• COMING SOON! -- The Awfully Cheerful Engine on Kickstarter! An action comedy RPG inspired by cheerful tabletop games of the 80s! With a foreword by Sandy 'Ghostbusters' Petersen, and VTT support!

Million Dollar TTRPG Kickstarters

tor.jpg

Recently, The One Ring 2nd Edition joined an exclusive club -- Kickstarters for tabletop roleplaying game products which have broken the $1M barrier!

This list comprises Kickstarters specifically for tabletop roleplaying games or supplements which have exceeded $1M. It does not include Kickstarters for miniatures, software, dice, or other accessories.

The first TTRPG Kickstarter to break $1M was 7th Sea: Second Edition by John Wick. The first to break $2M was Strongholds & Streaming by Matt Colville.

$1M+ TTRPG Kickstarters

KickstarterCreatorDate EndedBackersAmount
Strongholds & StreamingMatt ColvilleMarch 201828,918$2,121,465
The One Ring Roleplaying Game, Second EditionFree LeagueMarch 202116,591$2,025,288
The Seeker's Guide to Twisted TavernsEldermancyMarch 202117.921$1,650,076
Kingdoms, Warfare & More Minis!Matt ColvilleNovember 201919,033$1,372,685
7th Sea: Second EditionJohn WickMarch 201611,483$1,316,813
Coyote & Crow the Roleplaying GameConnor AlexanderApril 202116,269$1,073,453
Humblewood Campaign Setting for 5eHit Point PressApril 201914,604$1,001,085

Last edited:

Russ Morrissey

Russ Morrissey

Corrosive

Adventurer
Sometimes i really can't make head or tails with rpg KS... . I get that a rpg based on the father of all fantasy worlds is going to be successful, but Colville's stuff? It's 5e, ok...but still, 2.1 Mio $? Why? I don't get it. I think that dude is seriously overrated * shrugs *

And that tavern thingy?! Uhm...ok. Just weird. I guess I'm definitely no longer "in touch" with what is hip in ttrpg. I just don't need stuff like that...at all.
They both have really large followings, and the Twsted Taverns did a big ad spend with Backerkit.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Coleville's book was excellent and timely. I was at the point in my 5e gaming where I wanted some simple mass-combat rule and simple rules for characters to spend their money and build a stronghold as a base of operations. Strongholds and Followers hit at just the right time for me and the rules were good, it is well written (though could be better organized in parts), and well produced. It hit the sweet spot for me...and apparently a lot of other people.

Eilathen

Explorer
How large are we talking here? Critical Role kind of following? Or less? I still think it's crazy that these make those amounts. But it seems some fans are just very rabid, these days. Something like - "I must have it, just because it is from X..." (even if i never use it/don't really need it).

I just find that kind of "loyalty" kind of weird. My decisions were always more along the lines of "is this something i need" and/or "is this a well made/designed thing".

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
How large are we talking here? Critical Role kind of following? Or less? I still think it's crazy that these make those amounts. But it seems some fans are just very rabid, these days. Something like - "I must have it, just because it is from X..." (even if i never use it/don't really need it).
Not CR size (they're the biggest) but I'd guess Matt Colville is the next biggest?

As for reach affecting sales -- it's just maths. That's how advertising works. The more eyes on your project, the more people are going to be interested in it. If your project is of interest to 1% of gamers, 1% of 100 followers is 1 backer, while 1% of a million followers is 10,000 backers. And of course, if it hits a critical mass feedback loop where the size of the campaign itself makes people talk about it, you get even more eyes on it.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I bought Coleville's book because it was something I "needed" (really wanted for my gaming at that time). I think I learned about it on ENWorld, I wasn't a follower. But being able to listen to a number of his videos certainly helped make me more comfortable in backing the project. I liked his philosophy and tips on DMing.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I just find that kind of "loyalty" kind of weird. My decisions were always more along the lines of "is this something i need" and/or "is this a well made/designed thing".
In my experience, a lot of gamers look at potential purchases with a "I could conceivably need this for my game, someday" mindset. You might not have any use for a sourcebook about, say, cyborg werewolves from another dimension, at the moment, but in theory you might be able to use it for your next campaign, so it's worth picking up just in case.

Yes, totally crazy the way the public flocks to particular Kickstarters. like the Taverns one, nothing special or different from the one I backed years ago called Remarkable Inns and their Drinks that has a new Kickstarter of Remarkable Cults and their Followers. But those not run by celebrities are not bringing in the millions. What gives? Same product concept.

if you are creator that disparity is damned depressing. And here we think Jeff Bezo's Amazon is the big bad.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, totally crazy the way the public flocks to particular Kickstarters. like the Taverns one, nothing special or different from the one I backed years ago called Remarkable Inns and their Drinks that has a new Kickstarter of Remarkable Cults and their Followers. But those not run by celebrities are not bringing in the millions. What gives? Same product concept.

if you are creator that disparity is damned depressing. And here we think Jeff Bezo's Amazon is the big bad.
Not really. I don’t measure my success by how well others do. I’m very happy with my monthly sub-$20K campaigns, and somebody making a million dollars doesn’t take anything away from me. Good for them! Jealousy is not a pleasant look on anybody.

Eilathen

Explorer
Colville's KS was more than a book. It was actually only a small portion of it.
Oh? Please do tell, in that case. This might get more perspective to the whole thing.

@Morrus - I do think that this is a bit of simplistic view, though. Of course other KS, especially those that are very successful (and in the same-ish direction of what you are doing) kind of do take away money from you. So while I think it is indeed not a good look to be overly jealous, I do think that those things are not as independently as you make it sound. And therefore i can understand if some creators are a bit frustrated by the way "things work" sometimes.
You could have the exact same product, possibly even the better product, if your "opponent" is some RPG "celebrity", you're kind of screwed. Then again, that is how the rest of the world works as well...so i guess in the end, your stance is the only sane one for creators.

Skywalker

Adventurer
Oh? Please do tell, in that case. This might get more perspective to the whole thing.

The KS was called Stronghold and Streaming. It covered the book Strongholds and Followers as well as funding for a filming studio for his live stream. It also ended up funding a line of dragon miniatures as well by its end by way of stretch goals.

Eilathen

Explorer
Oh alright! Clever! And now it also makes much more sense to me how this went so high. Of course a lot of his fans from the YT channel would want to support the streaming part of the deal.

Thx, Skywalker.

ART!

Hero
I can almost guarantee that I'll back the D&D 5E version of TOR 2E at a printed books level, and it's extemely rare that I do that. So, if I'm going to take that leap then there are a whole bunch of people who are much more likely to make that leap. It'll be interesting to see how it does.

sword3274

Explorer
Talking with a friend about this, an interesting point was made. Considering TOR 2e was only 22 days (as opposed to S&F being a full 30), it could be considered the #1 RPG KS of all time. A minor point, for certain, but I thought it was something.

Visit Our Sponsor

An Advertisement

Advertisement4