Mensans, reveal yourselves

Mensa. Pfft.

Yeah, put my name on a big fat database that the government can spy on anytime, and then copy and paste into their "Intellectual Dissident" list. Why not just change your name to Oppenheimer and be done with it?

And they call themselves "geniuses".

And the sad truth is, I'm joking a lot less than I'd like to think.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
BVB said:
What character races and classes do people with 132+ IQs play?

Is that all it takes? I think thats lower than the REL (gifted) program in middleschool...

Do people really join Mensa? I don't think I could handle being that pretentious... Or maybe I'm so pretentious I don't think the people in Mensa would be up to my standards. :D

Kahuna burger

ichabod

Legned
Re: Re: Mensans, reveal yourselves

Neo said:

Well I suspect there are few if any with a 132+ IQ around here as that is generally top 4 or 5 percentile levels of the populace.

Well, top 5th percentile (usually called 95th percentile) is one out of every 20 people, and 4th is one out of every 25. Given that the boards have over 13,000 members, that would be five to six hundred 132+ IQs on the boards. I could certainly see an argument that the boards are not a representative sample, but to be such a hideously bad sample that 'few if any' were around stretches the imagintion.

tburdett

Explorer
When tested in 4th grade my IQ was 146. Those of us who did well on the first test were given a second test to determine our level of academic preparedness. I scored 'college level' on every part of that test. My advice is to do poorly on these tests. People expect so much more of you when they see results like this and the pressure can be unbearable.

I really enjoy playing characters with multiple classes. Rogue, barbarian, fighter, master samurai characters are currently my favorite.

Last edited:

clark411

First Post
Also in the qualified but never bothered route (128 math, 148 english, 168 spatial.. go go shapes!).. what's an 8 year old going to do with an official Mensa coffee mug? Why pay a membership fee to spend time with people when there are plenty of just fine people in the neighborhood? That was my thinking anyway.

I do tend to play wizards and clerics, also I hate playing any character that has no way of puzzle logic thought stuff or can't rightfully voice my thoughts. I've become irritated in the past when the group is stuck on a problem (dealing with a person or puzzle) for 15 minutes and I can't point out what I'm pretty sure is the answer (not that i'm always correct- anything but!). That said.. I do have this nice idiot dwarf ranger right now who is great.

Then again, I also play these classes because most of my gaming buddies prefer the fighting and scouting classes. If there's a caster in the group, invariably it's me... I've just learned to enjoy filling the niche. Also take turns DMing.

Last edited:

arwink

Clockwork Golem
I've only ever gamed with one person who tested his IQ and took it seriously enough to do things like apply for Mensa.

He only played White Wolf.

(Although in real life, he did a pretty good line in pretentious git).

Wicht

Hero
Al'Kelhar said:
So smart people don't think about other people? Might just go to show that IQ tests don't measure social intelligence, only analytical skills.

It was my observation in the gifted programs I associated with in middle and high school that "smart" people are a pretty diverse bunch. There were some who were "intellectuals," but there were others who just studied hard and applied themselves to classes, some who, like me, goofed off a bit too much but still managed to get by with mostly A's and B's, some who were just regular joes, some who were popular, some who were geeks. IQ and the like tells you nothing about personality or desires.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Well personally I have to agree that Mensans have a wide range of personality types. My original test in Elementary school were not shared with me, as my parents felt it would make me overconfident and thus not excel. I was involved in various excellerated programs throughout school, and joined Mensa in college with a supposed IQ ranges of 138-146 depending on the category (though personally I don't put much stock in IQ tests).

As for D&D I am 90% of the time the DM, though on the rare chances I get to play, I find that I have a very strong attraction to the Rogue. I am also told that if I were ever transported to a D&D world I would be transformed into a Dwarf. ;)

I do also find it interesting to play Clerics but only if I find a faith I feel that I could truly believe in if it were real.

Remove ads