• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mensans, reveal yourselves

Mercule

Adventurer
Cedric said:
Join the Prometheus Society ...then you get bragging rights.

Well, my Weschler score is in the 1:1000 category. Other than that, I haven't taken too many of those tests.

Kinda makes me wish that I'd either studied for my ACT or that I hadn't been so sick that I passed out during it. Given that I still scored a 29, I'm pretty sure I could have edged it up a bit.

Aaron L

Hero
I was in gifted in middle school and high school, but I wouldn't even bother looking into mensa.

I gifted all we ever did was play video games and logic puzzles anyway.

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
Wicht said:
When I was a kid, I tested in at 135-138 but I have no idea what I would test as now, its kinda subjective. Never worried about Mensa but I did obtain one of those books on testing your own IQ outa curiousity and when I did the test and went and looked up the score, I discovered the book said it was unreliable for anything over a certain amount. And that was that. I haven't worried about it since.

Anywho, I normally play the DM.

ditto.

There really are not that many reliable tests. I tested about the same as Wicht as a kid, then in college I got such varied scores that I wouldn't call any of them reliable.

But if you want to say I still have my childhood score, and know what my character is

Forgotten Realms : 1/2 elf Bard/Sorcerer
Star Wars : Human Scoundrel
Will be playing a swashbuckler type game too where my character will be a human rogue.

I have a lot of interest in non-human characters as well.

Why do you ask?

BVB

First Post
So if we applied the 2 percent cut-off value for Mensa membership to a standard 3d6 sum and assumed the standard bell curve represented the general population's IQ range, then a Mensan would have a D&D attribute value of at least 16 or higher. (Six rolls out of 216 yield a 16; three rolls yield 17; one roll yields 18 -- those are the top 4.5 percent of all potential 3d6 outcomes. 17s and 18s together comprise the top 1.8 percent of possible 3d6 sums.)

Macbeth

First Post
Nice to know that a 17 INT is a Mensa worthy score.

As for me, I've never been in Mensa, but my IQ is around 132-148 (big range I know, but tests vary greatly) with a SAT Score of 1480 (800 Verbal!). I mostly DM, but when I can play my character is best described as unique, I've never played the same type twice (possibly because I don't get to play much :rolleyes: ). I've played a Bard Jester modeld after the fool in Shakespear's King Lear, A red neck survival nut that everybody thikns is great, mostly because he is so easy to hate, a Mexican Smuggler in a PbP game (see my sig) and a Elf Monk with control issues in another PbP game (also in my sig). Geuss i just love variety, since none of these characters have the same class.

Monster Manuel

First Post
I qualified for Mensa (and Prometheus Society) membership, but I don't place much stock in this sort of thing anymore. When I was younger, I had a lot of problems because I had this need to feel and try to prove that I was smarter than others. Once I grew up, I realized that there's nothing more pitiful than a geek who needs to feel superior (I refer only to myself). I'm over it.

Another factor was that when I first qualified, I was being raised by my aunt and uncle, two very 'down to earth' people. They didn't go for these kinds of things, and I'm glad for it. I was always getting in trouble for correcting people (including teachers) and generally being a smart***. *** is the operative word here :). While I might like the conversation, I have the internet for that now, and though I'm sure that most Mensa members are very nice people, I don't think I could deal with the sheer stink of ego from the others.

On a tangential note; I think that holisitc intelligence tests cut other valuable forms of intellegence out. As I read *somewhere* just the other day, it's not a matter of asking "How smart are you?", but instead, "How are you smart?".

Edit; I forgot to mention that I prefer to DM.

Last edited:

Xeriar

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Mensans, reveal yourselves

ichabod said:

Well, top 5th percentile (usually called 95th percentile) is one out of every 20 people, and 4th is one out of every 25. Given that the boards have over 13,000 members, that would be five to six hundred 132+ IQs on the boards. I could certainly see an argument that the boards are not a representative sample, but to be such a hideously bad sample that 'few if any' were around stretches the imagintion.

95th percentile represents the area around the mean - you are actually looking at the top 2% - 1 in 49, actually.

Still, being online participating in a forum about a game that generally has an intellectually skewed population in the first place - statistics will be skewed.

Remove ads