D&D 4E Mike Mearls on how D&D 4E could have looked

OK on this "I would’ve much preferred the ability to adopt any role within the core 4 by giving players a big choice at level 1, an option that placed an overlay on every power you used or that gave you a new way to use them." Basically have Source Specific Powers and less class powers. But I think combining that with having BIG differing stances to dynamically switch role might be a better...

OK on this "I would’ve much preferred the ability to adopt any role within the core 4 by giving players a big choice at level 1, an option that placed an overlay on every power you used or that gave you a new way to use them."
Basically have Source Specific Powers and less class powers. But I think combining that with having BIG differing stances to dynamically switch role might be a better idea so that your hero can adjust role to circumstance. I have to defend this NPC right now vs I have to take down the big bad right now vs I have to do minion cleaning right now, I am inspiring allies in my interesting way, who need it right now.

and the obligatory
Argghhhh on this. " I wanted classes to have different power acquisition schedules"

And thematic differences seemed to have been carried fine.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Shas is talking 1e as much as I can't tell...ie thief having a percentage to climb walls

I thought we were comparing an ADnD Fighter with Conan and Captain America. Something about how an ADnD Fighter needs magical items like a Belt of Giant Strength.

I really need to dig out those old Conan stories to see how closely pemertons Conan matches Robert Howards Conan.

Imaro

Legend
Which goes back to my original point - if there is no sense of what sorts of things can be done by various tiers of PCs (because everything is possible to everyone at all levels) then martial PCs will be the victims of that. There will be no tasks that are feasible for the 15th level fighter but off the table for the 1st level fighter.

Sure there are... DC 27 and above challenges.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I've got no real opinion on 5e combat other than that the monsters don't seem super-interesting. But 5e non-combat seems to me not to model "tiers" very well, for the sorts of reasons that I and others ( [MENTION=82504]Garthanos[/MENTION], [MENTION=12749]MwaO[/MENTION]) have posted. The upshot (it seems to me) is that the DC for a high level fighter shoving his hands into the forge so as to stabilise the magic hammer so that the artificers can grasp it with their tools is impossible.

Personally I would prefer the narrative of the high level fighter subduing the fiery elemental spirit powering the forge so that the artificers can safely work the magic hammer. I think that it is fine for a character to have a weakness where they really are not competent.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't think that Hercules is seriously challenged by a group of Athenian hoplites surrounding him. Nor Lancelot, for that matter. Nor is Conan if he's able to get his back against a wall but otherwise is pressed by foes.

A character who can seriously threaten a demon prince seems to me to be closer to Hercules than Samwise Gamgee in overall power/heroic stature. I think 4e does quite a good job of presenting such a state of affairs.

I've got no real opinion on 5e combat other than that the monsters don't seem super-interesting. But 5e non-combat seems to me not to model "tiers" very well, for the sorts of reasons that I and others ( [MENTION=82504]Garthanos[/MENTION], [MENTION=12749]MwaO[/MENTION]) have posted. The upshot (it seems to me) is that the DC for a high level fighter shoving his hands into the forge so as to stabilise the magic hammer so that the artificers can grasp it with their tools is impossible.

Again, it's a genre preference. 5E covers four tiers of play, that offer a spread: but it is within a certain genre, of "D&D" performance at different levels. So, no, high level fighters aren't going to put their hands in a magic forge, maybe with magic gloves.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Rand shielded facing ten swordsmen would be in trouble.

You didnt read enough of the books he could clamp them with air tie it off and go play tiddly winks late in the story he was definitely a reincarnation of the character who was powerful enough to destroy cities.

He did that to a room full of Aes Sedai... sorry you are just wrong.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Again, it's a genre preference. 5E covers four tiers of play, that offer a spread: but it is within a certain genre, of "D&D" performance at different levels. So, no, high level fighters aren't going to put their hands in a magic forge, maybe with magic gloves.

Guess what the gauntlets in magic armor are magic.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You didnt read enough of the books he could clamp them with air tie it off and go play tiddly winks late in the story he was definitely a reincarnation of the character who was powerful enough to destroy cities.

He did that to a room full of Aes Sedai... sorry you are just wrong.

I read all of the books: Rand was never unstoppable or untouchable.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I had a similar scene but with "things" popping out of the wall interfering with the process the fighter types could very much participate in that way... But for the case of a Dwarf with lots of personal investment in the results that is like both a force of will boost and racial boost on interacting with forge, so shrug.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads