• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Midnight - Crown of Shadow

Tokiwong

First Post
Ilsha fell in with the rest of the crowd, masking her emotions as best as she could, there was little she could do for her uncle, and to risk the village for one life, was not something she wanted to be the cause of. She fell in next to a enighbor, and watched as the Legate cointinues his speech, not sure what has transpired, or how, but it was only going to get worse before it got better.

G

Guest 11456

Choric moved up and took a position in the rear of the crowd. He tried to get closer so that he could tell what was going on.

Shadowfane

First Post
Her heart hammering hard in her chest, Tamari moved surreptitiously through the crowd, keeping her spear well hidden, wrapped in her cloak so as it appears as a bundle of sticks or some-such. She stopped near the wall of a building in view of the proceedings, but afforded an easier route of escape and place to hide her spear if it looked like the legates’ orcs were approaching.

Searching the crowd for Ilsha, Tamari’s heart went out to the girl whose uncle now knelt in the clutches of the black priests. She also looked anxiously for her own family, knowing it unlikely her sick mother would be outside. As the dark one called Sirifai Caleborn spoke a cold sense of dread crept down Tamari’s spine.

Emiricol

Elig melted into the back of the crowd as well. He tried to coverty look around and locate the most immediate threats to his well being, tried to keep tabs on his friends, and tried to spy out the best escape path if things get out of control, but it was a lot to keep track of.

But mostly Elig wished fervently that there was some way he could help the poor girl...

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
"One among you is a breaker of the Black Commandments," Sirifai continued. "One among you dares wield the arcane without the blessing of the One God!"

He paused a moment to listen to the low rumble of murmurs and exclamations that rippled through the gathered crowd.

"A witch walks among you, having arrived here a few months ago. She will be punished for her crimes against the Shadow and those who harbor her will also be punished as well."

"Give over the witch...," he said with a cold grin, "...and all shall be forgiven."

Choric caught the sight of Char out of the corner of his eye. She was watching the scene from the porch of the town's small inn. Her face was a grim mask of sorrow and fear, but she did not move.

Last edited:

Tokiwong

First Post
Ilsha shifts slightly, she looks around, and then looks forward, running thoughts through her mind, I wonder who it could be, if they are exposed, perhaps they will leave, but then, they may die! But then we could all die, the Shadow knows no mercy, only justice. Perhaps it is me, but I am barely ready to cast a spell, let alone be a witch....

Ilsha wrings her hands, and mutters, "Damn that witch..." trying to keep her voice low, and looking around to see what the others do.

G

Guest 11456

Choric tries to keep his eyes away from the porch. He did not want to give away his mentor. He continued to watch the crowd, but he also began counting the number of orcs. If it came down to a fight, he wanted to know what he was up against. (Hmmm. Two legates and a wolf. I wonder about the wolf.) If he could make it through the day, perhaps he could sneak Char out of town. But if he did that he would most likely have to leave as well. He knew if there was trouble that the legates would just as soon kill everyone in town as to let them go. He must somehow get them away from the town, but how?

He snaps back to the here and now and tries to stay alert.

Swashbuckler

First Post
I ... have ... returned! :)

Kal had run along and caught up with everyone else, the telling plumes of smoke coming from his town causing him to completely disregard the incident at the farm.

Arriving in town with the others, he finally caught sight of his parents. Seeing them in the hands of the orcs made his blood boil! He reflexively grasped his mace tight ... but then he understood he'd be condemning not only himself, indeed, not only himself and his family, but the whole town to death if he attacked the orcs.

The legate was bantering and posturing and accusing someone in town of magic-use. It was a fair-sized town, so Kal didn't rule out that someone there might be practiced in that art. He just couldn't believe that this was happening.

With one last glance to his parents, who were both being held while they searched the shop and forge, Kal turned to look at Choric, his official 'boss'. The look on Kal's face spoke volumes without a word; if it came down to it, he'd do his part to kill every last stinking servant of the Shadow that was here.

Looking back to the legates and their animal companions, he listened to their words with apprehension, but not fear. These were some of the most vile, fiendish men that had ever lived. To sign on and honestly serve the Shadow ... A cold shiver ran down Kal's spine. Twisted and evil ... someone, one day, has got to do something about it! Kal's emotions fumed inside, but outwardly, he appreared calm. Maybe that someone should be me.

He bode his time, keeping his mace handy, and staying close to Choric, just in case something broke out. He also kept a close eye on the events traspiring at the Blacksmithy, where his parents were being searched, as was their home ...
-----------------------------------------

OoC: Apologies ... the site ran like a dinosaur last night when I tried posting. It never showed my message, so I tried re-posting it, etc.

Now, of course, it won't allow me to 'delete' the extra messages! <insert massive grumbling>

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads