd need to use them before I'd used any of my mental reserves at all.
Once we were at the tower, I suggested to Larch some recon.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Sixty-Six – The Tower

Larch agreed, and transformed himself into a small bird. He flew up to the top of the tower, to what apparently were the only windows, two small slits at opposite sides of the tower. Inside were three lovely women, all lounging about on couches in a well-decorated room at the top of the tower. Somehow, I doubted diplomacy would help, but it was worth a try. I picked up another stone and prepared to transport everyone to the women.
I was only slightly worried about the strange glowing ball of darkness sitting in the middle of the room.
As it turned out, the women, vampires all, were more interested in using their mouths for sucking out vital bodily fluids than they were for talking. Interestingly, they all used rapiers rather than their negative-draining touch. Perhaps they figured that anyone who could survive here is immune. In the case of myself and Higgins, that assumption is certainly an accurate one.
Unable to manifest powers, I spent the next several minutes in a defensive posture, watching my companions in a desperate melee against the three powerful vampires. Nin's chain was quite effective at keeping one of them on her knees, so she opted instead to try to bash Nin with her Ring of the Ram rather than trying to get up again. Nin's chain soon pounded her into gas. The others also were soon gas, and they all headed toward the fireplace. Given the lack of stairs in the room, it seemed to be the only method of egress between the levels of the tower. How inconvenient for us.
I watched the gas carefully as it left. Higgins watched as well. Higgins, bless his heart, was able to participate more fully. He used several scrolls to both heal Morwen and harm the vampires, turning a second vampire to gas in the process. She then took a scroll of disintigrate and used it against one of the fleeing gas clouds, sending the gas to dust and dumping to the floor a bunch of equipment, including a rapier. Unfortunately, within the gas was six more vampires coming up from below.
Nin kept three of them on their butts with his chain, but despite concentrating our efforts, we still hadn't taken down even one of the newcomers before three more vampires arrived from below. I hoped there weren't three of them per level. That would be eighteen vampires in all, and I had my doubts about us handling the nine that were before us. Then a thought came to mind, courtesy of Higgins.
"Yes, my hair is all in place, why do you ask?"

Altalazar

First Post
Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Sixty-Seven – Hair Facts

“How do you know your hair is in place?” Higgins asked me.
“My mirror,” I replied, unsure where this was going.
“Use that against them. They cannot approach you if you present it toward them strongly. I can do the same with the symbol of my order.”
“Ah,” I replied “But how is keeping them at bay going to help us kill them all?”
And with that philosophical question asked for the ages, the fighting continued.
Morwen charged me, leaving me wondering if she had been charmed, but she simply handed me her backpack before tumbling back into the fray. I heard a voice in my head say “scroll. Nimue.”
I pulled a scroll out of the backpack, hoping it was the right one, and handed it to Nimue. At that moment, Ee screamed with a rage so intense it could intimidate the dead. And apparently it did, leaving at least one of the powerful vampires quivering in her velvety boots.
I heard another voice in my head say “what form do you want?” I thought of the form taken by Posiedon at the tournament, but I was pretty sure that was beyond the capabilities of the scroll in question, so I tried to think of the biggest, meanest thing I could be. I thought to her, “Fire Giant.”
Several seconds later, I was a fire giant, stepping over to help Morwen with flanking a vampire. She seemed to be doing well.
Higgins took his own advice and held forth his holy symbol to keep the vampires at bay. It was hard to say if it worked since they were all busy killing my other companions. Higgins also tried to disintegrate the black sphere in the middle of the room, mumbling something about it being a “negative energy boon to vampires.” Unfortunately, it seemed mostly intact when he was done. Then things got really dire.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Sixty-Eight – Vampires go negative

The Vampires either tired of using their rapiers or decided that they wanted to end this fight and go back to their coffins. So they started slamming their cold hands into my companions, quickly sucking all of their life away with each hit. Four vampires surrounded Morwen and nearly killed her with one sickening volley of blows. Ee and Nin were not faring much better. Higgins and I were immune to their life-sucking, but they chose not to attack us, perhaps figuring that spell casters, even those that look rather like giants, were no threat. I decided it was time to go.
“Gather around me,” I told everyone over the mindlink. “We’re getting out of here.”
My companions gathered up around me. One benefit to my giant size was that I was able to reach them all, even Morwen, who was surrounded. I linked to my stone and then in the next instant we were standing out on the rocks outside the tower. I could have tried to plane shift us from there, but I decided better safe than sorry, in case plane shifting did not work. The last thing the vampires saw of us was Higgins reading a scroll to disintegrate another one of their gaseous friends.
Fortunately, my other stones worked and we plane shifted out of there in the next instant. If only we could have eliminated the other two gaseous vampires. But at least we eliminated two of them for next time.
I still could do no powers, but knew that I could with some rest. Not wanting to wait (with all my companions feeling the horrible after-effects of the vampires’ touch, I used a stone to teleport us all to my stronghold, where they could all use my restorative bed to repair the damage wrought by my companion’s close brush with the negative material plane. Then it was time for me to use the restorative power of my own bed to get some much-needed rest.

Book XXV – Ee’s Village People

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Sixty-Nine – Stones Unturned

The first thing I did once I had a good night’s rest was I went over the combat with the vampires and determined what stones I would need to do battle with them again. Then I used the trick showed to me by Tuvstarr to travel to the astral plane in order to obtain more time to complete the stones. By the next day, the job was complete. I was ready to return. As was Higgins. In fact, Higgins had found an even better solution to our problem. But I wanted to wait until the moon was full again to maximize our advantage. That meant waiting another month.
Two days into my wait, I received word from Ee.
“Cordozo? Me ee.”
“Yes?”
“Me need help. Cordozo transport Ee to village? All villagers safe. Village gone. Ee need go.”
“Sure, Ee.” I replied, then I was standing by Ee’s side. Then we were back at my stronghold. “Do you need any help? Should I get the others?”
“Ee want help. Ee go without help. Bye,” Ee, mounted on his golem warhose, then stepped onto the teleportation circle I had just created for him and vanished.
Figuring that Ee was going to just get himself into trouble, I rounded up my companions and we all stepped onto the teleportation circle to Ee’s (former) village. What we saw was astounding.

Sir Cordozo – Chapter Two-Hundred Seventy – Damn, That’s a Big Tree

Where Ee’s village used to stand, there was nothing but a huge tree. And I when I say huge, I mean gargantuan. No, Colossal. Actually, even bigger than that. It was at least five hundred feet wide at the base, and its upper limbs seemed to cover the landscape with shade for miles. The creaking and groaning of the branches above us and the ground below us seemed to indicate that it was still growing at an incredible rate. If it kept that up, no doubt the world would be…
“Destroyer!” said Higgins. “That’s the tree of Magnus, a demon, destroyer of worlds. Magnus has been held captive and controlled by an artifact known as the ‘Seed of Magnus’ for eons. Once planted, it establishes a link with the life force of the world it inhabits. It can only be defeated if this connection to the seed is destroyed. The tree itself is like a touch of the abyss from whence it came. It kills all living things.”
“Magnus was defeated by the demon lord of torture and bloodletting, Lazbral’thull, who uses the seed to command Magnus to do his bidding. Magnus desires to be free of this above all else. That and he desires vengeance.”
“How long until we are all devoured?” I asked idly.
“The tree grows at least a mile every six hours.”
“I guess the vampires really can wait for a month,” I said as we started to head for the base of the tree.
Camped out at the base of the tree were well over a hundred orcs led by over a dozen trolls. While they did not pose much of a threat, I was in a hurry. After their rather pathetic volley of arrows (which bounced harmlessly off of my adamantine body), I acted. In one instant I was standing amongst their right wing, bursting forth with fire in a huge sphere around me, then I was standing in their center, bursting forth with more fire from my second mind. Nearly one hundred orc corpses and ten troll corpses lay smouldering at my feet.
Wanting to explore one of my newly discovered powers, I approached one of the remaining trolls and touched it with a black finger. The troll shuddered and screamed, and then its whole body was absorbed into my own, leaving nothing of the troll behind. Unfortunately, I looked rather like a troll myself, but I knew that would only be temporary. What was also temporary was the huge boost I felt to myself as the troll’s strength of being coursed throughout my body. I could get to like this. If only I didn’t have to look like a troll.
My companions quickly finished off the stragglers. Then we approached the base of the tree.

Last edited:

Remove ads