• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mensans, reveal yourselves

Cedric

First Post
There has been such a stigma attached to IQ scores and societies like Mensa....that I don't feel comfortable sharing my IQ.

It's kind of funny actually...here we are talking about it, so it would be on topic. And yet, I just don't feel comfortable saying the number.

The truth is, I place very little stock in IQ scores. I think it falls short of measuring some much more important aspects of the human mind. (ability to function as part of a group, adapt to changes and new environments, reason out day to day problems, exist as a productive member of society, etc).

Also, not every IQ test is created equal. The base numbers for the WAIS-R and the Stanford-Binet are not the same.

Some tests have a genius level of 140, some 160, some 180.

The only way to fairly measure IQ (or as fair as possible), is to have a psychologist administered WAIS-R exam...of course, that's just my opinion and you have to be over 16 for that test to be accurate.

Cedric

Neo said:
So Ankh Morpork Guard, is there anything you want to tell us? :D

Not that I know of. :) I'm not actually sure WHICH IQ test I took that gave me that result. I do know, though, that my mother took the same test and got around a 210.

Of course, I've quickly learned that the smarter you are...the easier it is to foget common sense. :D

Oh...and Mark. That is the most hilarious thing I have seen in a very very long time. Rimshot, indeed. :cool:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Oh...and Mark. That is the most hilarious thing I have seen in a very very long time. Rimshot, indeed. :cool:

Danke.

And I second (third, whatever) those who question the validity of IQ tests. I remember years ago reading The Bell Curve. In the introduction, the authors explain various theories of intelligence and methods of measuring intelligence. They then say which theory and methods they prefer. But here's the catch.

At no point in time did the authors demonstrate that their pet theory is any more valid that other theories, or that their pet intelligence yard sticks are any more accurate than others.

IOW, vast tracts of IQ testing literature are based on unproven (unproveable?) premises. Sure, the IQ tests may be logical, the research logical, et cetera, but logical does not necessarily equal true.

So :p!

BVB

First Post
After perusing The Bell Curve, I visited several book stores in the metro area with the sole goal of hiding their stock of that title deep in the Never-Buy-Cheapo-$2 bin. Ridiculous piece of tripe.

hong

WotC's bitch
Cedric said:
There has been such a stigma attached to IQ scores and societies like Mensa....that I don't feel comfortable sharing my IQ.

Oh, come on. Mine is six inches. What's yours?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Gnarlo said:

Further wonder about the validity of testing when all the replies so far indicate a "Mensan" intelligence. Kinda reminds me of the (probably apocryphal) stories about the states where all the schools in the state reported their childrens' test scores as being "above average" :)

Bear in mind that most people aren't likely to publicise the fact that they measured as below-average intelligence (whatever that actually means). Only those who do well share their scores. ;)

orbitalfreak

First Post
Morrus said:

Bear in mind that most people aren't likely to publicise the fact that they measured as below-average intelligence (whatever that actually means). Only those who do well share their scores. ;)

/reads quote.
/notes lack of numerical score
/laughs to self

Hey, don't worry 'bout that! You play D&D. You know that a "20" is always good! :D
;)

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Morrus said:

Either that, or some of us are lying. :D

Remove ads