D&D 5E Mike Mearls on Settings

I also believe that Spelljammer should have its own setting rather than be a connection to various settings. I'd have Spelljammer be about spacefaring swashbuckling adventures.

While I'm fine with focusing Spelljammer as it's own setting (the way Planescape is), I'd be disappointed if they eliminated the connection "hooks" to other settings. Spelljammer's ability to connect to other settings as little or as much as you'd like without actually changing those settings is one of its great points of flexibility. Playing a purely Spelljammer game? You aren't anywhere near Realmspace or Greyspace; everything you run into is focused on the Spelljammer vibe. Playing a Forgotten Realms game? Sure, space is up there. But if nothing from space ever interacts with your campaign, there is no Spelljammer in it. But if you want to, you can have spacefarers interact with established campaign worlds, and it all just works (ideally). That's how it should be done. Otherwise it's taking away an important part of the original Spelljammer...and we've seen how well that sort of thing has gone in the past.

Aldarc

Legend
The problem is that magic isn't replicating 19th and early 20th century technology in the Eberron setting. It's creating armies of mechanical men, rivety giant robots, and flying ships that look and feel like seagoing vessels. Combine that with the specific 19th century technologies that magic replicates as part of the setting (telegraphy, locomotives, and continual flame gaslights), and the setting starts to feel like a fantastical 19th century, which is why a lot of people read the setting as steampunk.

If you don't see it, that's fine. We can agree to disagree.
As I said, in some ways, Eberron is more advanced than current society due to its magitech. And while it has armies of mechanical men, giant robots, and flying ships, none of them really follow steampunk aesthetics and its core assumptions. There's nothing particularly clockwork, riveted, steampowered, or Victorian about them. The flying ships, for example, aren't the usual Steampunk dirigibles. There's nothing particularly mechanical about them. The entire steampunk genre likes to give the false perception that their creations are the result of scientific engineering. It attempts to deceive people into the fantasy of thinking that this is scientifically possible, and people basically nod and go along with it. But in Eberron, the images are oozing with magic, such as bound-elemental rings surrounding the flying ships. The moment that you basically say that "magic did it," then it seems to me as if you are breaking a fundamental aesthetic of Steampunk. And the warforged don't look like conventional Steampunk clockwork automatons, but golems of metal and wood. And another glaring absence of the steampunk genre: where are the guns in Eberron? The images are filled with bows, swords, axes, and the like that largely break any sense of steampunk immersion. The closest that we get are with wand duelists, but this evokes Harry Potter more than anything nowadays.

Those elements aren't necessarily associated with noir. I mean, putting aside "archaeological-focused universities" and "competing trade families," which aren't associated with noir at all, the elements you've listed are just elements of spy fiction and crime fiction. James Bond films contain many of those elements, but nobody would confuse them with noir. Meanwhile, Sunset Boulevard contains none of those elements, but nobody would mistake it for anything else.
They aren't necessarily exclusive to noir, but intrigue is closely part of noir. There is very much a Maltese Falcon vibe to Eberron. You could basically run an adventure set to the movie, but with a dragonshard as the MacGuffin. Or you could draw from noir-inspired sci-fi, such as Blade Runner, Minority Report, or Alphaville.

Noir is notoriously difficult to define, and I am not going to attempt that here, but it's less about subject matter, and more a matter of tone, themes, and (of course) visual style. While it's possible that other materials hit closer to the mark, the Eberron materials I've seen don't even seem to make an attempt at noir.
So you mean it's about like how Eberron isn't Steampunk? There are a number of Eberron adventures that entail murder mysteries. It's not necessarily "true noir," but it's clearly attempting to evoke a similar feel.

in a QnA on https://www.twitch.tv/explodingdice Mike made a few more remarks about campaign settings.

Basicly he siad that if they where to do a campaign setting it should be diferent enough to draw in people currently not playing DnD, and not just another option for existing players.
I'll admit that I'm skeptical that Mearls would know how to do that and which setting that would even be.

Last edited:

nindustrial

First Post
I'm usually just a lurker, but I wanted to throw in that my guess is Dark Sun might be next:

Most of the other books have included Dark Sun in their sections regarding conversion to other settings. The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide has no conversion info for Dark Sun. Hint that they foresaw a more imminent Dark Sun setting guide?

Oh gawd no. That would be like having Pirate rules totally separate from every other setting- sure you could do it but what would be the point? And what would be next, Planescape without any connection to the Primes I suppose?

Spelljammer most certainly suffered when they tied it too strongly to the other settings, with suggestions that the campaign should happen around either Realmspace, Krynnspace or Greyspace. It left Spelljammer feeling like something where the spelljammers were just ferrying from one world to another, and it made it even worse when certain factions from Toril had a presence in space.

They clearly should have put the focus on the Rock of Bral, given Bral its own system, focused on the Astromundi Cluster, the various space empires, and the many strange worlds introduced outside of the boxed set. Those 3 systems containing those 3 campaign worlds should have been left in a small appendix somewhere and not bothered with as anything central to the campaign setting.

Planescape was its own campaign setting, and only briefly touched on the other campaign settings. What happened in Planescape was mostly independent of anything else going on in any of the other campaign worlds, and that's one of the things that made Planescape memorable.

I'll admit that I'm skeptical that Mearls would know how to do that and which setting that would even be.

Wel it might mean increasing the diference between campaign settings, not only in genre but also in playstyle and rules.

So it might be interesting if for example a darksun game might be more of a survival game instead of the hero dungeon crawl game we have seen in many campaign settings so far.
with a lot of focus on getting enough food and water to survive.

Wel it might mean increasing the diference between campaign settings, not only in genre but also in playstyle and rules.

So it might be interesting if for example a darksun game might be more of a survival game instead of the hero dungeon crawl game we have seen in many campaign settings so far.
with a lot of focus on getting enough food and water to survive.

I am not sure they would do that (and there would be a lot wailing and gnashing of teeth on the forums), but I am a form follows function kind of guy, so this appeals to me.

Remathilis

Legend
Please, no. Yes, it's pulpy.

There is no "punk" in Eberron, though. Noir, yes. Punk, no. Punk would not go well with the setting, at all.

You could potentially add some "steam" to it, but it isn't really a core aspect of the setting. Pretty sure that "steam" without the "punk" is really just a Western. Which could work, but the setting doesn't exactly scream for it.

Didn't expect THAT to blow up!

I used steampunk as a shorthand for "magic replacing technology that is anachronistic to a medieval setting"; the airships, lightning rails, Sharn, warforged, artificers, magewrights, etc. It wasn't entirely accurate, but it conveyed the concept of "fantastical technology analogy" in short hand. Its probably closer to early Final Fantasy games, where kingdoms exist alongside giant robots and transforming castles, but it conveyed the idea that we aren't assuming a world of traditional medieval technology.

In short, it was inelegant, but not a slight against the setting.

Oofta

Legend
Didn't expect THAT to blow up!

I used steampunk as a shorthand for "magic replacing technology that is anachronistic to a medieval setting"; the airships, lightning rails, Sharn, warforged, artificers, magewrights, etc. It wasn't entirely accurate, but it conveyed the concept of "fantastical technology analogy" in short hand. Its probably closer to early Final Fantasy games, where kingdoms exist alongside giant robots and transforming castles, but it conveyed the idea that we aren't assuming a world of traditional medieval technology.

In short, it was inelegant, but not a slight against the setting.

I will be the first to admit that I'm not a steampunk afficionado, but some books that I've read that claimed to be steampunk could have been easily replicated using Eberron's setting assumptions.

I have also been known to call Eberron steampunk-like. To me, the big difference between Eberron and Steampunk is set dressing.

I'll probably have to turn in my geek credentials now. :blush:

Hussar

Legend
Well to jump into the steampunk discussion for a second. I'd point out that there a Big part of Steampunk is the punk aspect. Taking Victorian cultural norms, and then turning them on their head as a commentary about modern culture.

That aspect is largely absent from Eberron.

Sure it draws from some of the same aesthetics but it's really not steampunk.

Then again, DND as a whole isn't really any genre other than its own. So inspired by is about as close as you can get.

Remove ads