Merchandise spoilers for Loki [SPOILERS!]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Seriously. Spoilers. As in future spoilers beyond the episodes currently broadcast. Future spoilers.

I'll start in the next post.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So this spoiler isn't super hidden, but 'Lady Loki' is actually The Enchantress, aka Sylvie Lushton.

But that's not what I want to talk about.

This is about a piece of merchandizing -- Loki helmet replicas you can buy.

9e9we0www313.jpg

But THAT's now what I wanted to talk about. I wanted to talk about the Certificate of Authenticity. I'll just leave this here:

9e9we0www3132.jpg

Certified inspired by? A lot of stuff I make is inspired by stuff. Should I be including certificates?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My guess is that's just to cover their legal butts in case someone complains that they're not 100% exact replicas or something.
I can't think of any law that requires you to issue a certificate with your product.

Bardic Dave

Adventurer
I can't think of any law that requires you to issue a certificate with your product.
I don’t think pukunui was implying there was. Here’s how I imagine it might have gone down:

“Let’s include a certificate of authenticity to bolster the perception that this prop replica is a rare and valuable collectible, thereby allowing us to charge a premium.”
“Sounds good, but let’s make sure we don’t certify anything that could get us in trouble, e.g. that this is an exact replica or anything like that.”

From there, it’s pretty easy to see how they might have landed on the marketing-speak abomination of “certified inspired by”.

Ryujin

Legend
Maybe being a bit pedantic (but what's new there), but mixing singular and plural on the "certificate of authenticity" is a bad look.

BRayne

Adventurer
There's this little tidbit in the episode itself apparently. It seems she is Loki in that she's the child of Laufey but is using a different name. One which may be more of an easter egg than anything else.
6844afae-ba65-49f8-8fca-c4b6a4812011-e4dqjqvwyagxwua.jpeg

Remove ads