Mind Flayer Headhunter Squadron...

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Background:
There are now six dead Mind Flayers, the council is angry and suprised that mere cattle could pull of such a feat. The council assembles one of it's headhunter squadrons...

PC party consists of two 13th level and two 14th level characters (each of them is a virtual killing machine and should be counted as a level higher).

Mind Flayer Headhunter Squadron:
3x Shield Guardian
2x Mind Flayer 4th Level Fighter
1x Mind Flayer 7th Level Wizard
(the above have skills/feats/items/spells that make this party a well oiled machine)

My question:
In theory the Mind Flayer Fighters have a Base Attack +10/+5, but as they have four natural attacks, those are calculated at full base Attack (+10). What i want to know is how do i let them use additional weapons in their hands?

Something like this:
4x tentacle +10
1x right hand +5
1x left hand +0

What kind of feats would i need to give these Mind Flayers to compensate for their disabilities (two-weapon fighting, multiattack...)?

I can make this up as i go along off course, but i want to be fair, and need a bit of input of other people...

Multiattack should do it. To be really nasty, make those mind flayers rogues or assassins. Sneak attack: +xd6 damage per attack, and then improved grab and extract. If they're an assassin, multiple chances to kill instantly (and then extract).

Xarlen

First Post
If you have Enemies and Allies, there's an Illithid Assassin.

I don't think the Mind Flayers should be used as fighters; I don't believe their hitpoints got the power. An invisible mindflayers sneaking in to do three overlaping mindblasts on the fighter types and then let the sheild guardians attack while they extract the failed fighters.

Or, use their invisible attack the spellcasters or anyone with grapple attacks.

Gromm

First Post
That seems about right. Personally I'd go more with PsyWar and Psions myself. Seems to make alot more sense than wizards and fighter for mindflayers.
Don't forget mind flayers could also have some pretty powerful charmed things to use as fodder rather than themselves. Maybe some charmed fighter types of a more combat capable race...

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Multiattack, that's what i was thinking as well, thanks!

The rogue/assasin combo instead of the fighter has crossed my mind, but they need to be effective even when one gets taken out or they loose their improved invisibility. Also the fighter types have a lot more hitpoints (higher Con).

I really wanted a Psion instead of a wizard, but this combo really needs improved invisibility and haste, a psion doesn't have those abilities. But i'm thinking of making those two spells Psion powers. Anyone have anythoughts on this?

The reason of having such strange combos is quite simple, they're from a Mind Flayer city that has 3,000 MF. Sure there are a ouple of MF fighters, and i think lots of mages as well. The council now sends the group that can best handle the situation...

Ah, one nice detail, they are all astral projecting from somewhere on the outerplanes (their bodyguards are there to protect their bodies).

Xarlen

First Post
Give the flayers potions.

Y'know, Psy warriors have roughly good powers compared to the fighter equives (I personally like Displacement, or Blur).

Gromm

First Post
Xarlen said:
Uuuuummmmbbbeeeerr Hulks. :)

Exactly.

PsyWarriors that know they are going into combat are far tougher than a fighter of equal level. Once they buff themselves up they are insane(and youre only losing like a hit point a level on average).
As far as Psions. Two words. Time Hop.
With a potion of haste you can drop a couple a round, and if just a couple work you win. 3d6 rounds is a really long time in a fight, and knocking the fighter types into the future is a Bad Thing (tm).
Still its up to you, but flavorwise these make more sense to me I guess. Still your right there probably are some fighters and wizards in there.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Cergorach said:
I really wanted a Psion instead of a wizard, but this combo really needs improved invisibility and haste, a psion doesn't have those abilities. But i'm thinking of making those two spells Psion powers. Anyone have anythoughts on this?

In "If thoughts could kill" there are lots of spells converted to powers.

Haste is Psyport 3, Improved Invisibility is Telep 4, although I would tweak either Improved Invisiblity or Amplified Invisibility (II -> Psykin 5 or AI -> Psykin 3)

And of course, they can always use magic to accomplish those things (boots of speed, potions.....)

You really should go with Psionic Classes, as they are far more appropriate for Mind Flayers. Even if you won't use the Spells as powers, you could go with Schism (like haste, but Mental functions only) and Amplified Invisibility (like Invisibility, but you'll get visible only after the second attack.

Remove ads