Mercurial Greatsword

Richards

Legend
First off, I'd like to know where the idea for this weapon even spawned. Can anyone tell me? I've read my fair share of fantasy novels, and I do not recall a particular hero or villain using a mercurial weapon.
I believe the mercurial greatsword is the D&D equivalent of Terminus Est ("This is the line of division") , the sword used by Severian in Gene Wolfe's "Torturer" series (let me see if I can remember them all...Shadow of the Torturer, Claw of the Conciliator, Sword of the Lictor, Citidel of the Autarch, Urth of the New Sun - I think that's right). It's a fantastic series (in every sense of the word), taking place on an Earth some million years in the future, when civilization has fallen and risen several times over again. Severian is an apprentice torturer in the Guild of the Seekers for Truth and Penitence, ends up getting himself in trouble by feeling compassion for one of his "clients" (torture victims), and ends up becoming a journeyman, traveling the world. Highly recommended.

Johnathan

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Not sure when Wolfe wrote his books, but this has been a sports-tech trick for quite some time... :)

Yeoman

First Post
I've seen it in use a few times, as someone else mentioned it's not a great deal better than the scythe. Never seemed out of line for an exotic weapon to my group.

Brekki

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
It requries a seperate feat to learn how to use and the damage 2d6/x4 isn't much better than a scythe 2d4/x4. Basically, you're paying an extra 582gp and a feat for an average of 1hp/attack. Weapon Specialization will give you a flat +2hp/attack and scythes are a lot more common than weapons with mystery goo inside.

Actually it's a +2 to damage ... 2d6=7 average, 2d4=5 average ... a +2 to damage should be more expensive as 582 gp and a feat available for everyone.

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
Hmm, on further observation, I think I'm entitled to a second "Gah!"

Gah! Beaten to the punch by A2Z as well! (After posting my original response, I scrolled up and saw that Eric Noah had posted while I was typing up my response. I failed to scroll up further and see that A2Z had posted one as well.)

I guess I'm going to have to learn to type faster!

Johnathan

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
EricNoah said:
The idea, I believe, comes from Gene Wolfe's "Shadow of the Torturer" and the rest of that series. It's been a long time since I read it but I think the weapon was designed as a headsman's tool?

Yes, exactly. Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun" series is, indeed, where it's from. It was the tool of trade of a guild of executioners. The one we see a lot in the book belongs to the main character, Severian. The sword is named Terminus Est. It wasn't meant for combat, but Severian found it necessary to use it for combat many times.

I think it's an exotic idea for a weapon, and I enjoy using them in my campaign. They're very rare, and are artifacts of a long-lost empire, the "badge of office" of certain imperial representatives. The secret of their making is now forgotten.

Out of all the strange, exotic, magical things found in D&D, I don't see this type of sword as being all that strange.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Richards said:
Hmm, on further observation, I think I'm entitled to a second "Gah!"

Gah! Beaten to the punch by A2Z as well! (After posting my original response, I scrolled up and saw that Eric Noah had posted while I was typing up my response. I failed to scroll up further and see that A2Z had posted one as well.)

I guess I'm going to have to learn to type faster!

Johnathan

It's alright; I think we all provided some info about them, and affirmed that they were from those books for sure.

BVB

First Post
Even though the mercury is allegedly sealed within the sword, it's still possible for the darned thing to break and spill its precious cargo.
Mercury is an incredibly fine liquid, is it not? If there's even a smidgeon of a crack or crease in the construct, that metal is going to find its way out.

A year or so ago this weapon was discussed thoroughly on these boards, and those among us who had some engineering tech geek skills explained how hollowing a sword could be done -- and whether a few ounces of mercury would make much of a difference one way or another in the swinging momentum of a sword. At the very least, the smithing process would (realistically) make the sword more fragile and likely to break than a common sword design.

It's a silly concept anyway.

If the DM really wants to get rid of the thing, I'd suggest secretly planning a list of reasonable events that could be snuck into the adventure without triggering suspicion of malice. Don't push them into the situation obviously; blunt manipulation of characters is bound to backfire. But if you've got a list ready, the chance will present itself.

Someone already mentioned sundering, for example. So make sure they run into a really nasty villain who can put that action to best use. Have him break a few other weapons, too.

Sliding stone trap doors? Put the character(s) in a room or dead-end hallway with a panel slowly moving to close them in. They've got to stay in the room for some reason, but they want the opportunity to leave later (you work out the details). Would the fighter be willing to prop open the door with his special sword? ... Crack! Problem solved.

Robbery in the city? Take a bunch of stuff and fence it immediately. The sword will never turn up again. (Or maybe it will, in the hands of someone else.) Theft during the night at the inn? Same thing.

Toss 'em into a sea passage or over a waterfall -- belongings are forever lost into the murky depths. Even if they go diving later, some other creature has picked up the sword already.

Have a dragon sit on the darned thing. Whatever.

And when the original sword is gone and the guy wants to buy a new one, make it very, very difficult to find the materials, skills and time to forge a replacement. ...

(If you want to be really nasty about it, give the character mercury poisoning from the unnoticed contact with his skin over time.)

Remove ads