• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MENTION processing breaks emails addresses

buzz

Adventurer
I reported this a year or so ago, but just wanted to say I still see it happening.

When I try and put an email address in a post, say using a mailto: in a URL tag, the "@" breaks it. The domain in the email is close enough to my username that I guest ENWorld sees it as a MENTION and then wraps BB tags around part of it and thus it fails to work.

Is there any way to force ENWorld not to process these MENTION inserts?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I reported the issue to the developers of the product months ago. Their reply? "Not a bug".

So I don't think we're ever going to see a fix for this one. But I do love the functionality; it's a compromise I think we're going to have to live with.

IronWolf

blank
The mention system is great, very useful to summon people to specific threads. A shame that it breaks some of the email addresses, but as some of the others have noted, it seems a worthy compromise to me.

I wonder if wrapping it in [code][/code] tags at least lets you type it out.

Code:
test[MENTION=6682766]test[/MENTION].com

or wrapping in

test[MENTION=6682766]test[/MENTION].com

helps...

EDIT: Wow, even wrapping in noparse tags didn't help.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's always the slightly inelegant "morrus AT hotmail DOT COM" approach. Not an ideal solution, but at least folks should understand it.

IronWolf

blank
Or when contained within certain BBCode tags.

Yep - that would work to - though not sure if everyone wraps an email address within BBCode tags.

I am more sysadminy than developer, but if someone wants to provide the code for the Mentions plug-in I could perhaps suggest a fix. Or maybe someone that is a developer could take a look. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to clean-up depending on how they are catching the @ sign.

Remove ads