D&D 5E Midnight: Legacy of Darkness announced at GenCon Online

After more than a decade out of print, the "what if Sauron won" 3E setting Midnight is coming back in 2021 for 5E as Midnight: Legacy of Darkness, Edge Entertainment announced Thursday, July 30, at GenCon Online: In its heyday, Midnight was one of the biggest RPG successes in Fantasy Flight's history. The setting went through two editions and was published from 2003 through 2009. Earlier...

After more than a decade out of print, the "what if Sauron won" 3E setting Midnight is coming back in 2021 for 5E as Midnight: Legacy of Darkness, Edge Entertainment announced Thursday, July 30, at GenCon Online:

In its heyday, Midnight was one of the biggest RPG successes in Fantasy Flight's history. The setting went through two editions and was published from 2003 through 2009.

Earlier this year, Fantasy Flight Games announced they were getting out of the RPG business and their games were going to be handled by Edge Entertainment, which is at least partially staffed by former FFG designers.

stadi

Explorer
Were there any adventures / campaigns for the previous editions? Nowadays I only buy RPGs that come with complete campaigns. As far as I know recent FFG RPGs are not like this. They release some adventures later, but not big complete campaigns, don't they?

The only official adventures for the Midnight setting in the 3.0/3.5 era were, as far as I recall, the short ones included in the setting book and Crown of Shadows (for 3.0).

Any comment on whether it will be a Kickstarter or is just being produced up front. Just curious because if it is kickstarted in 2021 we won’t likely see it until 2022.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Were there any adventures / campaigns for the previous editions? Nowadays I only buy RPGs that come with complete campaigns. As far as I know recent FFG RPGs are not like this. They release some adventures later, but not big complete campaigns, don't they?

There were one or two independently produced adventures, but the box set Fury of Shadow may be more like what you're looking for. Here's a review and breakdown: DriveThruRPG.com - Midnight: Fury of Shadow Reviews

stadi

Explorer
There were one or two independently produced adventures, but the box set Fury of Shadow may be more like what you're looking for. Here's a review and breakdown: DriveThruRPG.com - Midnight: Fury of Shadow Reviews

This doesn't seem to be a campaign, not even a real adventure. From the review on DTRPG: "Chapter 7 provides general adventure ideas in Erethor for both good or evil parties, and three short encounters taking advantage of the various areas described in the book."

Omega9999

Carnyfex Dynastarum
The setting itself is already great.. What it just needs is more material on creating adventures. What they need to get right is the rules part. in 3e they added a lot of special rules, and while I'm sure many of them will be present in the 5e version, i think many of them would be a bit too much nowadays.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads