• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

mind flayers, possessors, or phrenic scourges?

Which of the three do you prefer?

• mind flayers

Votes: 43 78.2%
  • possessors

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • phrenic scourges

Votes: 8 14.5%

Geoffrey

First Post
Gary Gygax's mind flayer has been with us since 1975.

Philip J. Reed gave us a mind flayer variant called possessors (published in Possessors: Children of the Outer Gods).

Ari Marmell gave us a mind flayer variant called the phrenic scourge (published in The Iconic Bestiary -- Classics of Fantasy).

Which do you prefer, and why?

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I voted for Phil's Possessors for several reasons. It was the very first PDF product I ever bought (Christopher Shy's art really impressed me so much that I was willing to try PDFs for the first time, now I'm addicted), Phil was the first to have the idea of creating "replacements" for D&D monsters that weren't open content which I thought was cool, the possessor was still unique enough in its own right as a monster and not a knock off with the serial numbers scratched off, it works in other non-fantasy settings like modern horror or sci fi, there was much greater detail provided than you got with the mindflayer "out of the box", and I had a lot of fun using it in a Victorian horror campaign.

That said, Ari's book rocks on toast too! :)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Varianor Abroad said:
Aren't the other two OGC versions because the mind flayer really isn't?

I'd have to say the possessor is more of a replacement for the niche the mindflayer fills in D&D than a knock off of the actual mindflayer. The phrenic scourge however is a little more similar to the mindflayer, but it has some unique features as well. Both are well done.

Neil Bishop

First Post
I like all three but I have to give mind flayers the win simply because I have been using them since about 1982. 25 years of illithid-y goodness! ;)

Remove ads