Metamorphosis: From Dretch to Demon Lord - Ascension Released!

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Another taste of book II

Hi all, I thought I would give you all another little preview of book 2. This time its a piece of art from Erik Nowak, who also did a lot fof the art in book 1. This illustration shows the final resting place of Pyrak. :]

Pyrak.jpg

That's really just the tip of the iceburg for art. Some of the stuff Hunter and Erik are producing for book II is simply breathtaking.

Well, back to writing. I'm halfway done with book III, and I'm still trying to decide which major character to kill off next. Kidding...maybe. :]

BD

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Daemon preview

Hey all, here's another little preview of the second book. This one's a bit meatier, however.

Since daemons are a major part of books two and three, I've had to get a bit creative since yugo..I mean daemons are not OGL. =] So, Ive created a number of daemonic races from whole cloth, and statted them up as brand new monsters. Book one features the bat-like azodaemons, and book two will feature the furtive cryptodaemons and sorcerous cacodaemons. There's even more new daemons for book three.

So, anyway, here a sneak peak at the cryptodaemon. Below is the full write-up for this new fiend. I've only given this one a quick proofreading (it hasn't been through the editor yet), so please forgive any errors you might find.

BD

Like a strange insectoid centaur, this creature combines a chitinous lower abdomen with a vaguely anthropomorphic upper body. Four multi-jointed arms jut from the segmented torso, each ending in a prehensile claw, and six spindly legs support the beetle-like lower body. The beast’s head vaguely resembles that of a praying mantis, although its mandibles are much longer, serrated, and drip a foul green fluid. A merciless intelligence gleams in each massive, multifaceted eye, and the creature has a decidedly fiendish cast.

Cryptodaemon CR 5
Always NE Medium Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar)
Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft; Listen +9, Spot +9
Languages Abyssal, Infernal, telepathy 100 ft.
Immune poison
Resist cold 10, fire 10, electricity 10; SR 13
Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +6
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +4; Grp +5
Attack Actions expert flanker, sneak attack +2d6
Special Actions hide in plain sight, poison, summon daemon
Combat Gear potion of cat’s grace, potion of sneak
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 8th)
3/day – invisibility, silence (DC 14)
1/day – greater magic weapon
Skills Balance +6, Bluff +9, Climb +16, Diplomacy +4, Disguise +2 (+4 acting), Jump +10, Intimidate +4, Hide +15, Listen +9, Move Silently +15, Search +8, Spot +9, Survival +2 (+4 following tracks), Tumble +13
Possessions combat gear plus 4 cold iron short swords, masterwork leather armor, masterwork light crossbow, 20 bolts
Advancement 5-8 (Medium); 9-12 (Large)
Expert Flanker (Ex): Cryptodaemons are quite adept at attacking foes from surprise or from behind. When flanking, a cryptodaemon gains a +3 to hit, and any weapon or natural attack it uses while flanking is considered to have the keen weapon special ability, doubling its critical threat range.
Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A cryptodaemon can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as it is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, the daemon can hide itself from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind.
Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 13, initial damage 1d4 Dex, secondary damage 1d4 Dex. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Sneak Attack (Ex): A cryptodaemon can make a sneak attack like a rogue, dealing an extra 2d6 points of damage whenever a foe is denied his or her Dexterity bonus, or when the cryptodaemon is flanking.
Summon Daemon (Sp): Once per day, a cryptodaemon can attempt to summon another cryptodaemon with a 30% chance of success. This is the equivalent of a 2nd-level spell.
Skills: Cryptodaemons have a +4 racial bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks. A cryptodaemon has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Cryptodaemons are minor fiends native to the planes of Gehenna and Hades. They often act as scouts and spies in the service of more powerful fiends, or in the eternal conflict between the Abyss and the Nine Hells.

Strategies and Tactics

Cryptodaemons always operate in groups of three or more, using group tactics such as flanking and even grappling to neutralize opponents. They are most often employed as spies and assassins, and most cryptodaemons will avoid a pitched battle if it endangers their mission.

Furtive and underhanded, cryptodaemons prefer to attack with the element of surprise. A cryptodaemon typically opens combat from the safety of an invisibility spell, hoping to catch an opponent unaware. Groups of cryptodaemons flank their foes, making excellent use of their five attacks augmented with sneak attack damage. Against tougher foes, a cryptodaemon uses greater magic weapon to improve its chances of hitting a target, and bite attacks to weaken and erode an enemy’s combat effectiveness.

Moat cryptodaemons carry light crossbows or shortbows in addition to their short swords, and do not hesitate to pepper an enemy with missile fire if the opportunity arises.

Sample Encounter

Cryptodaemons are often encountered in groups of between 3 and 6 individuals. These small squads are employed on assassination missions, especially against weaker mortals that have angered more powerful daemons. Additionally, cryptodaemon squads serve as mercenary scouts and spies in both the Infernal and Abyssal armies.
Cryptodaemon Assassination Squad (EL 8): This assassination squad consists of four cryptodaemons, each well versed in the tactics of ambush and murder. This squad has worked together before and is familiar enough with one another’s tactics that they can operate easily as a single, cohesive enemy.

Ecology

Cryptodaemons are one of the older races of daemon-kind, and are one of the most commonly encountered away from the lower planes. Neutral evil petitioners that have served the cause of true evil in life are sometimes made into cryptodaemons as a reward for their service.

Unlike many daemons, which must be created from the soul stuff of mortal petitioners, cryptodaemons can reproduce naturally. Each cryptodaemon is asexual and once every 7 years can lay a clutch of up to a dozen small, leathery eggs. These eggs are guarded closely by the parent cryptodaemon until they hatch, at which point the newly birthed daemons are left to fend for themselves. The ability to reproduce in this manner allows for huge numbers of the lesser fiends, and they can be found in massive hordes upon the planes of Gehenna and Hades.
Environment: Cryptodaemons are native to both Gehenna and Hades, and like most daemons, can also be found in the Nine Hells and the Abyss serving as mercenaries in the eternal conflict between demon and devil. In addition, cryptodaemons are often sent to the Prime Material Plane to deal with mortals that have offended powerful daemon lords.
Physical Characteristics: An average cryptodaemon stands a bit over 5 feet in height and is roughly 7 feet long. It is light for its size, and weighs just over 100 pounds. Cryptodaemons are a mottled green in color, with black claws and mandibles.

Society

Cryptodaemons are very social daemons and get along well with one another. They share a limited group mind, which allows for instant communication between individuals, and makes them more effective in combat. Cryptodaemons value stealth over brawn, and their leaders are typically individuals with rogue and/or assassin levels.

The most important aspect of cryptodaemon life is the ghoroka, the small squad that every cryptodaemon seeks to be a part of. Each ghoroka consists of between 3 and 6 members, and each focuses on a certain task, usually scouting or assassination. The ghoroka is led by the most skilled member of the group, usually an advanced cryptodaemon or one with rogue or assassin levels.

Cryptodaemons measure their status and worth by the ghoroka they belong to, and there is no greater shame in cryptodaemon society than to be cast out of one’s ghoroka. Individual cryptodaemons will quickly go mad and become suicidal if they are unable to join another ghoroka within a few weeks.

Typical Treasure

Cryptodaemons value magical items that enhance stealth or agility, and most of their individual items will be potions of sneak and cat’s grace, or occasionally, a minor magical item, such as a cloak of elvenkind. Cryptodaemons have standard treasure for the CR, or about 1,200 gp.

For Player Characters

A cryptodaemon can be summoned with a summon monster V or a higher level summon monster spell. Spellcasters summoning cryptodaemons typically cast summon monster VI or summon monster VII to gain two or more of the lesser fiends, as they are more effective in small groups. Treat a cryptodaemon as if it were on the 5th-level list of the Summon Monster table in the PHB.

Cryptodaemons with Class Levels

A cryptodaemon’s favored class is rogue, and more powerful individuals will often take levels in assassin as well. Cryptodaemons occasionally become clerics of whatever daemon lord they serve, strengthening their ghoroka with divine magic. A cryptodaemon cleric has access to the death, darkness, and evil domains.
Spell Resistance: A cryptodaemon has spell resistance equal to 13 + 1 per class level.
Level Adjustment: +4

Last edited:

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Hey guys,

I just wanted to point out that the deluxe version of the first book, the one with all the stats, art, and extras, is on sale (along with everything else) for 1.99. So, if you were wondering about all the stats and backgrounds for all the characters, but didn't want to shell out the 12.99 for the deluxe book, this is great opportunity for you. I think the 1.99 is well worth the 40 extra pages of material, plus all the art, even if you already own the novel version.

So check it out: Death of a Demon Lord: Deluxe Version

BD

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
BLACKDIRGE said:
Hey guys,

I just wanted to point out that the deluxe version of the first book, the one with all the stats, art, and extras, is on sale (along with everything else) for 1.99. So, if you were wondering about all the stats and backgrounds for all the characters, but didn't want to shell out the 12.99 for the deluxe book, this is great opportunity for you. I think the 1.99 is well worth the 40 extra pages of material, plus all the art, even if you already own the novel version.

So check it out: Death of a Demon Lord: Deluxe Version

BD

Ordered, just need to download it. Thanks, um, you have a lot more stuff out, than I knew about. is there a mailing list or something?

GW

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Graywolf-ELM said:
Ordered, just need to download it. Thanks, um, you have a lot more stuff out, than I knew about. is there a mailing list or something?

GW

Yeah, I've been sending out release announcements and coupons. I'm sorry, I assumed you were on the list. Do you have the "no vendor mail" option checked at RPGNOW? That's how I compile my mailing list, from past customers. Just shoot me an email and I'll add you.

BD

Remove ads