D&D 5E Mike Mearls interview - states that they may be getting off of the 2 AP/year train.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Do you have a quote? Or time stamp of the relevant statement?

Please a timestamp I not listening to 53 minutes to find the quote.

It's a good interview and worth listening to. But you can start at the 13 minute mark for the specific information, and in particularly at 14.30 he gets to talking about not doing two full campaign books a year. Picks up again at 17 minute briefly as well.

bmfrosty

Explorer
Thanks for doing the summary man. I am absolutely whammied with allergies today and wasn't up for that.

Yawning Portal is intended for any setting and not "officially set in Forgotten Realms". They have Eberron, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Forgotten Realms guidelines. This includes moving Dead in Thay over from Forgotten Realms. He also says, "Even though we don't have an official Greyhawk yet..." which made me smile that he used the word "yet" though he didn't place any emphasis on it. He mentions they are looking at all the settings, and they are aware people like the classic settings and want them brought back.

It's interesting what settings guidelines were included. Between that and the 'settings' sidebar on dmsguild, it gives you an idea of what settings they have on their minds.

jimmytheccomic

First Post
I guess there is an advantage in offering more of a variety of stuff- a player jumping into the game now has an embarrassment of riches, if he or she is looking for a campaign book.

I guess there is an advantage in offering more of a variety of stuff- a player jumping into the game now has an embarrassment of riches, if he or she is looking for a campaign book.

This is a good point. I have it in my mind that they wanted to keep things simple for the buyer - walk into store, get core books + one campaign book, leave - but too many campaign books might start to undermine that. However, if they stop doing campaign books, then groups who follow them along (which the release schedule encourages) might start to run out of content.

I want to get the Yawning Portal book, but I doubt that I'll shell out fifty bucks for it. What's wrong with paperbacks?
They're not *that* much cheaper at that size, and binding tends to go much quicker. Having run a few softcover large adventure they look beat to hell after just light use.

It's a good interview and worth listening to. But you can start at the 13 minute mark for the specific information, and in particularly at 14.30 he gets to talking about not doing two full campaign books a year. Picks up again at 17 minute briefly as well.
I'll probably listen to the whole thing, but wanted to get to the interesting discussion. For context so I could reply here.

It does sound like they may not being doing the 1-10+ adventures. That means they might be going to 10-20 for a couple, or a bunch of modular adventures (like Dungeon Delves) or other products like a campaign setting or splatbooks...
For the sake of the Adventurer's League and the established audience that runs the storylines, they need one big level 1-15 adventure each year. But the spring product can get more experimental. Like a bunch of unconnected dungeons.

It makes sense. Not everyone gets through a storyline every six months. They can take a good year. And as new players come in, they have more of a back catalogue. So new ones aren't competing with other RPGs but with everything published prior.
(I've mused on this with Pathfinder, which has far more APs yet most people have only played a half-dozen.)
The gaming business is tricky, as you don't need perpetual releases of anything. You need a book of classes, a book of magic items, a book of races, maybe a couple monster books, etc. It's not perpetual, and after a while you're better off just stopping. A finite number of books.

aco175

Legend
I would like to see disposable modules on newsprint or like a magazine. It would make it feel ok to write all over them and use them how you like. It is most likely not a good business model though.

Remove ads