Midway Mining Expedition (PbP)


log in or register to remove this ad

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
Once his head clears a bit more, Bjorn walks over and actually kicks the fallen Deviard. Feeling better about himself, he asks his new friends what they think should be done about the body. "Should we just toss it over the incline, here, and leave it for the vultures. I have no problem with that, especially after collecting his belongings."
OOC: 44
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Coldtree searches the body.
... Bjorn walks... kicks... asks...
Coldtree relieves the enemy of his obvious equipment first, tossing the hammer and metal shield over to Bjorn to see if he might want them. His thin leather shirt appears to be nothing special and not worth the effort to remove. While his utility belt does not look like much, it does contain several items of interest.

Other than the usual food stuff that every traveler would carry, there is a bright, red, opaque stone with streaks of semi-translucent yellow running through it, a translucent, yellow and orange stone, and an opaque green stone with flecks of semi-translucent lighter green. He also has three ingots of some dark, iridescent, slightly soft metal.

Once Coldtree has finished, Tehn answers Bjorn. "I have no problem with bleeding him and tossing him aside."

It takes all three men to complete the task, but it is done.
Coldtree: full wellness
Harnin arrows: 17
Tunic: 52
Tehn: full wellness
Saber: 20 - 3 = 17
Tunic: 52
Bjorn: full wellness
Currency:
Standard Earnings: 360 shillings / 10 days
Shillings: 437
Harnin Bucklers: 2
Harnin Hammers: 12

Animal Parts:
Ant Pinchers: 5, (Cohesion +1)
Ant Stingers: 1, {Toxin x2}
Beetle Elytra: 5 pair (deflect 4, soak 2)
Coot Feathers: 1 set, (Cohesion +1)
Goat Beard Talisman: {Will +2}
Greenjay Feather Talisman: ??
Harvester Feather Talisman: 1, (Health +1)
Porcupine Quill: 1, {Cohesion +2}, (toxicity x 3)
Roadrunner Feather Talisman: 2: ??

Ores:
Aluminum: 4, (Motility +2), {Shock x3}
Tin: 1, (Persona +1), {- Mind x 2}
Zinc: 7, (Health +1), {+ Body x 2}
Whitish Metal: 4, ??

Plants:
Berserker Flowers: 1 measure, {+ Strength x2 / - Mind x3}
Dried Flowers: 2: ??
Mend Leaves: 3 measures, {Restore x 2}

Stone:
Bloodstone: 1, {Health +1}
Coal: 1, (heat x3)
Emberstone: 1, {Confluence +2}
Flint: 1, (Shock x2)
Heartstone: 1, {Confluence +1}
Lodestone: 9, (shock x 3)
Milkstone: 1, {Will +2}
Slate: 3, {Sound x2}
Slickstone: 4, {Frostbite x3}

Oddities:
nothing here
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State intentions. Provide a random roll.
 

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
Bjorn sees that the hammer and shield are better than his own and gratefully takes them. While finishing the necessities of battle and breaking camp he will engage the other two in simple conversation so that he can learn more Orngaddrin, the common language among the three, though not the native language of any.
OOC: 87
 

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Coldtree says in Orngaddrin, "If this man was well known among the Deviard, they might recognize his hammer and shield. If they do we might be able to use it to our advantage. I am ready to move on if you are."
88
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Bjorn sees... will engage...
Coldtree says...
Not having thought any such thing about the hammer or shield, Bjorn notices and displays for the others that the shield and hammer are both marked with an equilateral triangle with the tip pointed down. The symbol on the shield is very obvious. The hammer was not, so much, as the symbol is on the side. It is unclear what the symbol represents, but the idea of Coldtree that it might be recognized is sound.
Coldtree: 26(observation) + 46(improved hearing) + 88(d100) = 160
Lunnaya: 33 + 33(tuning) + 87 = 153
Bjorn: 41 + 31(improved vision) + 87 = 159
Following the same game trail the deceased Deviard had taken, the DWAC members make short work of the morning walk, eager, possibly, for further confrontation. Seeing no one else, the three men divert to a trail that leads to a higher elevation, a place that was previously used as a vantage point to survey the Deviard encampment.

Activity appears to have increased with those who remain, but the decrease in such few numbers is notable. As the evening wanes, a scout party returns with a few new slaves. They are reddish skinned Mhytres who look to be rather rudimentary in function.

Bjorn confirms that they are of the Medderin tribe, hostile and simple. He confers that they should make lousy slaves because of their simplicity. This indicates two positives for the three men. The Deviard are definitely suffering from the loss of just a single mining crew, they are not being very successful in recovering from that loss.

Without the return of the second mining crew, it is surmised that it may still be out at the mine where the first crew was killed. Even with the lesser number, there still appears to be too many Deviard for a frontal assault on the encampment.
Coldtree: full wellness
Harnin arrows: 17
Tunic: 52
Tehn: full wellness
Saber: 20 - 3 = 17
Tunic: 52
Bjorn: full wellness
Currency:
Standard Earnings: 360 shillings / 10 days
Shillings: 437
Harnin Bucklers: 2
Harnin Hammers: 12

Animal Parts:
Ant Pinchers: 5, (Cohesion +1)
Ant Stingers: 1, {Toxin x2}
Beetle Elytra: 5 pair (deflect 4, soak 2)
Coot Feathers: 1 set, (Cohesion +1)
Goat Beard Talisman: {Will +2}
Greenjay Feather Talisman: ??
Harvester Feather Talisman: 1, (Health +1)
Porcupine Quill: 1, {Cohesion +2}, (toxicity x 3)
Roadrunner Feather Talisman: 2: ??

Ores:
Aluminum: 4, (Motility +2), {Shock x3}
Tin: 1, (Persona +1), {- Mind x 2}
Zinc: 7, (Health +1), {+ Body x 2}
Whitish Metal: 4, ??

Plants:
Berserker Flowers: 1 measure, {+ Strength x2 / - Mind x3}
Dried Flowers: 2: ??
Mend Leaves: 3 measures, {Restore x 2}

Stone:
Bloodstone: 1, {Health +1}
Coal: 1, (heat x3)
Emberstone: 1, {Confluence +2}
Flint: 1, (Shock x2)
Heartstone: 1, {Confluence +1}
Lodestone: 9, (shock x 3)
Milkstone: 1, {Will +2}
Slate: 3, {Sound x2}
Slickstone: 4, {Frostbite x3}

Oddities:
nothing here
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State intentions. Provide a random roll.
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Coldtree says, "If we attack the miners again, they might be ready for us. Let us see if we can find something else to interfere with." He takes a close look at the camp, searching for another valuable target.
50
 


MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Coldtree says...
Bjorn listens... replies...
Coldtree: 25(perception) + 50(d100) = 75
Lunnaya: 42 + 58 = 100
Bjorn: 32 + 65 = 97
Unfortunately, the party has to bear the patience of several days of waiting before Lunnaya is the one to point out movement on a ridge farther north. It does indeed appear to be a party of Deviards. It takes another day of careful movement to close the distance. Finally what is realized is that the small group of enemies are moving relatively short distances from the main encampment to check snares and traps for small game.

A third day is taken to relocate even farther north of this activity in order to establish a possible ambush. There are six Deviards in the hunting party, 3 males and 3 females. They appear to be slightly younger than any of the three men. It is suspected that they will be less formidable than those previously engaged.

This suspicion proves true. The six youths are no challenge. Two are killed, and the other four either incapacitated or rendered unconscious in a matter of seconds. The assault was so effective, it seems extremely unlikely that anyone remaining in the encampment would have heard any sound to warrant attention.
GM: What is to be done with the remaining casualties and what is the next plan?

Coldtree: full wellness
Harnin arrows: 17
Tunic: 52
Tehn: full wellness
Saber: 20 - 3 = 17
Tunic: 52
Bjorn: full wellness
Currency:
Standard Earnings: 360 shillings / 10 days
Shillings: 437
Harnin Bucklers: 2
Harnin Hammers: 12

Animal Parts:
Ant Pinchers: 5, (Cohesion +1)
Ant Stingers: 1, {Toxin x2}
Beetle Elytra: 5 pair (deflect 4, soak 2)
Coot Feathers: 1 set, (Cohesion +1)
Goat Beard Talisman: {Will +2}
Greenjay Feather Talisman: ??
Harvester Feather Talisman: 1, (Health +1)
Porcupine Quill: 1, {Cohesion +2}, (toxicity x 3)
Roadrunner Feather Talisman: 2: ??

Ores:
Aluminum: 4, (Motility +2), {Shock x3}
Tin: 1, (Persona +1), {- Mind x 2}
Zinc: 7, (Health +1), {+ Body x 2}
Whitish Metal: 4, ??

Plants:
Berserker Flowers: 1 measure, {+ Strength x2 / - Mind x3}
Dried Flowers: 2: ??
Mend Leaves: 3 measures, {Restore x 2}

Stone:
Bloodstone: 1, {Health +1}
Coal: 1, (heat x3)
Emberstone: 1, {Confluence +2}
Flint: 1, (Shock x2)
Heartstone: 1, {Confluence +1}
Lodestone: 9, (shock x 3)
Milkstone: 1, {Will +2}
Slate: 3, {Sound x2}
Slickstone: 4, {Frostbite x3}

Oddities:
nothing here
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State intentions. Provide a random roll.
 

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Coldtree says, "Rather than simply killing these youths, perhaps we could use them. Let us see if we can implant a lie in their mind."
With the cooperation of his companions, he attempts to invade the minds of the Deviards and impant a vision of a multitude of enemies that attacked. If the image holds, they will release them to return to their village to spread the misinformation.
94(+33)=127
 

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
Bjorn likes the idea. He nods at Coldtree. "I never considered attempting such. I know that I can project a thought but, I do not know how effectively. It is worth a try. At worst, we back to option one, which is combat."
OOC: 88
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Coldtree says... attempts...
Bjorn likes... nods...
Coldtree: 30(coerce) + 36(muddle) + 127 = 193
Tehn: 45 + 24(muddle) + 107 = 176
Bjorn: 52 + 42(charm) + 88 = 182
Perhaps some form of chance plays into the effort, but the attempted suggestion seems immensely effective. The survivors demonstrate expressions of something akin to terror, as they are freed and released to run. Run they do, as hard and fast as they can. The party had nothing more to do than wait to determine the effectiveness of any results.

The following day, it appears as if the Deviard are intending to launch a significant offensive. The remaining mining crew is not sent back out. It looks as if the entire clan is arming and forming ranks. By mid morning, the entire force should reach the current location of the party. That force is too numerous and looks far too formidable for any direct approach.
Coldtree: full wellness
Harnin arrows: 17
Tunic: 52
Tehn: full wellness
Saber: 20 - 3 = 17
Tunic: 52
Bjorn: full wellness
Currency:
Standard Earnings: 360 shillings / 10 days
Shillings: 437
Harnin Bucklers: 2
Harnin Hammers: 12

Animal Parts:
Ant Pinchers: 5, (Cohesion +1)
Ant Stingers: 1, {Toxin x2}
Beetle Elytra: 5 pair (deflect 4, soak 2)
Coot Feathers: 1 set, (Cohesion +1)
Goat Beard Talisman: {Will +2}
Greenjay Feather Talisman: ??
Harvester Feather Talisman: 1, (Health +1)
Porcupine Quill: 1, {Cohesion +2}, (toxicity x 3)
Roadrunner Feather Talisman: 2: ??

Ores:
Aluminum: 4, (Motility +2), {Shock x3}
Tin: 1, (Persona +1), {- Mind x 2}
Zinc: 7, (Health +1), {+ Body x 2}
Whitish Metal: 4, ??

Plants:
Berserker Flowers: 1 measure, {+ Strength x2 / - Mind x3}
Dried Flowers: 2: ??
Mend Leaves: 3 measures, {Restore x 2}

Stone:
Bloodstone: 1, {Health +1}
Coal: 1, (heat x3)
Emberstone: 1, {Confluence +2}
Flint: 1, (Shock x2)
Heartstone: 1, {Confluence +1}
Lodestone: 9, (shock x 3)
Milkstone: 1, {Will +2}
Slate: 3, {Sound x2}
Slickstone: 4, {Frostbite x3}

Oddities:
nothing here
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State intentions. Provide a random roll.
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
With a sly smile, Coldtree addresses his companions. "While the Deviard are here searching for phantoms, let's sneak around behind them and raid their village."
76
 


MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
... Coldtree addresses...
Bjorn smiles...
It takes some time, quite a bit of time, but with the force of the Deviards searching for phantoms, the three men have little risk of being heard, even when needing to move closer. Once around the front of the Deviard encampment, it is remembered that there is a wooden palisade with some semblance of a gate. Though no guards are noted on the outside, it is likely that at least one would remain on the inside, though it is not necessary to interfere with this structure at all, if so desired.
GM: The party may attempt to enter the secured community by pushing open the gate or simply climbing down from higher elevation and jumping a short distance, to enter at any place. If anyone remains within the enclosure, the party may be noticed at any chosen entry attempt.

Coldtree: full wellness
Harnin arrows: 17
Tunic: 52
Tehn: full wellness
Saber: 20 - 3 = 17
Tunic: 52
Bjorn: full wellness
Currency:
Standard Earnings: 360 shillings / 10 days
Shillings: 437
Harnin Bucklers: 2
Harnin Hammers: 12

Animal Parts:
Ant Pinchers: 5, (Cohesion +1)
Ant Stingers: 1, {Toxin x2}
Beetle Elytra: 5 pair (deflect 4, soak 2)
Coot Feathers: 1 set, (Cohesion +1)
Goat Beard Talisman: {Will +2}
Greenjay Feather Talisman: ??
Harvester Feather Talisman: 1, (Health +1)
Porcupine Quill: 1, {Cohesion +2}, (toxicity x 3)
Roadrunner Feather Talisman: 2: ??

Ores:
Aluminum: 4, (Motility +2), {Shock x3}
Tin: 1, (Persona +1), {- Mind x 2}
Zinc: 7, (Health +1), {+ Body x 2}
Whitish Metal: 4, ??

Plants:
Berserker Flowers: 1 measure, {+ Strength x2 / - Mind x3}
Dried Flowers: 2: ??
Mend Leaves: 3 measures, {Restore x 2}

Stone:
Bloodstone: 1, {Health +1}
Coal: 1, (heat x3)
Emberstone: 1, {Confluence +2}
Flint: 1, (Shock x2)
Heartstone: 1, {Confluence +1}
Lodestone: 9, (shock x 3)
Milkstone: 1, {Will +2}
Slate: 3, {Sound x2}
Slickstone: 4, {Frostbite x3}

Oddities:
nothing here
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State intentions and nominal actions. Provide a random roll or reprint unused rolls.
 

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Always cautious, Coldtree votes to bypass the main gate and sneak in another way. He will manipulate waylines to blur his appearance to become harder to spot.
61
 

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
Bjorn nods in affirmation but does not verbally reply. Moving with Coldtree and Tehn, once each of them chooses a location to descend, he will move a short distance further, just to keep some space between them. Once a suitable place is decided, he will bend waylines to obscure his own image, before climbing into the encampment.
OOC: 75
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
... Coldtree votes... blur...
Bjorn nods... Moving... obscure...
Coldtree: 33(climb) + 61(d100) = 94
Tehn: 53 + 68 = 121
Bjorn: 40 + 75 = 115
Coldtree: 45 (Soullessness)
Tehn: 36 (Soullessness)
Bjorn: 31 (Blur)
Coldtree: 35(readiness) + 25(speed) + 36(clarity) + 61(d100) = 157
Tehn: 32 + 43 + 31 + 68 = 174
Bjorn: 23 + 38 + 32 + 75 = 168
Deviards: 30 + 20 + 40 + 78 = 168
Having quickly decided upon a plan, the three men move back the direction from which they had come but, this time, remaining close enough to the encampment site to keep an eye on things as much as possible, while moving. The southern rim of the encampment seems much more suitable for access than any other. From the current vantage point, two guards are seen posted outside of the central structure that is known to house the captives, a single guard is pacing just inside the main gate to the east, and another is pacing inside the hunting gate to the west. It is likely that a few more Deviards may still be within the structures, but it could not be very many.

Separated, with Coldtree on the far right and Bjorn on the far left, the three men obscure their images as is best suited to them and begin climbing down the steep facing of the small bowl-shaped depression. Though the men are difficult to see, the wary guards were able to hear their approach, due to the impossibility of not dislodging a few pebbles during the descent. Tehn was even forced to jump down a short distance because he arrived atop a small structure that is mostly cut into the face of the mountain. As he lands, a fifth Deviard, armed and armored, rushes from the entrance of that structure, ready to engage. Coldtree slips near the end of the climb, but it does not cause him any harm, only puts him out of position for a split second.

Tehn is within reach of the nearest opponent, but the outcropping of the structure currently hides this fact from the other two, who cannot see the fifth enemy. Coldtree is about equally distant, at 10 strides, from the slave guards and the main gate guard. Bjorn is about equally distant, at 10 strides, from the hunting gate guard and the slave guards.
Coldtree: full wellness
Harnin arrows: 17
Tunic: 52
Tehn: full wellness
Saber: 20 - 3 = 17
Tunic: 52
Bjorn: full wellness
Currency:
Standard Earnings: 360 shillings / 10 days
Shillings: 437
Harnin Bucklers: 2
Harnin Hammers: 12

Animal Parts:
Ant Pinchers: 5, (Cohesion +1)
Ant Stingers: 1, {Toxin x2}
Beetle Elytra: 5 pair (deflect 4, soak 2)
Coot Feathers: 1 set, (Cohesion +1)
Goat Beard Talisman: {Will +2}
Greenjay Feather Talisman: ??
Harvester Feather Talisman: 1, (Health +1)
Porcupine Quill: 1, {Cohesion +2}, (toxicity x 3)
Roadrunner Feather Talisman: 2: ??

Ores:
Aluminum: 4, (Motility +2), {Shock x3}
Tin: 1, (Persona +1), {- Mind x 2}
Zinc: 7, (Health +1), {+ Body x 2}
Whitish Metal: 4, ??

Plants:
Berserker Flowers: 1 measure, {+ Strength x2 / - Mind x3}
Dried Flowers: 2: ??
Mend Leaves: 3 measures, {Restore x 2}

Stone:
Bloodstone: 1, {Health +1}
Coal: 1, (heat x3)
Emberstone: 1, {Confluence +2}
Flint: 1, (Shock x2)
Heartstone: 1, {Confluence +1}
Lodestone: 9, (shock x 3)
Milkstone: 1, {Will +2}
Slate: 3, {Sound x2}
Slickstone: 4, {Frostbite x3}

Oddities:
nothing here
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State intentions. Provide 2 random rolls.
 
Last edited:

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
As immediately as possible, upon the realization that his presence is known, Bjorn will ready his shield and weapon as he launches into a dead run at the Hunting Gate guard, hoping to reach him before the slave guards can reach him, if they choose him as a target. Once engaged, he will augment his physical assaults with blinding flashes of light, exactly one of the same tactics the Deviard use on others.
OOC: 75, 83
 

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Knowing it would be foolish to try and fight alone, Coldtree will manipulate waylines to cause a stiff breeze to blow and cause a dust cloud to obscure the view of the four other guards. He will then run to find his companions and fight with them.
64, 95(+51)=146
 

Dungeon Delver's Guide

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top