Midway Mining Expedition (PbP)

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Coldtree nods and asks the Maldrog, "Is there a stockpile of ore?"

Later, in private, Coldtree says to Tehn, "The Deviard will probably be on guard to keep their remaining workers. I propose we hit their supplies, which might be less guarded. We could find something really good that they do not know what to do with."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Coldtree... asks... Later, in private, Coldtree says...
The Maldrog nods. "I did not even think about that. That particular mine where you rescued us has a fairly good lode of iron. There is a forge where we were being kept but not a full smithy. Once enough ore is gathered of a particular type, the Deviard would make bars of it. They must be taking it somewhere else, but that I cannot say. I have seen people leave by different paths than the main way of travel. I do not know their purposes."

Later in response, Tehn conveys his agreement with the thoughts of Coldtree. "It would be too much to hope for to hit their outgoing ore supply, but even taking out a hunting party is to our advantage."

The two men feel that they have spent enough time in town and take back to the trail, the following morning. It literally takes just over 60 hours to walk to the Kozzog Monastery. It is just over another 20 hours to the Deviard community. Along the mountain path, the usual first leg of the trip is done in 6 days plus a wake-up.
Coldtree: 26(perception) +79(d100) = 105
Tehn: 33 + 75 = 108
1C813A29-1A17-4D9A-AD12-AF943CC02D42.jpeg

The first leg of the trip proves to be routine. Game is collected, but nothing untoward is encountered. Rising at their usual early hour, when the sun burst over the horizon, the two men dry and warm themselves from the night's cold and the previous day's rain. It should be decided if it would be expedient to visit with the Kozzogs or to press on to the goal.

Tehn suggest that the two divert for a visit with the Kozzogs. "It may be to the advantage of our wealth and our reputation to converse with the Kozzogs. Since some of theirs were freed in our first raid, they may be interested in offering a little financial motivation for our continued activity."
Coldtree: full wellness
Harnin arrows: 17
Tunic: 52
Tehn: full wellness
Currency:
Standard Earnings: 360 shillings / 10 days
Shillings: 437
Harnin Bucklers: 2
Harnin Hammers: 12

Animal Parts:
Ant Pinchers: 5, (Cohesion +1)
Ant Stingers: 1, {Toxin x2}
Beetle Elytra: 5 pair (deflect 4, soak 2)
Coot Feathers: 1 set, (Cohesion +1)
Goat Beard Talisman: {Will +2}
Greenjay Feather Talisman: ??
Harvester Feather Talisman: 1, (Health +1)
Porcupine Quill: 1, {Cohesion +2}, (toxicity x 3)
Roadrunner Feather Talisman: 2: ??

Ores:
Aluminum: 4, (Motility +2), {Shock x3}
Tin: 1, (Persona +1), {- Mind x 2}
Zinc: 7, (Health +1), {+ Body x 2}
Whitish Metal: 4, ??

Plants:
Berserker Flowers: 1 measure, {+ Strength x2 / - Mind x3}
Dried Flowers: 2: ??
Mend Leaves: 3 measures, {Restore x 2}

Stone:
Bloodstone: 1, {Health +1}
Coal: 1, (heat x3)
Emberstone: 1, {Confluence +2}
Flint: 1, (Shock x2)
Heartstone: 1, {Confluence +1}
Lodestone: 9, (shock x 3)
Milkstone: 1, {Will +2}
Slate: 3, {Sound x2}
Slickstone: 4, {Frostbite x3}

Oddities:
nothing here
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State nominal actions and intentions. Provide a random roll.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Coldtree nods...
Coldtree: 26(coerce) + 35(muddle) + 151(d100) = 212
It is two hours of steady incline to reach the gate marking the entrance to the Kozzog Monastery. As Coldtree calls greeting in the Kozzog language, he and Tehn are recognized by the sentry on duty. The walk-gate is immediately opened to allow entry.

After the recent return of some of their own, the Kozzogs are gracious toward their visit. The elders convey that after the loss of a mining party, Deviard scouts have been more frequently noticed about the mountains but not in any sizable force. Because of this, the village has sent out fewer expeditions and those have been of larger number. No confrontation has yet occurred, but the tension is high.

Having the DWAC return is considered fortuitous. A proposal is made on making another run at the Deviards with the hopes that further loss may provoke them to move on. An oddity for the Kozzog, who are a bit of isolationists, it is also conveyed that a member of theirs would like to join the adventuring company.
Currency:

Animal Parts:

Ores:

Plants:

Stone:

Oddities:
nothing here
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State nominal actions and intentions. Provide a random roll.

Last edited:

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
Suspecting that the two men will have reservation, the young Kozzog steps forward, so that he may be seen. He is no so tall for his own tribe but still has the heavy musculature that is common to them. His long, dirty-blond hair has been tied back out of his face. He addresses the elders in Kozzog, but switches to a passable Orngaddrin as he turns toward Coldtree and Tehn.
blonde-beard-style-8.jpg

"I was not chosen by some council to be forced on you in some interest of our elders. It was my suggestion. I volunteered. I realized a few years ago that the Deviard are not the only people to possess magical talent. This was confirmed when I first met you. No, no, we Kozzogs are not so superstitious as most. We do not see this talent as a curse or a blight, despite the behavior of the Deviard. My point is that I can help you. I have watched the Deviard skulk through the passes. I have seen what they can do and I have realized that I, too, have the exact same talent."

When he says this, he pulls a small stone from a belt pouch and tosses it across the ground. By the second bounce the stone glows like torch, but it is not on fire.

"I want to be able to give the Deviard a taste of their own tactics."
OOC: 78

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Coldtree makes sure the Kozzog know the precise location of the Deviard camp.
coldtree.jpg
To the young Kozzog he says in Orngaddrin, "You may join us, but first let us have your name. As for our talents, we do not display or speak of those in public or outside of our travels. Tehn and I have developed our skills considerably, but if others knew how strong we were, they might begin to see us as a threat to their authority. It is enough for the local communities to know that we are capable of doing the jobs we are hired for. The DWAC is a profit driven organization. We do not do anything for free, but sometimes what we profit on is found in our travels, and therefore divided only among us. Once we take a contract, we do not turn aside until it is finished. We prefer to deal with our opponents in such a way that we have the advantage. For these Deviard, who greatly outnumber us, we will choose the location of our battles and strike from concealment with lethal force. If this is agreeable to you, then let us begin."

MacConnell

... Kozzog steps forward...

"... I volunteered..."...
Coldtree makes sure...
Coming quickly to agreeable terms, including monetary favor from the Kozzog Monastery, the, now, three members of the Dragon Way Adventuring Company rest for the night and head back along the trail the following day. It will take another day and a half of normal walking to reach the known location of the Deviard encampment. The definitive trail ends at the farthest north mine, which is simply called by its number of 10, and game trails are used to aid in travel.

As camp is being made from an uneventful day, none is yet to say if it is Fortune or Misfortune who smiles, but a solitary Deviard is seen coming from the north. He, and it is a male, is following a game trail that will lead him directly to the camped party. Watching him from the higher vantage point, he appears wary of his immediate surroundings but has not looked far enough up to notice anyone from the party. The solitary figure will disappear from view for a time, because of the nature of the trail, before he arrives.
Currency:

Animal Parts:

Ores:

Plants:

Stone:

Oddities:
nothing here

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
Bjorn looks at his two new friends and quickly assesses that both are built for speed and stealth; whereas, he is not. He whispers, "I will be bait. I will kneel down by our fire and play the fool. Being solitary, he is likely a formidable foe, but I need to test my mettle at some point."

He does just what he says, kneeling down to the side of the fire where he has a clear view of the upcoming game trail and where he is also in clear view. He sets his carving axe on the ground to the left of him and his javelin on his right.
OOC: 75

Remove ads