• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MInd Blank vs. True Strike, part II

KarinsDad

Adventurer
The problem with the Sage's rulings are two fold in general:

1) He tends to look at a single sentence in a book and make a ruling on it, even though there are other sentences in the books which might have bearing on the subject. He seems to be very literal with regard to the rules and very focussed on single instances of a given rule.

2) If you want to make sure he makes a good ruling, you cannot just ask him a simple question because he might not realize the points of contention that sparked the question. A better way to ask him is to say "Mind Blank states ..., True Strike is a divination spell that states..., so does this clause in MB prevent TS from targetting an MB protected character?". Just asking him if MB stops TS does not ensure that he even reads the spells.

This is one of the reasons he changes his rulings on occassion. People do not give him enough information and expect him to pull out the books and read several different sections on his own. I really doubt he has time to do that every time. If you ask him questions like these without giving him details, expect his answer to possibly change in the future.

Zenon

First Post
Heh, at leat we got more than a "No" out of him, we got three words.

Somehow I didn't think they'd agree on it.

As for Monte's ruling, just realize that sometime you have to take Monte's ruling with a grain of salt. For example, on his boards in one of the RttToEE threads, someone asked him how all the clerics in the CRM were supposed to easily cast, seeing that they carried shields in addition to their melee weapons. Monte's answer went something like (paraphrase): "Well, I cut them slack and don't make them put away the weapons before they cast, and I do the same for my players".

So much for Monte sticking to the rules! (That one always sticks in my head whenever I heard that Monte said ssuch-and-such about a ruling....)

Sorry, I don't have a direct link to the thread, and the search function on Monte's boards doesn't work or I would put in the link.

[edit] Found the link:
http://pub58.ezboard.com/fokayyourturnfrm17.showMessage?topicID=545.topic

With the split decision, it looks like it's every DM for himself on this one, go with whatever works for you personally.

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
Well, Monte may not always stick to the rules while running a game, but I didn't see anything in his reasoning that was against the rules for Mind Blank.

If the Sage would just give a detailed explanation then I'd have two arguments I could examine and weigh on my own. Unfortunately, I have a detailed reason, and a "NO". That's no good to me (although I have decided pro-Monte as that's the same answer I had before he was asked).

IceBear

Zenon

First Post
I agree with you IceBear, I wish we would have gotten more than a "No, it won't" out of him. It would have been nice to see his thoughts on the ruling.

I guess we're going to just have to exercise each of our legendary "DM Power" to rule on this one individually.

I would go with Monte's ruling, but then having the Sage kick out the opposite answer leaves this in a grey zone. I don't want to start up the debate again, but each side had some good points for and against. And if I, as a DM rule one way, I don't want my players trying to use the "But Monte said.." or "But Skip said.." line on me depending which way I call it.

Until something official comes out, this looks like a good candidate to put in my "Campaign Rules" writeup. (aka "House Rules") with the question and the way it will work in my game.

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
Yeah.

The thing was Monte also said he was just going to say No too. Then he looked into it. Makes me wonder if the Sage did that - he probably just got the email and answered off the cuff instead of examining it closely.

Hopefully the person that said they were going to followup with the Sage will do so and then let us know.

IceBear

coyote6

Adventurer
Re: Re: Re: MInd Blank vs. True Strike, part II

kreynolds said:
You mean that none of you saw that coming!? Geesh...:rolleyes:

He must've had mind blank up! :D

IIRC, Monte Cook said that he thought it wasn't the designer's intent that mind blank protect against true strike; it may be that the Sage was working from the same intent.

Remove ads