D&D 5E messy's 5e newbie questions thread

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
While I respect a DM's right to not approve house rules suggested by someone else, this is so reasonable that I'd consider a DM to be weirdly unreasonable not to allow it.

Personally, I wouldn't go for it. I think the idea that radiant is good/necrotic is evil as opposite sides of the coin is not really true. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to someone asking for a necrotic-themed alternative, but I wouldn't characterize it as something just any evil cleric would want/have access to because doing radiant damage with sacred flame implies some kind of draw upon the power of good.

77. is a dark elf's sunlight sensitivity only applicable in actual sunlight, or in the presence of magical light, too (such as a light, continual flame, or daylight spell)?

We just ignore that part of the drow heritage. My players are new enough that it's best to give them less to remember.

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
Plus you have massive penalties - disadvantage to any attack, saving throw or skill check based upon Strength or Dexterity.

So if you're building a prison for criminal mages, an effective way to suppress their abilities is to padlock them into suits of plate armour.
Ring mail. It's still heavy armour, but much, much cheaper.

Personally, I wouldn't go for it. I think the idea that radiant is good/necrotic is evil as opposite sides of the coin is not really true. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to someone asking for a necrotic-themed alternative, but I wouldn't characterize it as something just any evil cleric would want/have access to because doing radiant damage with sacred flame implies some kind of draw upon the power of good.

How about radiant damage that looks like some sort of dark emanation, rather than bright and shiny?

billd91

How about radiant damage that looks like some sort of dark emanation, rather than bright and shiny?

That seems perfectly reasonable to me. The different special effect could be dependent on the diety/portfoloio/moral outlook supplying the divine, radiant power.

messy

Explorer
80. do spells cast by monks, rangers, eldritch knights, arcane tricksters, or those gained by race or a feat require a spell casting focus?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
80. do spells cast by monks, rangers, eldritch knights, arcane tricksters, or those gained by race or a feat require a spell casting focus?
Spells never require a spellcasting focus. The benefit of a spellcasting focus is that you can use it in place of material components that don’t list a specific cost. Since rangers, arcane tricksters, and eldritch knights don’t have any features which allow them to use a spellcasting focus*, they must use the exact material components or a component pouch in order to cast spells with material components. Many class and race features, such as the Way of the Four Elements Monk, specify that the character can cast the spell without needing material components. These features do not require a component pouch, and would therefore gain no benefit from a spellcasting focus.

*except for slme optional variant features from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything.

13. why don't fear effects target charisma saves? one aspect of charisma is confidence, after all.

Because instead of spreading out the saving throws evenly to all 6 abilities, they decided to keep 3 "good" saves and 3 "weak" saves, where every character gets one of each. It's a carry over from 3E and 4E, and I personally feel it was a huge mistake.
It's a carry over from 3E but not from 4E though.

Back in 4E, Fortitude used the highest modifier between Constitution and Strength, Reflex was the highest between Dexterity and Intelligence and Will was the highest between Wisdom and Charisma.

Also, they were defenses, not saving throws.

delph

Explorer
81. Haste and rogue - can hastened rogue say: I use "haste action" as attack and my "normal attack" as a reaction "when he attacks me, I attack him" and get 2 sneak attacks this way?

82. Cleric of a grave - channel divinity - path to the grave. It gives vulnerability to the next attack. What about it's attacked by the type to which it has immunity. It got vulnerability, or it's just twice zero dmg?

billd91

81. Haste and rogue - can hastened rogue say: I use "haste action" as attack and my "normal attack" as a reaction "when he attacks me, I attack him" and get 2 sneak attacks this way?
Looks possible to me - at least theoretically. Of course, if that target realized he was hit much harder (ie sneak attacked) before, he's probably well advised to move out of sneak attackability before he attacked the rogue back.

82. Cleric of a grave - channel divinity - path to the grave. It gives vulnerability to the next attack. What about it's attacked by the type to which it has immunity. It got vulnerability, or it's just twice zero dmg?
PH 197 basically says resistance is applied before vulnerability. So I'd apply the immunity first and 2x0=0.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases