• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mensans, reveal yourselves

MarauderX

Explorer
Wicht said:

I have often wondered what the point is myself. Mensa has always struck me as the sort of thing people do just for the bragging rights.

Yup, and it'll cost ya to be a member each year. Not worth being part of the Capital M chapter, IMO.

And presently I am playing a Fighter2/Wizard1/Monk1 built mostly for high AC, saves, and feats, as his damage is next to nil.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
PA said:

I prefer naked chickens myself

http://www.lapc.cc.ca.us/usr/shapirls/naked_chicken.htm

But as for the whole Mensa thing I supose I could get in if I ever took any of the tests officialy, but then I could have gotten into college on my 8th grade SATs. Just because you can get in doesn't neccesarily make it a good idea. And as the saying goes I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that wuld have me as a member.

As for characters I try not to play the same thing twice, but I do tend more towards spellcasters.

[Edit: Just because I am smart doesn't mean I can type without typos]

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer
Qualified, refuse to join. :D Somewhere around 160, give or take a few points.

I'm currently running a Planescape campaign, and *MUAHAHA* perhaps this simply gives Planescape more of a reputation as a thinking mans game? Philosophy, belief, chaos versus law and not just good versus evil, and all the shades of grey in between.

Don't like Sigil or just can't handle it with your puny minds then go play in Union with your +10 swords of epic kewlness!

(mostly joking... mostly)

orbitalfreak

First Post
IQ around the 145 - 155 mark, for whatever that's worth. I know I'm an intelligent person, but there's thousands more out there who are as good as me or better. Bragging rights? Meh.

I tend to DM, but I see myself playing any number of characters. I could be the smooth-talking swashbuckling rogue who is hopelessly inept. I could be the studious, acerbic, megalomaniacal wizard. Right now, I've got an inkling to play a Mystic Theurge, just 'cuz it'd be cool to have scores* upon scores of spells to cast! I'm not too much into playing the hulking brute fighters.
<tangent>
*"score" as a number doesn't get used enough, does it? I guess everybody likes using "dozens" instead... </tangent>

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Shemeska said:
Qualified, refuse to join. :D Somewhere around 160, give or take a few points.

Ditto.

I'm insufferable enough without actually belonging to a club. Lord knows how much worse I'd be with an official Braniac decoder badge (or whatever it is Mensa gives its members). :D

ichabod

Legned
Re: Re: Re: Re: Mensans, reveal yourselves

Xeriar said:

95th percentile represents the area around the mean - you are actually looking at the top 2% - 1 in 49, actually.

No, the 95th percentile is the number that 95% of the population or sample is less than or equal to. You're either thinking of a 95% two-sided confidence interval or the 68-95-99.5 rule.

My IQ, for what its worth, tested out to be a 189. Sure, I could be in Mensa and all that...but...eh, I don't see the point. Besides, its discrimination...where's the organization for 'stupid' people? Or 'normal' people, hm? :D

I tend towards DMing myself...though playing is always a fun break from the work.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
My IQ, for what its worth, tested out to be a 189. Sure, I could be in Mensa and all that...but...eh, I don't see the point. Besides, its discrimination...where's the organization for 'stupid' people?

Answering your question with apologies in advance: Right here.

Rimshot, anyone?

:D

Neo

Explorer
Well there have been numerous studies done by the Education boards over here to see what the national averages are, in order to guage whether or nto certain areas were being provided better education or not.

The tests were split into age groups as your IQ rating varies by your age more than anything else.

It was found Men had an average score of 111, compared with 104 for women.

The average IQ is supposed to be between 90 and 110, and most participants of the studies turned out to be at the upper end of this range.
An IQ of 130+ would place you in the top 3% of the populace, and IQ of 125+ in the top 10%.

The west of England statistically appeared to be the smartest region, with an average of 115, followed by the east Midlands, then the south west and finally London.

It was also found that those with the highest IQ's of all were those out of work (obviously more time on their hands for cerebral things :) ).

As an aside

The man with the highest IQ in the world is a Ms Marilyn vos Savant according to the Guiness Book of Records who apparently has an IQ of 228. The second highest has an IQ of 189.

So Ankh Morpork Guard, is there anything you want to tell us? :D

Last edited:

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
Mensa always reminded me of the Eddie Murphy routine where a heckler in the audience asked him how big his... uh... greatsword was. Eddie said something along the lines of "Yeah, I'd heard you white guys measured your greatswords. Us black guys just look down and say 'The **** is big!' " :)

Further wonder about the validity of testing when all the replies so far indicate a "Mensan" intelligence. Kinda reminds me of the (probably apocryphal) stories about the states where all the schools in the state reported their childrens' test scores as being "above average" :)

As for me? "The **** is big!" :) And I usually DM; otherwise I lean toward gnome paladins.

Remove ads