D&D 5E Midnight: Legacy of Darkness announced at GenCon Online

After more than a decade out of print, the "what if Sauron won" 3E setting Midnight is coming back in 2021 for 5E as Midnight: Legacy of Darkness, Edge Entertainment announced Thursday, July 30, at GenCon Online: In its heyday, Midnight was one of the biggest RPG successes in Fantasy Flight's history. The setting went through two editions and was published from 2003 through 2009. Earlier...

After more than a decade out of print, the "what if Sauron won" 3E setting Midnight is coming back in 2021 for 5E as Midnight: Legacy of Darkness, Edge Entertainment announced Thursday, July 30, at GenCon Online:

In its heyday, Midnight was one of the biggest RPG successes in Fantasy Flight's history. The setting went through two editions and was published from 2003 through 2009.

Earlier this year, Fantasy Flight Games announced they were getting out of the RPG business and their games were going to be handled by Edge Entertainment, which is at least partially staffed by former FFG designers.

Heroic Paths, which were a sort of template you added to your character that granted special abilities at certain character levels. Also, spellcasting was changed to a spell point system, with a base Channeler class, and the other spellcasting classes (Bard, Druid, Wizard) were prestige classes for it.

Omega9999

Carnyfex Dynastarum
They also added 2 classes, the wildlander who is basically a spell-less ranger and the defender (hate that name) which is a non-mystical monk. I think both of them should be brought back, even if I would change the defender's name and flavour.

Omega9999

Carnyfex Dynastarum
TBH Midnight gave the chance to play orcs in such a setting in 2000, before all this. So I think it's fine :)
Also orcs in Midnight, as in LOTR are basically the dark lord's chosen race... so well.. it's heroic fantasy in an age of shadow. If your game can't bear the oppresive evil of Eredane, Midnight is probably not the right setting for you

dracomilan

Explorer
I watched the 'Midnight Chronicles' movie on Amazon Prime Video and was frankly terrible. You may pass the movies.
The settimg instead is something that always inspired me, so I'm glad it will be back

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Also, spellcasting was changed to a spell point system, with a base Channeler class, and the other spellcasting classes (Bard, Druid, Wizard) were prestige classes for it.

The legate class, as I recall, was basically the cleric class with one or two changes. What was most notable was that legates were able to use actually Vancian spellcasting for their clerical spells, which gave them an advantage over characters using the spell-point system. Of course, the legates were all worshipers of Izrador, which meant they had to be neutral or evil, and with the blood sacrifices required to advance, I doubt the neutral legates stayed neutral for very long.

Omega9999

Carnyfex Dynastarum
The legate class, as I recall, was basically the cleric class with one or two changes. What was most notable was that legates were able to use actually Vancian spellcasting for their clerical spells, which gave them an advantage over characters using the spell-point system. Of course, the legates were all worshipers of Izrador, which meant they had to be neutral or evil, and with the blood sacrifices required to advance, I doubt the neutral legates stayed neutral for very long.
Yeah, legates were mostly npcs tho.. the absence of clerics in 3.5 parties was felt a lot.

R_J_K75

Legend
I was able to pick up the 1st and 2nd editions of the campaign settings off ebay for really cheap. Can anyone who is familiar with the 2 books give me an opinion on which one to read, what's different? I'm assuming the 2nd edition contains what's in the 1st edition but with additions? Is there any real difference between the two books besides maybe minor tweaks to accommodate the transition from 3.0 to 3.5? I'll probably eventually read them both but I want to make characters with my players so I need to do some preparation to make PCs for the setting in the immediate future.

Remove ads

Remove ads