D&D 4E Mike Mearls on how D&D 4E could have looked

OK on this "I would’ve much preferred the ability to adopt any role within the core 4 by giving players a big choice at level 1, an option that placed an overlay on every power you used or that gave you a new way to use them." Basically have Source Specific Powers and less class powers. But I think combining that with having BIG differing stances to dynamically switch role might be a better...

OK on this "I would’ve much preferred the ability to adopt any role within the core 4 by giving players a big choice at level 1, an option that placed an overlay on every power you used or that gave you a new way to use them."
Basically have Source Specific Powers and less class powers. But I think combining that with having BIG differing stances to dynamically switch role might be a better idea so that your hero can adjust role to circumstance. I have to defend this NPC right now vs I have to take down the big bad right now vs I have to do minion cleaning right now, I am inspiring allies in my interesting way, who need it right now.

and the obligatory
Argghhhh on this. " I wanted classes to have different power acquisition schedules"

And thematic differences seemed to have been carried fine.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I read all of the books: Rand was never unstoppable or untouchable.

A room full of very powerful Aes Sedai yeh I am just not buying your spookie ten men with swords. that assertion is a joke.

Not unstoppable sure and this incarnation of Arthur Hawkwing put his sword in the stone because he wanted to be completely stoppable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Actually if you had participated in the weekly hobgoblin virgin and first born sacrifice you too could fire some lightning bolts with it.

A lot of villain or civilian magic really could be wrapped in this narrative. Note it didnt require a magic staff to throw lightning bolts at least for a PC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A room full of very powerful Aes Sedai yeh I am just not buying your spookie ten men with swords. that assertion is a joke.

Not unstoppable sure and this incarnation of Arthur Hawkwing put his sword in the stone because he wanted to be completely stoppable.

You didn't notice the "shielded" part.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
To be honest 3e probably did a better job of representing Rand but I think Matrim was a 4e Warlord (with some rogue mixed in)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I guess my problem with a "lucky" character is that it kind of ignores the luck of the attack roll. For me the luck is the monster rolling a 1 and missing or my character rolling a save and succeeding. That was lucky.
Gygax definitely put luck in there

It also clashes with any luck mechanics in the game. A lucky 5e Halfling can reroll an attack but your lucky character cant.

A Luck Blade gives you a bonus to your saves and Wishes!
How do you call that clashing?

So the lucky halfling doesnt get bonuses on saves and wishes how disgusting and disonnent kill the game?????

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well when you put a superman in the game it behoves you to put Kryptonite in the story it when it takes extreme/weird measures like inducing a oath bound hero like Cu Chulainn to eat dog to defeat him that is evidence of power and how normal circumstances really arent a threat....

It is by no means evidence they are somehow within reach of low level threats.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Gygax definitely put luck in there

How do you call that clashing?

So the lucky halfling doesnt get bonuses on saves and wishes how disgusting and disonnent kill the game?????

To be fair one was a 5e reference to keep the Jester happy and one was an ADnD reference. 5e does not really have real Wishes.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Take Lancelot sleeping off a berserk or super extreme session of self recrimination,and then ignore that even while bare assed naked he could defeat a complement of armed and armored round table knights.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads