D&D 5E Midnight: Legacy of Darkness announced at GenCon Online

After more than a decade out of print, the "what if Sauron won" 3E setting Midnight is coming back in 2021 for 5E as Midnight: Legacy of Darkness, Edge Entertainment announced Thursday, July 30, at GenCon Online: In its heyday, Midnight was one of the biggest RPG successes in Fantasy Flight's history. The setting went through two editions and was published from 2003 through 2009. Earlier...

After more than a decade out of print, the "what if Sauron won" 3E setting Midnight is coming back in 2021 for 5E as Midnight: Legacy of Darkness, Edge Entertainment announced Thursday, July 30, at GenCon Online:

In its heyday, Midnight was one of the biggest RPG successes in Fantasy Flight's history. The setting went through two editions and was published from 2003 through 2009.

Earlier this year, Fantasy Flight Games announced they were getting out of the RPG business and their games were going to be handled by Edge Entertainment, which is at least partially staffed by former FFG designers.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
So excited for this! I have every printed Midnight product across both editions, and was sorely disappointed when the next products were canceled.

A sensitivity disclaimer is going to be especially necessary, with regards to the issues it brings up. Prejudice is prevalent in the setting, and rightfully so. The world has lost to true Evil, and those themes should not be toned down. It will be a difficult balance though, in its presentation.

R_J_K75

Legend
A sensitivity disclaimer is going to be especially necessary, with regards to the issues it brings up. Prejudice is prevalent in the setting, and rightfully so. The world has lost to true Evil, and those themes should not be toned down. It will be a difficult balance though, in its presentation.

Never played in the setting but from what I read about it today it sounds like its a very unique setting where prejudice and evil run rampant. Removing these or toning them down wouldn't do the setting justice so they most likely need to be left in tact. A disclaimer should be enough warning for buyers, no apology necessary.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
As the creator of Midnight, this is exciting and unexpected news! I'd also like to apologize to their apparently already beleaguered sensitivity readers. :oops:

Hey Greg, good to see you. :)

Echoing both things you said. This was a happy surprise yesterday, and everyone's enthusiastic responses made me smile. :)

Also, we were reading through the 1e core book last night and I said "man I cannot believe the horrific things in this book." It's not like gross-out or demonic horror, it's the horror of real human suffering coming through on almost every page. Glad to see it getting a re-release!

Remove ads

Remove ads