• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Menace of the Icy Spire (Ozymandias79 judging)

balth

First Post
Balth half-jumps at the combination of seeing the man frozen in the ice, but also when Larinza shouts over the distance between them. He scans around quickly, looking for possible attack.

He stands, turns his head towards the group, and points downward ominously at the patch of ice he just cleared. He then starts towards the wreckage, to see if there is either anything salvageable they might use, or any idea of exactly what happened to this vessel.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Shorrin eyes the shipwreck carefully. "It appears to me as if the ice rose suddenly, striking the ship. Is such magic possible or was the ship a victim of a well timed accident?"

[sblock="Mechanics"]
Anybody who wants to take a stab at answering that question should roll Nature.
[/sblock]

From the entrance to the hole, Balth can't see anything more - he'll have to go inside to see what's in or behind the cargo.

[sblock="More Mechanics"]
Balth, since you didn't mention you were taking off the snowshoes, I'll assume you're still wearing them. While you're still out in the open, I'll mention that in combat you'll take a -2 move penalty due to the awkwardness (and possibly penalties to Dex-based skill checks and the like).
[/sblock]

changer

First Post
When the sleds arraive at the ship Janus will have a closer look to see if he can fathom any more details as to the demise of the ship.

"Hmmm, Hmmm, yes, interesting....I have seen my master conjure walls of ice, so to answer your question Shorrin, Yes. Now stand clear and I will attempt to detect the presence of any lingering magic." Janus mutters as he strokes his hand over his deep blue orb.

[sblock=ooc]
Janus will try for the nature roll.
Nature 1d20+3

Here is the Detect Magic roll.
Arcana 1d20+9
[/sblockhttp://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1941823/

JoeNotCharles

First Post
OOC: when linking to Invisible Castle, can you quote the final number instead of just the roll, so I don't have to click every link? Thanks.

[sblock="changer"]
The spire of ice looks like many of the floating chunks you saw from the Kraken's deck - it seems more likely that the ship struck an iceberg and then this icefield later froze around it.

As for detecting magic - you can't sense the presence of any magic in the air here. As far as you can tell the ice and cold is all natural - which is odd, since the evidence you've seen of sudden flash freezing is definitely not normal.
[/sblock]

EDIT: didn't mean to ignore the requests to look in the ship, I just don't have time to write up a lot of detail right now. I might not be able to post until tomorrow - big deadline at work.

Last edited:

changer

First Post
Janus, coming out of a trance says. "Well, no magic I can detect, looks like a natural occurance or the magic was performed elsewhere and the after effects were felt here. Either way, the crew were in the wrong place at the wrong time."

[sblock=ooc]
OOC: when linking to Invisible Castle, can you quote the final number instead of just the roll, so I don't have to click every link? Thanks.

Yeh sorry 'bout that, will do.

[/sblock

balth

First Post
Balth listens from where he is and hears the magical report, nodding. He slips off his snowshoes, leaving them where they are, and slings his bow over his shoulder, removing his fingerless gloves. He climbs onto the ship, and towards the hole, peering in to see what he can discover. He slowly and carefully tries to blend into the woodwork as he approaches.

[sblock=ooc rolls]

Stealth +1 (1d20+10+1=22)
Perception+1 (1d20+11+1=18)

[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Balth eases into the ship's hold and makes his way gingerly across the slippery, slanted floor. Nothing moves. Close to the door some bales of cargo have split and spilt their contents over the ice - grey, undyed wool. It comes apart in Balth's hands as he brushes against it.

There is a sudden creak, and Balth freezes - but it is only the ship settling slightly. Nothing moves. The ship is silent and dead.

As Balth turns to leave, he notices something fluttering in the corner of his eye. He moves deeper into the cargo hold to investigate. It turns out to be nothing but a flag (bearing the emblem of the famous "Lucky L'irkash" shipping family), caught on a hatch above and fluttering in the wind. Seeing nothing else of interest, Balth turns back to the exit.

A sudden moaning and thrashing breaks the stillness from the deck above! Balth looks up to where the ship's sails, still hanging from the broken mast, are draped over the side of the ship, trailing onto the ice. Something seems to be caught in the sails, and it's thrashing and ripping at them trying to get out. Before he can move, the thing claws its way free and tumbles from the deck onto the ice with a sickening crunch. Unharmed by the fall, it pulls itself jerkily to its feet, and Balth finds himself staring into the face of another dead crewman, directly between him and the exit! Itsjaws gaping horribly and its dead skin is rimed with frost, but cold light burns in its eyes as it stumbles towards him!

Outside, the rest of the party has their attention focused on the dark hole Balth disappeared into, when their attention is suddenly drawn away by the tumult on deck. As they turn to face the disturbance, they realize that a ring of dead men have emerged silently from behind rocks and are silently, grimly, staring at them - they're surrounded!

[sblock="OOC"]
Yes, it's ridiculous that zombies can sneak up on you over an open ice sheet - but that's how it works in horror movies. Rule of Cool.

Balth is at I9 on the map. The interior of the ship is difficult terrain due to the poor footing and the cargo strewn about (but none of the bales are big enough to provide cover). The stairway behind Balth has collapsed, and although the hole in the roof is open, it's 10 feet overhead.

The rest of you, place yourselves where you want to be! You approached from the east, and should be close to the break in the ship (although you could have circled around to look in from the north side if you want). Put yourselves at least 2 squares away from the zombie, though. I'll place the rest of the zombies and roll initiative when I know where you all are standing.

The fallen sails are difficult terrain and provide concealment to creatures on the opposite side of a spar. The large rocks to the south of the ship provide cover. Just off the south end of the map is a large fissure in the ice, which explains why the map doesn't extend farther that way. Yeah, that's the ticket.
[/sblock]

(Larger version)

(Backup on another site)

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock="OOC"]
Amendment to the above: I said I was going to roll initiative for everyone, "to keep things moving". I guess that won't speed anything up if I'm waiting for you to post your position anyway, so please post a position and an initiative roll. (But not a combat action yet, I want to get the initiative order worked out first.) Also, decide which squares the sleds are in, or whether you left them off the edge of the map.
[/sblock]

Remove ads