• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mini Carrying case

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
I use these tackle boxes I got at Walmart, "Bait Box Multi Tackle Carrier" by Keter. Has 4 trays that snap in and out of the base carrier, and are very sturdy. I think they were about $7-8 each, I grabbed 4 or 5 of them for about the cost of a single Battlehive.

MVC-009F.JPG

The little dividers are movable to make different size compartments. They hold a lot of the plastic minis, and easily protect metals in the compartments with bubble wrap or cotton balls to protect them.

Vaxalon

First Post
I use embroidery floss boxes for the rare occasion that I have to bring minis.

Since I'm the DM, I bring minis for the monsters that the PC's are most likely to encounter.

diaglo

Adventurer
not that i hold a grudge or anything ;) ...PKitty...but i lugged 40 lbs of lead figures around with me at Gen Con this year. b/c Piratecat emailed me beforehand. he told me to prep for an OD&D game.

i had all of the pregen characters painted.

i had all of the cutout maps, handouts, scrolls, spellbooks, and other props.

i had the monster minis painted.

i had...

not that i hold a grudge or anything. :mad:

PKitty.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
The big double layered pistol cases sold at Wally World for $10. A friend of mine uses rifle cases, but I find them too awkward.

While carrying the figures to the game I was asked by a cop to open the case to show him that it wasn't a gun.
The next week the same cop asked me to open the case again - he wanted to show his partner, they were both gamers....

The Auld Grump, sometimes the world is a bit surreal...

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Gnarlo said:
I use these tackle boxes I got at Walmart, "Bait Box Multi Tackle Carrier" by Keter. Has 4 trays that snap in and out of the base carrier, and are very sturdy. I think they were about $7-8 each, I grabbed 4 or 5 of them for about the cost of a single Battlehive.

MVC-009F.JPG

The little dividers are movable to make different size compartments. They hold a lot of the plastic minis, and easily protect metals in the compartments with bubble wrap or cotton balls to protect them.

Now THATS perfect! can you find a link to buy that on Walmarts site?!

Altalazar

First Post
I have a ton of fish-tackle boxes that are wonderful for counters - I keep my entire set of Advanced Squad Leader stuff in there - with multiple sets of some counters. Ok, that is WAY Off topic (does anyone play that?)

Anyway -

For my metal painted minis I have them in a gun carrying case - it can hold about 150 minis comfortably - with foam on both sides, in the egg-holder style, that is just about big enough for a mini to squeeze into each one - a squeeze is ok, because the foam will move around them. It is only a slight issue with delicate minis, which I would store elsewhere.

For the plastic ones just put out, probably the fish tackle box would work ok - I wouldn't want metal ones banging around in there, but plastic would probably be alright.

Ashrem Bayle said:
Can someone give me a rough estimate as to how many D&D scale minis you could comfortably fit in a Battlehive? It's kinda hard to judge by the pics.
Since you can customize the foam (depending on where you cut it), it depends. I have figures that I consider "standard" but with a large weapon, they take up more space. Especially when a large weapon has replaced a smaller one.

The foam is 'scored' on a small scale (about 1/4" or 1/5" grid), and you cut out the foam you need to accommodate the fig. So, if you're assembling a halfling village, you'll get a lot more figs in the case than a tribe of orcs weilding great swords.

That said, I have about 10 figs and they take up less than 1/2 of one foam tray. I can give some exact measurements tonight if you like. The BattleHive comes with several foam trays (4 or 5, I think--one is double-thickness (twice as deep as the other foam trays)).

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Barendd Nobeard said:
Since you can customize the foam (depending on where you cut it), it depends. I have figures that I consider "standard" but with a large weapon, they take up more space. Especially when a large weapon has replaced a smaller one.

The foam is 'scored' on a small scale (about 1/4" or 1/5" grid), and you cut out the foam you need to accommodate the fig. So, if you're assembling a halfling village, you'll get a lot more figs in the case than a tribe of orcs weilding great swords.

That said, I have about 10 figs and they take up less than 1/2 of one foam tray. I can give some exact measurements tonight if you like. The BattleHive comes with several foam trays (4 or 5, I think--one is double-thickness (twice as deep as the other foam trays)).

No need. Thanks! It sounds like it should hold 100 minis pretty easily. Thats all I needed to know.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Gnarlo said:

Thanks for the tip. This looks great to me.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
minis-118a.jpg

One of those Citadel boxes. All the gaming happens at my house these days though, so it's not really a travel case anymore so much as a place to store the ones not on display on the wall.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads