D&D 5E Miles per day on horseback: how many?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Just to clarify, I don't recommend (or do myself) for DMs to ALWAYS mess with horse (or mules). I do recommend that DMs be aware of some of the ways in which they can use mounts (or hirelings/retainers/etc) to spice up of boring parts of the story or even add interesting parts to the plot.

It's just another tool for the DM. As with any tool, it should be used for fun, however the table defines that.

Fair enough. Most y’all like that I hear is from DMs that delight in doing stuff like that frequently, brag about their players not trusting anyone or anything, and still somehow have players.

Are they ever in a hurry or have a lot of stuff to carry?

Sometimes they are in a hurry, but mounts haven't seemed to be relevant yet for those situations. Urban, jungle with raft, that sort of thing. They've rarely had problems with their carrying capacity, and since they've been to Sigil they now have almost enough bags of holding to go around the whole party. Of course the latter mostly is about pack animals, which won't speed you up, but I do like the idea of occasional pack animals coming along. There's just something interesting to me to bringing along beasts of burden or transportation that apparently my group doesn't share.

Remove ads