D&D 5E Midnight: Legacy of Darkness announced at GenCon Online

After more than a decade out of print, the "what if Sauron won" 3E setting Midnight is coming back in 2021 for 5E as Midnight: Legacy of Darkness, Edge Entertainment announced Thursday, July 30, at GenCon Online:

In its heyday, Midnight was one of the biggest RPG successes in Fantasy Flight's history. The setting went through two editions and was published from 2003 through 2009.

Earlier this year, Fantasy Flight Games announced they were getting out of the RPG business and their games were going to be handled by Edge Entertainment, which is at least partially staffed by former FFG designers.

Last edited:

Von Ether

Legend
Hmmm. It might even be a better fit for 5e. My only irksome thought is how FFG treats the ttRPG market. On one hand, I get that it's a business and they've played it smart.

OTH, I don't like their lack of commitment to the industry, jumping in and out over the years.

R_J_K75

Legend
There was so much 3PP material for 3E, some better than others, wading through the garbage was pretty tough to get to the good stuff. After awhile I just stopped browsing the new releases unless there was something that I specifically wanted. Unfortunately this is one I missed and sounds pretty interesting, I'll probably have to keep my eye in this and possibly pick it up when it comes out. There's no release date other than 2021 correct?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
There was so much 3PP material for 3E, some better than others, wading through the garbage was pretty tough to get to the good stuff. After awhile I just stopped browsing the new releases unless there was something that I specifically wanted. Unfortunately this is one I missed and sounds pretty interesting, I'll probably have to keep my eye in this and possibly pick it up when it comes out. There's no release date other than 2021 correct?
I didn't own it, either, but two editions and more than a half-dozen supplements back in the day suggests it was pretty successful. It certainly had a great reputation.

And no, I didn't hear or see anything about when they're going to release it, but I'd expect a formal press release from Edge next week.

R_J_K75

Legend
I didn't own it, either, but two editions and more than a half-dozen supplements back in the day suggests it was pretty successful. It certainly had a great reputation.

According to Wikipedia it had 2 movies under the IP, probably straight to video or a USA Network release. I wonder if they are worth tracking down and watching?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases